Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Keep anon.

I'm at Kent, Medway campus, and everyone here seems to be really stupid, ignorant and inconsiderate.

I've just got back from the Christmas break at home and it's just made me realise how bad it is here! My flatmates are so loud, constantly slamming doors and already burning their food, and I actually feel like I've not had a decent, intelligent conversation with anyone here! Including the people on my course; they all seem quite dim and like a bunch of alcoholics.

For me, the logical answer would be 'join societies you're interested in', but there are none that interest me. The next answer would be 'go out more', but there doesn't seem to be anywhere close by.

I'm at my wits end here, I don't want years of solitude, nor do I want to have the same conversation about how I 'got so bladdered last weekend that I...'. What do I do, TSR?

ReputationRep:
    You should have worked harder and got into a better uni :dontknow: or maybe your conceited, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    It's highly unlikely everyone at your uni is stupid. So it's probably a case of keep searching and bide your time till you find the right people for you, there will be some! Then you can move in with them next year and not put up with your current flatmates. Or if it's effecting you that much then pack up and move on although you will probably be faced with the same problems.

Maybe join Mensa or a debating team :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Haha I live in Kent, I feel for you.

(Original post by Trigger)
    You should have worked harder and got into a better uni :dontknow: or maybe your conceited, who knows.
    It's the only one that does my university course the way I liked. I like the course, it's just the people.

(Original post by Yekim_8)
    It's highly unlikely everyone at your uni is stupid. So it's probably a case of keep searching and bide your time till you find the right people for you, there will be some! Then you can move in with them next year and not put up with your current flatmates. Or if it's effecting you that much then pack up and move on although you will probably be faced with the same problems.

Maybe join Mensa or a debating team :dontknow:
    The thing is, I'm not *that* intelligent, it's just that I haven't been on the same wavelength to the people I've met so far. And I'm really worried that I'm not enjoying anyone elses company enough to even tolerate the idea of moving in with them next year.

As for the debating team, there isn't one here. There aren't very many societies to join at all http://www.umsa.org.uk/pages/student...ies/societies/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's the only one that does my university course the way I liked. I like the course, it's just the people.

The thing is, I'm not *that* intelligent, it's just that I haven't been on the same wavelength to the people I've met so far. And I'm really worried that I'm not enjoying anyone elses company enough to even tolerate the idea of moving in with them next year.

As for the debating team, there isn't one here. There aren't very many societies to join at all http://www.umsa.org.uk/pages/student...ies/societies/
    Hmm I see what you mean about the societies. You could always start your own I guess but its quite a hassle.

If you like the course your doing so much then maybe it's just one of those things you'll have to tolerate/sacrifice. But I still think there has to be someone there that you can enjoy being in there company for, just might take a while to find.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job - an interesting one if you can* - it will help you meet other people on a regular basis.

*My uni used to give out student jobs inside university departments - so for example one could work 5-20h/week as a technician in a science lab, and similar for other departments. Not so well paid though, but potentially very interesting.

(Original post by llys)
    Get a job - an interesting one if you can* - it will help you meet other people on a regular basis.

*My uni used to give out student jobs inside university departments - so for example one could work 5-20h/week as a technician in a science lab, and similar for other departments. Not so well paid though, but potentially very interesting.
    Nice idea, I'll look into it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear god I know exactly what you mean! At school I had a group of really great friends, we were all really different in our views/opinions/tastes but we were really good friends anyway. We used to debate about current affairs and religion and have really good talks all the time. We were all quite intelligent, got good GCSE's etc. And then I moved about an hour away. And the people down here are SKANKS!
    Honestly, I haven't had a decent conversation with anybody. They're thick as ****, they are so narrow minded it's unreal, they only ever listen to mainstream pop music, they are obsessed with tv and spend the entire day talking about Eastenders and other crap like that, they have no political or religious views and if I ever talk to them about it they look like I've just hit them round the head with a spade.
    ARGGGHHHH. They can't cook, they have no life skills and just live in their own little box and think that the world centres around them. Honestly I don't know what to do with myself. I hate the lot of them. Arghhh just thinking about it makes me sooo mad!!! I really feel for you because at least I don't have to live with these people lol.

ReputationRep:
    Thankfully my friends are quite intelligent, if not, sometimes, a little narrow-minded. If all else fails and they are as stupid as you say, then maybe as the year ends their ineptitude will naturally cull them from the course? Can always hope for that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.