Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The 2010 AQA Philosophy A2 Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This thread is primarily for anyone sitting A2 in Summer 2010. But hopefully it will become a useful resource in the future.
    The aim of the thread is for the discussions of modules and selected texts, revision help, useful resources - notes, websites.
    I have loads of critical works in the form of word documents and E-Books which I shall upload as time goes by, I shall have to be careful with copyrighting etc so this may take a while.
    I'll keep tabs on thread content and update this post as good material arises. :rolleyes:
    AQA Specification

Unit 3 PHIL3 Key Themes in Philosophy

Philosophy of mind

Political philosophy

Epistemology and metaphysics

Moral philosophy

Click for textbook

Unit 4 PHIL4 Philosophical Problems

Hume - An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

Plato - The Republic

Mill - On Liberty

Descartes - Meditations

Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil

Click for textbook

Online Resources

General Resources

An extensive source of discussion and powerpoints on all modules and texts written by Michael Lacewing.
    CLICK

Useful guides and extensive synopses to all the Phil 4 texts.
    CLICK

Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc On Liberty (Ethics (Ready Reference series)).doc (30.0 KB, 153 views)
  2. File Type: doc On Liberty (Magill Book Reviews).doc (25.0 KB, 131 views)
  3. File Type: doc On Liberty (Masterplots, Revised Second Edition).doc (31.0 KB, 178 views)
  4. File Type: doc On Liberty (World Philosophers and Their Works).doc (40.0 KB, 140 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    AQA Specification

Unit 3 PHIL3 Key Themes in Philosophy

Philosophy of mind

Political philosophy

Epistemology and metaphysics

Moral philosophy

Unit 4 PHIL4 Philosophical Problems

Hume - An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

Plato - The Republic

Mill - On Liberty

Descartes - Meditations

Nietzsche - Beyond Good and Evil

Online Resources

General Resources

An extensive source of discussion and powerpoints on all modules and texts written by Michael Lacewing.
    CLICK

Useful guides and extensive synopses to all the Phil 4 texts.
    CLICK

yay im glad im not the only one studying this, do you have any notes on the philosophy of the mind? thanks
    Also, david camerons shinny head makes me sick:P
    Siobhan x

ReputationRep:
    For the Unit three do you choose two topics to learn out of the five?

ReputationRep:
    Useful links, thanks
    Got the end of AS stuff to finish then all of A2. Distance learning blitz.. And it's all got to be done so soon
    Doing Mill and Politcal and Moral philsophy for A2 so i'll try post my thoughts nearer the time (when i've done it..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookinglass)
    Useful links, thanks
    Got the end of AS stuff to finish then all of A2. Distance learning blitz.. And it's all got to be done so soon
    Doing Mill and Politcal and Moral philsophy for A2 so i'll try post my thoughts nearer the time (when i've done it..)
    I'm distance learning too However in my course we're doing Plato's Republic (a bit tricky for the DL course, though). Are you doing all of it in one year then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    For the Unit three do you choose two topics to learn out of the five?
    There are only four topics. But yes, you only do two.

I'm doing moral and political philos, which is a shame because I'd love to do more metaphysics and epistemology. But I guess I can wait until next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Histrionics)
    I'm distance learning too However in my course we're doing Plato's Republic (a bit tricky for the DL course, though). Are you doing all of it in one year then?
    I think Republic will be more exciting though :P Yep, I'm doing it all in a year. Doing exams for AS this May and exams for A2 in June.. Got loooads to do, but as it's my only course i'm putting in about 8 hours a day (starting from today haha) so I better get an A! How is yours going?

ReputationRep:
    I think Republic will be more exciting though :P Yep, I'm doing it all in a year. Doing exams for AS this May and exams for A2 in June.. Got loooads to do, but as it's my only course i'm putting in about 8 hours a day (starting from today haha) so I better get an A! How is yours going?
    If you put in 8 hours a day until the exam and don't get over 90 UMS then I will be very, very surprised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tldr22)
    If you put in 8 hours a day until the exam and don't get over 90 UMS then I will be very, very surprised.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Just got to slog away now

ReputationRep:
    Going to post some more naughty pdfs... the TSR server doesn't allow for the file sizes I need 8)

Lacewing (the chief examiner) is coming to my school in a few days so I am going to rinse him for all he's worth in regards to the approach of the larger question we all face at A2.

Will keep y'all posted

ReputationRep:
    Going to post some more naughty pdfs... the TSR server doesn't allow for the file sizes I need 8)

Lacewing (the chief examiner) is coming to my school in a few days so I am going to rinse him for all he's worth in regards to the approach of the larger question we all face at A2.

Will keep y'all posted
    Do you get 100UMS each phil exam?

ReputationRep:
    Do you get 100UMS each phil exam?
    Nope. A guy in my class got 100 ums on phil1 though.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. A guy in my class got 100 ums on phil1 though.
    Ah, well, good luck with the next, you seem very motivated

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    What does distance learning meaning? not heard that term before

ReputationRep:
    Well I agree with whoever it was saying you would do fine if you put that much time in. The main thing about doing this course independently is keeping focused!

My course is going pretty well right now, my Jan resit has boosted my overall UMS which is making this year much easier. But now my school want me to be working towards A* :p: Oh well. As long as I don't keep leaving all my work for the night before the lesson I have! xD

ReputationRep:
    What does distance learning meaning? not heard that term before
    Well my school is part of a program where I'm given a folder full of work to get through independently, week by week, and then once a week I have a lesson with a teacher via webcam. It's hard work but in some ways I feel the course is better this way than having standard five lessons a week so it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    Well as I said Lacewing came to my school on friday. Really nice guy actually

He did some Nietzsche and the denial of moral truth for the Moral Philosophy but will also be of interest to anyone doing Beyond Good and Evil for Phil4. He then walked us through some stuff on deontology before talking for about half an hour on exam technique and precisely how to hit AO3. I think the last half an hour was probably the most rewarding, most of what he said on Nietzsche and Deontological ethics can be found in the text book and on his website.

If anyone is interested then I will type up what notes I made.

ReputationRep:
    But now my school want me to be working towards A*
    Wish I had a tutor who replied, never mind encouraged me :p: I don't think he knows how to use emails very well..

about half an hour on exam technique and precisely how to hit AO3.
    Any pointers from the exam technique chat would be great. Did you get starstruck by Lacey baby? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Did you get starstruck by Lacey baby? :lol:
    I certainly did. He's my hero.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.