Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The 2010 AQA Philosophy A2 Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Embow2492)
    Same, any political philosphy or moral philosophy notes would be greeeaat! I dont feel like i have enough to write and sometimes the lacewing book talks about irrelevant stuff or doesn't elaborate on other things enough...

SO yeah any political or moral philosophy notes would be grrreeeeeatly appreciated!
    These are the threads you might be looking for =)
    Moral Philosophy and Political Philosophy, though the political stuff isn't as good. I'm sure you'll be able to find some useful stuff there though
    Also, the Lacewing notes are here, all of those are really, really good quality stuff.

You might also find Mill stuff quite relevant to political philosophy, it's generally the same topics being discussed apart from a few, see the first post on this thread for stuff on Mill.

Also, see here for possible questions, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1295566
    That should be enough for revision!

Btw, if you want some top stuff for anything philosophy, go to stanford encyclopedia of philosophy, it's excellent. Possibly a bit advanced for a level but still. For example if you search, say, Liberalism, or Positive and Negative Freedom, or John Rawls, or distributive justice, or rights. On rights, this section is particularly relevant, and really good too. Right on to criticisms as well, all of that will give you the depth for an A*.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I started a new thread with my revision notes, but for anyone who hasn't been lurking, here are some unit 3 political philosophy notes. There are a few formatting inconsistencies, but the substance in intact.

Good luck guys - I sure need it.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc A2 Philosophy revision.doc (178.0 KB, 368 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarehistory101)
    I started a new thread with my revision notes, but for anyone who hasn't been lurking, here are some unit 3 political philosophy notes. There are a few formatting inconsistencies, but the substance in intact.

Good luck guys - I sure need it.
    Omg i think i'm in love with you right now!! Thanks so much for theseee! Haha xxxxxx Life saver!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys its all really helpful! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Im so scared! :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Omg i think i'm in love with you right now!! Thanks so much for theseee! Haha xxxxxx Life saver!
    No worries chap. I hope it's not too long to take in? I'm so scared

ReputationRep:
    No worries chap. I hope it's not too long to take in? I'm so scared
    lol nope, im not gonna even touch on nation states, i doubt it'll come up but if it does or anythign related does then i'm just gonna do the other question hehe :P
    i'm gonna focus mostly on ideology and meaning of liberty, there's bound to be a question on those, but also do rights though not in so much depth just in case my first choice doesn't come up. last year i predicted questions, and narrowed down what they would and wouldn't ask and got most of it right, tactics played a big part in doing well last year for me so i'm going for it again!

ReputationRep:
    in the moral philosophy question, are we supposed to apply practical ethics in the answer even if it doesnt specifically ask for it?? xxx

ReputationRep:
    lol nope, im not gonna even touch on nation states, i doubt it'll come up but if it does or anythign related does then i'm just gonna do the other question hehe :P
    i'm gonna focus mostly on ideology and meaning of liberty, there's bound to be a question on those, but also do rights though not in so much depth just in case my first choice doesn't come up. last year i predicted questions, and narrowed down what they would and wouldn't ask and got most of it right, tactics played a big part in doing well last year for me so i'm going for it again!
    that's kinda what i'm doing... i'm revising three out of the four topics and hoping one comes up on liberty, nation states or rights. justice is difficult for me for some reason. i'm scared about moral philosophy the most - are you doing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ndog21)
    in the moral philosophy question, are we supposed to apply practical ethics in the answer even if it doesnt specifically ask for it?? xxx
    Yes DEFINITELY, the ones that are on the specification that you can choose from are abortion, euthanasia, those in poverty, non-human animals, the environment etc.

