Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have just made a complaint cause im 100% then wrote that wrong. and im going to get my teacher to make a complaint too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muzz.r)
    i have just made a complaint cause im 100% then wrote that wrong. and im going to get my teacher to make a complaint too.
    i do a level maths too, but i think the equation was right, it just depends how you used it. With the formula on the paper you find the number, going from the highest number to the lowest if using 3*(n+1/4) to find the lower quartile range. but if you start with the lowest number as the first one, then it will be n+1/4 to find the lower quartile and 3*(n+1/4) to find the upper. So did you start with the lowest number as the first value, then work up? as that may be why you got confused!
    Hope this makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Stop panicking....
    I messed up quite a few questions if that makes anyone feel better
    The IQR is something like 357 or 350-odd...

That OS map was hard, as for the meander question... WHY DID THAT COME UP!?

I was there walking to school this afternoon thinking - rivers plz, it's slightly easier, and look where it has got me.

Be careful what you wish for!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i thought that but it didnt say start from the bottom so some people may of counted from the top. it was really ambiguous, especially for people who arent great at maths. i think they do need to look into it as some people will of started from the top and counted downwards rather than the bottom and upwards.

ReputationRep:
    I was really hoping for population! :rolleyes:

The OS map was where i think ive lost the most marks and i think i might have drawn the cross section wrong, was it 50, then a dip to 10 then back up to 50 at the end, or was there another dip somewhere? im sure the line on the map blocked out one of the numbers :eek:

oh well, that was my last exam so now i can relax

ReputationRep:
    I counted from the top downwards on the IQR question and got a positive number, 300 and something I think. On the meanders I labelled erosion + deposition, potential oxbow lake and where it would migrate. My cross profile also went 50 to 10 then back up to 50 but it was difficult to work out and explaining why was a nightmare. I've called the contour lines isobars aswell

ReputationRep:
    50 dips down to 40, then 30, then 20 then 10, going back up to 30 then 50 i think. It's a very wide U shaped valley.

Yeah my last exam too. Gonna go to a chinese buffet with some friends tomoz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamBFC)
    I counted from the top downwards on the IQR question and got a positive number, 300 and something I think. On the meanders I labelled erosion + deposition, potential oxbow lake and where it would migrate. My cross profile also went 50 to 10 then back up to 50 but it was difficult to work out and explaining why was a nightmare. I've called the contour lines isobars aswell
    Precisely what I did. Except i forgot about the point-bar deposit and all that... -.-

ReputationRep:
    the 7 marker was the worst, i dont think i got any of it tbh

Also, what did people write when decribing the dispersion, was it ok to say that the big IQR meant variations in rainfall and talk about max and min values??

ReputationRep:
    crap - i forgot to talk about IQR.
    i talked about 50% near the median, the range. CRAP CRAP CRAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren_lee)
    i do a level maths too, but i think the equation was right, it just depends how you used it. With the formula on the paper you find the number, going from the highest number to the lowest if using 3*(n+1/4) to find the lower quartile range. but if you start with the lowest number as the first one, then it will be n+1/4 to find the lower quartile and 3*(n+1/4) to find the upper. So did you start with the lowest number as the first value, then work up? as that may be why you got confused!
    Hope this makes sense!
    If you counted from the top it still qould have given a negative IQR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark-Myth)
    crap - i forgot to talk about IQR.
    i talked about 50% near the median, the range. CRAP CRAP CRAP.
    dont worry about it, 4 markers are point marked so if you made 4 valid points then you will still get the marks even if you didnt mention everything! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Uggh, probably the hardest of my 4 exams this month, although I was suspecting it would be quite easy =/

I was really hoping for population, but thankfully there weren't any stupid 'summarise' questions like in the past papers.

And yeah, the 7 marker with AB / CD was definitely the hardest for me, Question 2 was pretty fine for me, not sure if I managed to blab on about enough stuff for the full marks on all of the questions, but yeah :P

Also that meander question was very suprising tbh, our teachers had been saying all along "no content, just skills". Thankfully I remembered the main idea from GCSE, but pretty unfair imo for a lot of people :|

ReputationRep:
    UQ: 1019
    LQ: 662

i worked out a load of other values using the stupid formula, but decided none made sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Mazz_Peace*)
    dont worry about it, 4 markers are point marked so if you made 4 valid points then you will still get the marks even if you didnt mention everything! :yep:
    Let's hope it is like as you said and i still get A

my hiccups:
    Q2 - the weakness and to what extent ur conclusions support the underpining theory
    Q1- AB CD 7 marker, meander and the rainfall question

ReputationRep:
    On the plus side, 34/50 is A in Jan 09. On the other hand this is defo gonna go up this year.

ReputationRep:
    what did everyone get for the median of the rainfall?

ReputationRep:
    wat did everyone think fo the courseowrk questions

ReputationRep:
    I didnt realise the equations were wrong. Hope I got the answer right. 7 mark was diffiult talked, about glaciers in the end. Never mind hey only 42 marks.

ReputationRep:
    *only 60 marks sorry
    42 was my mark last time

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 24, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.