Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freija)
    For the first question, I basically just regurgitated the First Meditiation! No analysis, though - only illustration. The question didn't ask for analysis, so if you'd given any, I think it wouldn't have been awarded any marks.

I started off by writing about what Descartes was trying to achieve through methodological scepticism - basically, to revolutionise what we think of as knowledge and to provide a formal, secure form of foundationalism based upon Clear and Distinct ideas. I used the analogy with Archimedes' fulcrum here, with his 'clear and distinct ideas' as the fixed point on which the world can be turned.

I talked about C+D ideas for a bit (said that they are a priori and that 'clear and distinctness' is NOT what makes an idea true, but is a way of knowing if it is true or not), and explained the importance of immunity to doubt for knowledge. I then explained how an attempt to doubt everything can help reveal those things which ARE immune to doubt - those things which we can know. I used his analogy with the edifice; that by removing the unsecure foundations of his old beliefs, the rest of them will fall and he will be left able to rebuild afresh.

I then went on to HOW he used doubt as a tool for achieving this. I basically just walked through his three waves of doubt, explaining the move from local, to global scepticism, how local scepticism gave him cause to question his beliefs in the FIRST place, and how, once he had achieved global scepticism with the Evil Demon argument, he was left in a position to discover his 'clear and distinct ideas' and go on to rebuild the framework of knowledge from them.
    That looks like a really solid answer to part A. :clap2:

Did you manage to get the timing right between the questions or end up with too little time on B from spending too long on A as you said you ran out of time on B?

ReputationRep:
    ...you think so? But surely not, with everything I missed out on ontological scepticism? Or did you mean just the 15-mark question? I pretty much have no idea, you know - I'm fast-tracking, so I have never had marks back for an externally-assessed philosophy exam.
    onological scepicism? mate you did amazing, this has made me depressed about how bad my exam was, and i thought it was goood

ReputationRep:
    Well, I ran out of time before I finished - but it may be simply that you managed to word everything succinctly. If you're happy about everything you put down, I wouldn't worry.
    hahahhaaa... it was an interesting year of education so I really dont know!
    Oh well, nothing I can do now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobhanbligh)
    onological scepicism? mate you did amazing, this has made me depressed about how bad my exam was, and i thought it was goood
    I mean, the ontological argument. *headdesk*

Seriously, I bet you've done well; maybe you can't hear it yourself, but you sound to me as though you really know your stuff. But! All we can do is forget about it for now, and have a really good summer.

Do you have any exciting plans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bacforever3)
    hahahhaaa... it was an interesting year of education so I really dont know!
    Oh well, nothing I can do now
    Very true - so I think we all just need to enjoy the summer, now. If all else fails, at least we can still say that there are no more philosophy exams for a few months, at least! :woo:

(Original post by TmanG)
    x
    Thank you! It really was a gift of a question, and I feel reasonably happy with my answer to that part. As I said to Siobhanbligh, it's the part two that has me worried - I overran on the first question by 15 minutes, so had 45 minutes instead of an hour for part B.

It sounds as though you've done brilliantly - definitely, your answer for the second question would have been much more full and rounded than mine(!) - and you've got a strong, sustained argument with conclusion in there, which is always worth a band or two extra on the mark scheme. And I wouldn't worry about the 'certainty as a mental state bit' - or at least, I didn't even think of putting that. I think certainty only applied to the question inasmuch as it's the ultimate goal of Descartes' doubt - after all, it asked about doubt specifically, not certainty.

ReputationRep:
    It's been a pleasure stressing out with you guys

Farewell! x

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do Nietzsche? I thought my will to power mastered those questions! A really nice paper.

ReputationRep:
    I mean, the ontological argument. *headdesk*

Seriously, I bet you've done well; maybe you can't hear it yourself, but you sound to me as though you really know your stuff. But! All we can do is forget about it for now, and have a really good summer.

Do you have any exciting plans?
    I just keep on going over what I said in my head and it now feels really under developed. I mean I talked about the cartesian circle, and how it affects not only the trademark argument and descartes entire philisophical enterpirse, but i didnt really talk much about Descartes divison of the mined and the body, and his belief of a priori innate ideas But your right hehe, its over Only got my politics exams to go now......
    Im working in a pub to save up some money over the summer, then im gonna go travelling for a few weeks before whatever Uni i end up in I think im gonna have to go through clearance
    What about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    It's been a pleasure stressing out with you guys

Farewell! x
    You to Hope you did well!

