Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Driving Questions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Got my test on wednesday so i have a few questions

After an emergency stop when you move off again do you need ot indicate or do you just go

If when told to stopat the side you stop infront of a house and you realise this can you state it and ask to move to a different place which is more suitabel or s it too late.

Can you pull out and retyry a manouvre mid way if you are going to be e.g. to ofar away from the kerb on a parralel park.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    1) you just move off. You are in the middle of the road so no indication is needed.

2) you stop where asked safely, you will not be asked to stop if it isnt possible to do so legally. however if asked too just do it.

3) yes. you will get a minor. just say i have got this wrong, if all else is ok you will just get a minor.

ReputationRep:
    1) you don't have to indicate but remember to check blind spot on both driver side and passenger side (you are now in middle of the road, so people can be in the blind spot on either side of you)

2) Just do as he says.

3)Yes, if your gonna mount the curve (major) you should just stop, check blind spot n move back out and re-do it and only get a minor.

Main thing, remember mirrors every 5-8 seconds...
    and ahead from left unless marked otherwise. Also if there are no directions and you cannot go ahead, turn left.

If the road ahead has a no-through road sign, turn left unless told otherwise.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    for 2 sorry i meant when he says stop at a safe and suitable place and i stop infront of a house's drive and then i realise that its not suitable- can i say this isnt suitable and ask if its ok to move to a suitable place

and 2 other things- when e.g. stoppnig to do a parallel park when pulling up beside the other car do you need to indicate left to say that you are stopping

do you need to indicate left when reversing around a corner

when driving into a parking space with the head in do you follow the procedure of reverse bay parking when you turn to the lock when half way through the bay before the one you want

thanks

You shouldn't stop and then realise it's not suitable, you check if it's suitable and then stop if it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by appleboy786)
    Got my test on wednesday so i have a few questions

After an emergency stop when you move off again do you need ot indicate or do you just go
    Just go. There isn't really anything you can do to indicate: you'll be in the middle of the road, so you can't indicate right as you would if you were pulling off. Anyway, there won't be any cars about so no need to indicate.

If when told to stopat the side you stop infront of a house and you realise this can you state it and ask to move to a different place which is more suitabel or s it too late.
    I wouldn't worry about it. On two tests I've been told to just ignore drive-ways, the examiners didn't seem too fussed. The worst you would get would be a minor - park away from a drive-way if possible, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Can you pull out and retyry a manouvre mid way if you are going to be e.g. to ofar away from the kerb on a parralel park.
    Yes, but I think you can only do it once. If you were just going to be a bit too far away from the kerb, I wouldn't bother. If you end up being a bit too far from the kerb, you *might* get a minor. If you pull out and retry, you will definitely get a minor, and as you'll probably be quite stressed you will risk completely screwing it up - take the minor rather than the major.
    Definitely pull out and re-do if you are going to hit or mount the kerb though.

ReputationRep:
    Always check the blind spots on both sides of the car, there may be other vehicles nearby at this point. If so, indicate left and pull up to the kerb, let the other vehicles pass you safely and then make to pull away from the kerb, as per normal.

If you are asked to park or pull in by the roadside, in a safe and convenient place, then avoid the driveways, they are easy to spot.

If you are doing any reversing, and you feel it is going astray, then stop, reassess what needs to be done, and maybe pull forward safely, and redo and repair the part that went wrong. It is better to get a minor point, than to hit the kerb or swing out too far, and receive a serious fault. Try to keep these repairs to a minimum. Good luck on your driver test. Remember, to listen to what the examiner says at the end, the debrief, because if you don't reach the required standard this time, the information will be relevant and would need to be addressed before the next test. For further information please go to www.billplant.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    6-8 point check!!!!
    check EVERYWHERE around the car before pulling off, then make sure you check your mirrors and blind spot one more time each.

Edit: this only applies to emergency stop

ReputationRep:
    On a manoeuvre if you know its about to go wrong just stop. THEN ASK the examiner can you start again. Do NOT just start again because sometimes they won't allow it.

Also when stopping at the side of a road you dont just suddenly turn and stop as he says.. you go further up the road pull in and carry on driving (while pulled in) until you are not blocking a ramp etc. Do not just pull in and stop and drive forward if wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    On two tests I've been told to just ignore drive-ways, the examiners didn't seem too fussed.
    Where the examiner tells you to disregard a driveway "on this occasion", it's for a reason and you should do as he says. If on the other hand, he asks you to pull up "at a convenient place", then the choice of place matters as this is marked as a normal stop. See item 25 on your test report.

The worst you would get would be a minor
    Until a car wants access to / egress from the driveway while you're blocking it...in which case you'll be rebooking soon. Best to avoid the driveways while in "slow roll mode" as JakeM says.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.