Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    **** me, who was that?
    Kevin Carter.

The suicide was not directly linked to that child but the weight of what he had seen and photographed is mentioned in his suicide note.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    Kevin Carter.

The suicide was not directly linked to that child but the weight of what he had seen and photographed is mentioned in his suicide note.
    **** me...

Spoiler:
    Show
    "I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners...I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky."

ReputationRep:
    This has truly made me depressed. How can we have so much and people have so little? I know we "know this" but how many times do we actually comprehend it?. Why do we suffer so much... guess I'll look at some Buddhism tbh:P

ReputationRep:
    I find the self-discipline of the Buddhist priest to be . . . incredible. Numbing, almost.

Yes, this is our world. Far, far more brutal things happen on a day to day basis than those photos could ever portray. It's sick - we're sick.

I don't think any of us can really comprehend the scale of human and animal suffering at the hand of humanity. It's like trying to imagine the entire universe.
    Most of the suffering in the world is animal on animal, humans happen to be an animal and so commit animalistic acts. Without society we would still be killing and being killed but now we are advancing slowly, not as fast as I would like, but the world is getting better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ......?)
    Most of the suffering in the world is animal on animal, humans happen to be an animal and so commit animalistic acts. Without society we would still be killing and being killed but now we are advancing slowly, not as fast as I would like, but the world is getting better.
    There are very few species that have a proven capacity for empathy.

When we kill, we know we are killing, we know the individual does not want to die, we know what we are taking away from them when we kill them, we know how scared they are, we know we are violating their rights, etc.

When a lion kills a gazelle, there is no evidence that he knows what he is doing beyond satisfying the need to hunt for survival.

Yes, we are animals but we are animals who know what they are doing to a very, very fine degree and are very capable of achieving our ends (namely survival) without causing suffering along the way.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Just as I was looking at the horrific images, "Heal the world" came up on my itunes

This is our world. You're right.

And we are responsible for it. In every one of those pictures. In every instance. We could have done something to stop it, but didn't.

People often say that charity, helping others and caring for people other than yourself is a bad thing. They'd never return the favour! They should learn to help themselves! They'll never be able to support themselves tomorrow if we help them today!

No. They, like us, are people. If we could not imagine ourselves digging ourselves out of their ruts, how can we reasonably, humanly, except them to do it? Are they any more capable than us? No.

It is a grand, collective tragedy of humanity that in the 20/1st century, those things continue to happen. And it is not, none of them are, unfixable problems. It takes the donation of a few tractors and capital to solve resource problems; it takes commitment to democracy, humanity and peace, in our countries or those of the less fortunate to prevent political problems.

But this requires small sacrifices from all of us. A small percentage of our GDP spent to maintain peacekeeping troops. A small percentage of our GDP spent to donate capital to those who cannot possibly afford it. A small number of deaths of our troops to keep the citizens of another country safe.

But are most nations, most people, willing to make this sacrifice? No. And so these tragedies continue.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    this just made me realize how ******* lucky i am.
    and how unlucky are those people suffering...
    and i cannot believe that god can look at all this and do nothing to help.
    there is no god, face it people.

ReputationRep:
    **** happens.

Lost of good happens to in this world. Personally I love the world. Most of the issues are because of despotic governments or insane beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    **** happens.

Lost of good happens to in this world. Personally I love the world. Most of the issues are because of despotic governments or insane beliefs.
    Or medics drinking too much snakebite :moon:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Or medics drinking too much snakebite :moon:.
    Sambucca is the cause for much **** in my life :moon:
    And viruses. Little ******* :mad:

ReputationRep:
    There are very few species that have a proven capacity for empathy.

When we kill, we know we are killing, we know the individual does not want to die, we know what we are taking away from them when we kill them, we know how scared they are, we know we are violating their rights, etc.

When a lion kills a gazelle, there is no evidence that he knows what he is doing beyond satisfying the need to hunt for survival.

Yes, we are animals but we are animals who know what they are doing to a very, very fine degree and are very capable of achieving our ends (namely survival) without causing suffering along the way.
    I think this is true for me and you, which is why people like us don't go around killing, we have empathy and we don't need to fight for resources. Most of the people that kill don't think they are violating rights, their mind is warped into thinking they don't have rights or that by letting the person live, their life will be worse.

I watched a video recently with Jane Goodall talking about chimpanzees and a part stood out, I can't find the video but this text gives the same idea.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Chimpanzee...ons&id=3511742

"Consistent with human behavior, chimpanzees (with the exception of bonobos) are fiercely territorial and may engage in war albeit primitive combat analogous to prehistoric man. Even though chimpanzees use rocks or their hands and feet in raw combat, the day of using spears and other crude weapons may not be far behind. At isolated times, chimpanzees have also displayed the same tendencies as humans for hate, rape, torture, mutilation, and genocide (documented in two certified cases).

The longest Chimpanzee war - the Gombe War (1974-1977), which originated when the Kasekela Community split into two groups (with the new group, the Kahama community, moving into a new valley in 1972) and ended in genocide was documented by Jane Goodall in The Chimpanzees of Gombe (Belknap Press, 1986). Starting in 1974, the Kasekela males formed a group and advanced into Kahama territory. Once there, they initiated violent aggression against the Kahama chimpanzees with the intent to kill since bodily assaults did not cease until their victims were completely incapacitated and mortally injured. During the attacks that lasted into 1977, the Kasekela males displayed "considerable excitement and enjoyment" as they anticipated capturing and actively killed their victims (who were mutilated and cannibalistically eaten or partially eaten). The Gombe War only ended when the Kahama community was completely exterminated and their lands taken over by the Kasekela community."

This makes me feel that all animals are capable of being violent and the idea of suvival might be different to someone who hasn't has a good education, and has been easy to manipulate by a higher power.

The only reason anybody in this world has rights is because of civilisations deciding that they do, humans are the only animal in this world with the power to act seemingly seflessly for another species without any gain. I'm not saying that we're perfect, just that we should understand that things can get better with people working towards a more peaceful world without just giving up and saying it's all societies/humans fault when the only reason anyone cares about the world is because of our ability to have a society.

ReputationRep:
    Farai Chideya talks to Dan Krauss, the director of The Death of Kevin Carter, an Oscar-nominated documentary about the life, work and suicide of a Pulitzer-prize winning South African photojournalist.

Carter's winning photo shows a heart-breaking scene of a starving child collapsed on the ground, struggling to get to a food center during a famine in the Sudan in 1993. In the background, a vulture stalks the emaciated child.

Carter was part of a group of four fearless photojournalists known as the "Bang Bang Club" who traveled throughout South Africa capturing the atrocities committed during apartheid.

Haunted by the horrific images from Sudan, Carter committed suicide in 1994 soon after receiving the award.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    But i must say : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at_f98qOGY0

I love the whole world!
    I love this commercial, I saw it last time on discovery and it made me smile. This world can be a ******* depressing and many times unfair place, but it is also awe-inspiring and wonderful at the same time. Most wonderful things were given to us and most bad things we ourselves caused.

ReputationRep:

I'm not going to comment on this for now but if you are government haters like i am, or at least blame the government for the state of your country (poverty illiteracy etc) then please listen to Linkin Park - Hands held high.

ReputationRep:
    We don't live in the perfect world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)

1980. A kid in Uganda about to die of hunger, and a missionaire.
    This is the most dreadful and painful pic I've ever seen *sigh*
    Our world sucks :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ajes)
    Linkin Park - Hands held high.
    No.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.