Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    The only way the world will ever be better is when Nationalism ***** off
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Heartbreaking . This world is an awful place at times.

ReputationRep:
    Utterly tragic...how can humans do this to one another. And yet, how are we still existing? Because human nature fundamentally recognizes that we have to avoid conflict, and help others, or we'll all just die off...think of all the times we HAVEN'T been to war, all the peacekeepers and NGO workers saving lives, the doctors, the human rights lawyers, the average person who gives a fiver to charity...altruism may or may not exist, but we're not pure evil. Selfish perhaps, but not evil. There is enormous good and beauty in this world, human and natural. It's just a matter of not ignoring it.

I like that thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    I used to hate that anti-nationalistic sentiment when I was younger... but I'm beginning to grow more receptive towards it as a very powerful argument.

Of course, nationalism is something that will never be lost but can only subdue as it is part of our very nature to form societies and be protective and territorial, but the damage done as a result is so great that maybe the human psyche needs modernising to craft a better future for us all. :dontknow:
    As long as Humanity>Nationalism the world should be good

ReputationRep:
    That Buddhist Priest was awesome.

ReputationRep:
    So is this:

Some of us aren't so pessimistic. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Thanks for making me feel terrible... so much suffering in the world and it's pretty much all avoidable.

Can you explain the last one if you have more details? It's genuinely distressing.

2003 if im not Wrong in Iraq, a bunch of prisoners were sexually harrased and humiliated by a few American soldiers. Alot of them ended up being killed through methods of electricution e.t.c.

The man seems to be comforting his son because he knows what'll happen next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    How so?
    because people for some reason seem to believe that the life of a fellow countrymen is more important than the life of someone for a different country, this means that they are more likely to help people from their own country even if they aren't dying that those who may be dying which therefore means that the wealthy nations keep getting wealthier yet the poor countries are ignored and left to die.

thankfully though some people aren't that nationalistic and appreciate the value of human life and do give money to help other people however if more people did this the world would be a better place

ReputationRep:
    learned that that priest had some sick self control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    What do you think should be done about this situation (I'm not saying you have the power to change it, but if you did, what changes do you think would help the situation out).

I know exactly what can help me/my situation but as you said I do not have the power thus making it all the more tragic and hard to cope with. Nevermind. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    But i must say : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0

I love the whole world!

ReputationRep:
    because people for some reason seem to believe that the life of a fellow countrymen is more important than the life of someone for a different country, this means that they are more likely to help people from their own country even if they aren't dying that those who may be dying which therefore means that the wealthy nations keep getting wealthier yet the poor countries are ignored and left to die.

thankfully though some people aren't that nationalistic and appreciate the value of human life and do give money to help other people however if more people did this the world would be a better place
    You are just looking at nationalism in one way. If the entire world became nationalistic then they would all find an identity in their nation and work towards its greater good, it would end corruption of government and countless other things. In fact for some countries a sense of nationalism in its leaders would help it more than donations from rich nations.

ReputationRep:
    What do I think? I think the world sucks, but I've always known that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    You are just looking at nationalism in one way. If the entire world became nationalistic then they would all find an identity in their nation and work towards its greater good, it would end corruption of government and countless other things. In fact for some countries a sense of nationalism in its leaders would help it more than donations from rich nations.
    Money makes the world go round. Nationalism doesn't

Also i would rather people didn't had a sense of pride over something so random as the country you were born in and rather appreciate the human life and work towards a more fairer society.

PS: aliens visiting earth would bring about peace to earth as well

ReputationRep:
    It makes me think that there is no limit to the levels of depravity that people can sink to.

And that saddens me.

ReputationRep:
    Money makes the world go round. Nationalism doesn't

Also i would rather people didn't had a sense of pride over something so random as the country you were born in and rather appreciate the human life and work towards a more fairer society.

PS: aliens visiting earth would bring about peace to earth as well
    Explain how giving money to a nation that is run by a corrupt government can help it any possible way?

Now when you can't think of anyway it can help it imagine if the government shared a sense of nationalism and in turn cared about their country and its people.

ReputationRep:
    I liked all of them but I couldn't hold it in any longer and came on the seventh. I liked the third and seventh the most. Especially the seventh that's really hot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Explain how giving money to a nation that is run by a corrupt government can help it any possible way?

Now when you can't think of anyway it can help it imagine if the government shared a sense of nationalism and in turn cared about their country and its people.
    most dictators believe what they are doing is for the betterment of their country, if nationalism didn't exist they wouldn't think that hence problem solved

ReputationRep:
    most dictators believe what they are doing is for the betterment of their country, if nationalism didn't exist they wouldn't think that hence problem solved
    I'm not talking about dictators, I'm talking about corrupt governments.

ReputationRep:
    i dont feel anything if im honest

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.