Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend wants to become a speech and language therapist. The thing is, she wears the nikab. I feel bad because I don't think she will get into the course. When she asks 'do I have a chance of getting in?' I always smile and say sure! But.. I dunno.

Do you think I should just tell her to consider other careers?

ReputationRep:
    Why should it harm her chances of getting into that course and not other career choices?

(Original post by SirRamAlot)
    Why should it harm her chances of getting into that course and not other career choices?
    cuz.. they have to see her mouth when she talks..

ReputationRep:
    This is very conveniently timed. It coincides with the half dozen burqa threads we have running atm :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    This is very conveniently timed. It coincides with the half dozen burqa threads we have running atm :holmes:
    Exactly, just take it off keep on your scarf thought and you should be fine.

(Original post by Sakujo)
    Exactly, just take it off keep on your scarf thought and you should be fine.
    I don't think she'll do that... because it's 'fard' or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't think she'll do that... because it's 'fard' or something?
    No it's not as far as I'm aware.

No it's not as far as I'm aware.
    I think she's quite strictly Muslim though... should I recommend she goes for another career?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how she can be a speach therapist if she won't show her face..She'd need to help patients with mouth movements for sounds and she wouldn't be able to do this as well if they couldn't see hers as an example if she covered her own mouth 24/7

ReputationRep:
    I think she's quite strictly Muslim though... should I recommend she goes for another career?
    I'd recommend her to be sensible, the burqa is a good thing but obligatory in Islam.

(Original post by gm15)
    I don't see how she can be a speach therapist if she won't show her face..She'd need to help patients with mouth movements for sounds and she wouldn't be able to do this as well if they couldn't see hers as an example if she covered her own mouth 24/7
    I think that too... but would it be discrimination if they turned her down based on her nikab? I know it sounds silly.. but there are laws?

ReputationRep:
    but obligatory in Islam.
    No it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    I think that too... but would it be discrimination if they turned her down based on her nikab? I know it sounds silly.. but there are laws?
    It would be discrimination, but not illegal discrimination. It would be entirely legitimate and sensible discrimination based on her ability to carry out her function which would be, as you say, impaired by her burqa.

ReputationRep:
    Well i know they can't discriminate on religious grounds but I'm sure there are muslims on the course so if they turned her down it would be because she wouldn't be able to fully complete the practical aspect of the course as her face is covered (leading the the issues i said before.

No idea about if they could leagally keep her off the course for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It would be discrimination, but not illegal discrimination. It would be entirely legitimate and sensible discrimination based on her ability to carry out her function which would be, as you say, impaired by her burqa.
    this

ReputationRep:
    Surely she realises herself that covering her face would seriously impair her ability to do the course/job?

What if she used a video of a person speaking to show the patients how to do it?

ReputationRep:
    What if she used a video of a person speaking to show the patients how to do it?
    I'm no expert, but I imagine that would be very arduous and impractical to have to have a video ready to go for every single tiny thing she needs to show. And it also may not be clear from watching a video.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.