The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That kids hand has made me depressed :pierre:
i really dont see the point that is being made here.
is there one, or is this just a general proclaimation that humans are *****?
Reply 62
Moe Lester
All you have done is picked some of the worst images possible, it hardly is representative of what humanity has achieved as a net sum, people aren't confronted with that every day....is it not inevitable horrid things will happen.

By the way I am not by any means attempting to devalue the pictures, just put a bit of persepective on the humans are **** rhetoric.

WE aren't confronted with that everyday in our cushy little western bubble.
Reply 63
Well that well and truly depressed me :frown:

It puts my problems in to perspective though.
Reply 64
To be honest, everyone knows what this world is like, we all just choose to not think about it and carry on like it isn't happening. I don't think this is going to change, me included.
These pictures certainly put things in perspective.

This Pulitzer prize winning image came to mind while looking at the others:

The photographer was driven to suicide by the guilt of not helping that child.
Reply 66
DJkG.1
Thanks for making me feel terrible... so much suffering in the world and it's pretty much all avoidable. :frown:

Can you explain the last one if you have more details? It's genuinely distressing.

What else is there to explain really? Looks like a guy(with a black bag over his head), comforting his son, both of whom are encaged by what seems like a hell of alot of barbed wire- aka prison.
It's hardly the most distressing picture of the bunch now is it? I take it you don't have a television to watch the news. Watch one, you get to see many distressing images very quickly, with audio too, to hear the bullets and screaming.
loki276
Money makes the world go round. Nationalism doesn't

Also i would rather people didn't had a sense of pride over something so random as the country you were born in and rather appreciate the human life and work towards a more fairer society.

PS: aliens visiting earth would bring about peace to earth as well :smile:

I would rather people didn't have a sense of pride over something so random as the species you were born into and rather appreciate all life and work towards a fairer world.

P.S: aliens destroying Earth would bring about peace as well. Sometimes the cost of peace is greater than the cost of war. :smile:
Reply 68

Closer to home, I think this is what our world will become.

But in reply to the original post, I think the only way the hardships of these people can be solved is through political awareness and action. I think its very good that most of the people who have seen this thread now feel very disillusioned about how other people's lives are compared to their own, because they may well donate more money to charity, and even change their voting to oppose damaging decisions involving foreign countries.

The world is a messed up place.
Reply 70
Altocirrus
These pictures certainly put things in perspective.

This Pulitzer prize winning image came to mind while looking at the others:

The photographer was driven to suicide by the guilt of not helping that child.

**** me, who was that?
I find the self-discipline of the Buddhist priest to be . . . incredible. Numbing, almost.

Yes, this is our world. Far, far more brutal things happen on a day to day basis than those photos could ever portray. It's sick - we're sick.

I don't think any of us can really comprehend the scale of human and animal suffering at the hand of humanity. It's like trying to imagine the entire universe.
channy
**** me, who was that?

Kevin Carter.

The suicide was not directly linked to that child but the weight of what he had seen and photographed is mentioned in his suicide note.
Reply 73
Schmokie Dragon
Kevin Carter.

The suicide was not directly linked to that child but the weight of what he had seen and photographed is mentioned in his suicide note.

**** me...

Spoiler

Reply 74
This has truly made me depressed. How can we have so much and people have so little? I know we "know this" but how many times do we actually comprehend it?. Why do we suffer so much... guess I'll look at some Buddhism tbh:P
Reply 75
Schmokie Dragon
I find the self-discipline of the Buddhist priest to be . . . incredible. Numbing, almost.

Yes, this is our world. Far, far more brutal things happen on a day to day basis than those photos could ever portray. It's sick - we're sick.

I don't think any of us can really comprehend the scale of human and animal suffering at the hand of humanity. It's like trying to imagine the entire universe.

Most of the suffering in the world is animal on animal, humans happen to be an animal and so commit animalistic acts. Without society we would still be killing and being killed but now we are advancing slowly, not as fast as I would like, but the world is getting better.
......?
Most of the suffering in the world is animal on animal, humans happen to be an animal and so commit animalistic acts. Without society we would still be killing and being killed but now we are advancing slowly, not as fast as I would like, but the world is getting better.

There are very few species that have a proven capacity for empathy.

When we kill, we know we are killing, we know the individual does not want to die, we know what we are taking away from them when we kill them, we know how scared they are, we know we are violating their rights, etc.

When a lion kills a gazelle, there is no evidence that he knows what he is doing beyond satisfying the need to hunt for survival.

Yes, we are animals but we are animals who know what they are doing to a very, very fine degree and are very capable of achieving our ends (namely survival) without causing suffering along the way.
Reply 77
Just as I was looking at the horrific images, "Heal the world" came up on my itunes:frown:
This is our world. You're right.

And we are responsible for it. In every one of those pictures. In every instance. We could have done something to stop it, but didn't.

People often say that charity, helping others and caring for people other than yourself is a bad thing. They'd never return the favour! They should learn to help themselves! They'll never be able to support themselves tomorrow if we help them today!

No. They, like us, are people. If we could not imagine ourselves digging ourselves out of their ruts, how can we reasonably, humanly, except them to do it? Are they any more capable than us? No.

It is a grand, collective tragedy of humanity that in the 20/1st century, those things continue to happen. And it is not, none of them are, unfixable problems. It takes the donation of a few tractors and capital to solve resource problems; it takes commitment to democracy, humanity and peace, in our countries or those of the less fortunate to prevent political problems.

But this requires small sacrifices from all of us. A small percentage of our GDP spent to maintain peacekeeping troops. A small percentage of our GDP spent to donate capital to those who cannot possibly afford it. A small number of deaths of our troops to keep the citizens of another country safe.

But are most nations, most people, willing to make this sacrifice? No. And so these tragedies continue.

Latest

Trending

Trending