ReputationRep:
    that's kinda what i'm doing... i'm revising three out of the four topics and hoping one comes up on liberty, nation states or rights. justice is difficult for me for some reason. i'm scared about moral philosophy the most - are you doing that?
    Lol yeah i am doing that, it is pretty scary. Tbh practical ethics isn't bad at all, but it's hard to get good depth on evaluation on there, plus most people will be doing that section so it's harder to stand out. So i think i'm gonna go for meta, i'm glad i found those revision notes that someone made though, really helpful. Have you seen them? They're quite brief but really good, i put a link to it a few posts up this page. Which side of moral are you gonna do clare? (i'm guessing that's ur name lol :P)

ReputationRep:
    Yes DEFINITELY, the ones that are on the specification that you can choose from are abortion, euthanasia, those in poverty, non-human animals, the environment etc.
    But you needn't talk about those issues necesarily if it's a question on meta-ethics though... right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timber1710)
    But you needn't talk about those issues necesarily if it's a question on meta-ethics though... right?
    Yeah that's right, you use those examples for the practical ethics side, to show how the different moral theories (ie utilitarianism, deontological ethics & virtue theory) would apply in real life. in meta-ethics my teacher said to give examples, but it doesnt need to be a fully worked out issue like with practical ethics.
    Edit: makes more sense now :P

ReputationRep:
    EEEEEEEK! tomorrow! major revision cramming!

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at the mark scheme for the question I just did from the specimen paper. I think I should probably just throw myself out of a window right now.

Does the mark scheme scare the hell out of anyone else? Or is it just me who feels completely devoid of information/the ability to express myself?

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at the mark scheme for the question I just did from the specimen paper. I think I should probably just throw myself out of a window right now.

Does the mark scheme scare the hell out of anyone else? Or is it just me who feels completely devoid of information/the ability to express myself?
    Lol, which question did you do?
    If you're talking about the bullet points, DW!! That's only a rough guide of the kinds of things you should be talking about. It's better to talk about 3 major points with examples and strong evaluation than trying to get in as much info and arguments as possible. Which is lucky for me lol, i'm all good with writing style, essay technique and evaluation etc, just haven't completely memorised who said what, responses to opposing arguments etc. Which is why your notes are coming in so helpful
    seriously, it was really nice of you to choose to share that with everyone! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    General post of existence: Thanks for all the help and notes from everybody (been forum stalking tips :P), absolutely screwed, but hey, that's life. Good luck to everyone too. See you on the other side.. Not the afterlife, but after the exam, you know what I mean. Ergh philosophy..

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone! hope theres some really good qs that we can all answer!! Try your best and see you after the exam!! Ergh philosophy as well....

ReputationRep:
    well, what did you all think?

I did the minimal intervention question for pol...
    Talking about Mill for negative freedom, critique of happiness as the underlying goal and how this was not contingent with some lifestyles like buddhism
    Then Marx for negative, critique of egalitarianism and how strict equality fails to recognise individuality
    Moved on distributive justice and how this might be more interventionalist but actually increases liberty compared to strict equality.
    Integrated a bit of Burke and desert theory and tore it down with Rawls again. Subvertion of natural hierarchy etc
    Then talking about interventionalist conservatism in terms from the old Tolerance module - Devlin, Raz etc
    Can't really remember how I concluded but I basicly said despite the shortfalls, Mill's notions seem most coherent then mentioned preference utilitarianism as a better ideal that happiness as it is more inclusive.

For moral I did the deontology and duty question

I basicly talked through Cat Imperative and critiqued. Did a bit of realism with Plato - duty found in elitism - tore down elitism as a basis for finding anything about about moral actions
    Talked about how our emotions can give us a sense of duty with emotivism - so we can have "duty" without having a moral action and talking about logical positivists a bit ermrmmm
    can't remember anymore. I think I finished how our emotions will always dictate maxims we try to apply to cat imperative so as a basis for finding anything out about moral actions practical wisdom offered a more coherent view of human nature and how to act in a virtuous way without trying to appeal to transcendental ideas of duty. I think I ended by saying something like "all we can do is seek to maximise our faculties of reason and temperance with regard for human emotion"

BLEGH prolly not what they wanted at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2012
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.