Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    You're a disgusting person. A child starving to death is something which is far more concerning than an abandoned kitten.
    to you maybe but not everyone thinks like you, some people do like animals more than people

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, stop being a stupid pessimist trying to depress us all.
    Life and the world is awesome. The biggest troubles I've faced are "Louis Vuitton or Gucci?" and "Shall I have the garlic bread, the breaded mushrooms, or both?". Our (My) world freaking rocks - and I'm thankful for that - don't try and bring us down with you! This is why I hardly ever watch the news, too much doom and gloom and murders - yawn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Life and the world is awesome. The biggest troubles I've faced are "Louis Vuitton or Gucci?" and "Shall I have the garlic bread, the breaded mushrooms, or both?". Our (My) world freaking rocks - and I'm thankful for that - don't try and bring us down with you! This is why I hardly ever watch the news, too much doom and gloom and murders - yawn.
    Empathy is what makes us human, so you pretty much fail at life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    Empathy is what makes us human, so you pretty much fail at life.
    No, I feel plenty sorry for these people. But there's nothing I can do about it so I'd rather not see it - why depress yourself for no reason?

ReputationRep:
    No, I feel plenty sorry for these people. But there's nothing I can do about it so I'd rather not see it - why depress yourself for no reason?
    I think the main point is to show some consideration at what others may be going through simply because they weren't as lucky as to what socio-economic background they were born into. Someone will be struggling to survive everyday from the day they are born simply because they were born in an impoverished environment. It also makes you appreciate the goals and efforts of aid agencies who are trying to make a difference. If you give some of your income to charitable causes you don't usually get to see the end result but this puts it into perspective.

ReputationRep:
    just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean it goes away

if we all ignored everything we don't want to see, how would anything change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ]

I was there that night. It will live with me forever, as it was a moment of history. A moment that shows how far the world has come, even it's not the whole way there yet!

ReputationRep:
    It's attitudes such as yours which perpetrate the cycle, there are things you can do. You sound like Mariah Carey.

ReputationRep:
    Why there's nothing you can do about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfrace)
    just because you don't want to see it doesn't mean it goes away
    No, but if I ignore it I can easily pretend it has. It's not like I would ever encounter hardship in my day to day life.
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    It's attitudes such as yours which perpetrate the cycle, there are things you can do. You sound like Mariah Carey.
    Awesome, I love Mariah Carey lol. I could do things such as...?
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Why there's nothing you can do about it?
    Because there isn't. Helping people is effort and I don't have any money that I'd want to give to them.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I love Mariah Carey lol. I could do things such as...?
    Live an ethical life. Volunteering with Oxfam would be worthwhile. Go and help out at your local shelter, old persons home...

ReputationRep:
    Something about poverty really gets to me, other than that, I have no care for the others.

ReputationRep:
    Live an ethical life. Volunteering with Oxfam would be worthwhile. Go and help out at your local shelter, old persons home...
    What exactly do you mean by living an ethical life?

ReputationRep:
    Because there isn't. Helping people is effort and I don't have any money that I'd want to give to them.
    That's such a shallow attitude.

You don't need money. You can help people without them...

ReputationRep:
    What exactly do you mean by living an ethical life?
    It's quite a broad term for sure. Doing any of the three activities I previously mentioned would all be part of it. To expand, recycling, not buying from companies which exploit cheap labour, conserving resources where possible, generally be a decent person...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    That's a such a shallow attitude.

You don't need money. You can help people without them...
    Yeah but if I'm honest I really can't be bothered to help people at the moment, maybe when I'm older and have all the money and stuff I want then I will.

It's quite a broad term for sure. Doing any of the three activities I previously mentioned would all be part of it. To expand, recycling, not buying from companies which exploit cheap labour, conserving resources where possible, generally be a decent person...
    Ok. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring all the good in the world is as almost bad as ignoring all the bad in the world, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)

Turn that frown upside down .
    AWWWWWH
    Thats the cutest kitten iv ever seen in my entire life.

Yes the pictures are sad

ReputationRep:
    I think you myself, what a wonderful world oooooh yeaaaa!

But in all seriousness, it's not all that bad

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're totally not what's wrong with humanity.

Good job at leading a shallow life cut and failing to feel empathy for those less fortunate than you. :facepalm:

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.