ReputationRep:
    Last exam over this morning. Have a good holiday guys, Thanks for all the help.

Love ya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobhanbligh)
    I just keep on going over what I said in my head and it now feels really under developed. I mean I talked about the cartesian circle, and how it affects not only the trademark argument and descartes entire philisophical enterpirse, but i didnt really talk much about Descartes divison of the mined and the body, and his belief of a priori innate ideas But your right hehe, its over Only got my politics exams to go now......
    Im working in a pub to save up some money over the summer, then im gonna go travelling for a few weeks before whatever Uni i end up in I think im gonna have to go through clearance
    What about yourself?
    Wellll... you didn't need to say anything about mind and body at all, if you did the God question - it just wasn't relevant (I really, really hope - I just can't see anywhere you'd have needed to bring it in). Unless, in your conclusion, you wanted to add that because he fails to prove God, he fails to prove that we can know anything beyond our own mind, including our bodies (and others' bodies... and minds... leading to solipsism). But even there, you don't actually need to talk about bodies, per se, just the problem of other minds.

I guess you could have mentioned bodies as an example of the extent of Descartes' doubt in the third wave/Evil demon argument - i.e. that he can now doubt even things which seem manifestly to be true - for the first question. But again, I don't think you needed to - the question wasn't so much about what he can doubt as about why he wants to entertain doubt, and how he gets there.

And the a priori innate ideas only really needed to come into it in the first question, inasmuch as the Clear and Distinct ideas have to be a priori because he proves that we can doubt anything based on the senses.

Anyway! Best of luck with politics - and with your summer, too - the pub work/travelling combination sounds really good!
    And don't write yourself off yet, okay? You just don't know, so wait and see! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - but even if you do end up in Clearing, you might still be able to find something you like, or your university might take you anyway - there are just so many possible outcomes.

I'm going to visit my Aunt and Uncle next week - then, in July I'm going to stay with my cousin in Cornwall, and help her and her partner move house. Hopefully I'll be able to have some driving lessons there, and maybe be offered a week or so's placement with her partner's charity. Then we're off to France, and back home to my friends and my dad for a little while before Results' Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRefuteItThus)
    Did anyone do Nietzsche? I thought my will to power mastered those questions! A really nice paper.
    I did Nietzsche. I thought that the 15 mark question was quite good - even though I did have to think for a few minutes about what each of the three things were - after a discussion with my teacher after the exam I think that I got the right idea.

Which 45 mark question did you do? I did the religion one and the other guy in my class did the morals one. I thought the religion question was alright. I just ended up writing a bit about everything I could remember that Nietzsche says about religion and then attempted to pick holes in it. Was a bit of a sketchy answer to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    So how did everyone do? I managed to get an A overall B in the first exam, which was a nice surprise, and then an A in unit 4, which was an even nicer surprise! Anyone else get what they needed?

ReputationRep:
    I got an A! With full marks in two of the papers, somehow...!

I really can't believe that, since I'm a fast-track student, so was doing the whole lot in one year, and the AS at the same time as the A2, rather than before it. This means I have AABb now, and since my Firm wanted ABB... I'm in!

Congrats, 99 Red Balloons! That's great

ReputationRep:
    I got an A! With full marks in two of the papers, somehow...!

I really can't believe that, since I'm a fast-track student, so was doing the whole lot in one year, and the AS at the same time as the A2, rather than before it. This means I have AABb now, and since my Firm wanted ABB... I'm in!

Congrats, 99 Red Balloons! That's great
    Wow well done! How did you feel the exams went? My friend thought the first one went terribly and then went and got full marks in it damn him! Well done on your uni place

ReputationRep:
    Got an A* and in to my firm :p: Mill rang me up and said he was proud.
    Well done all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Wow well done! How did you feel the exams went? My friend thought the first one went terribly and then went and got full marks in it damn him! Well done on your uni place
    Hmm... I thought it went okay - maybe a low A, or a B, but no more than that. I was stunned!

Thank you! And you on yours!

ReputationRep:
    A

ReputationRep:
    I got a B overall :/ a C in unit 3 which I was really shocked about, then an A in unit 4. Dunno what I did wrong as I knew the material inside out.

ReputationRep:
    AQA Philosophy I got an A in Unit 1 and a C in Unit 2 - Which is so ******* ridiculous since I I tohught I did better in Unit 2 there is definitely some dodgy marking going on within AQA, the whole system is so corrupt and the examiners treat the papers as if they should be written by drone robot machines instead of humans - utterly utterly pathetic something needs to be done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2012
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.