Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookinglass)
    Ah thanks loads for the advice! Do you reckon I'll be able to understand all the ideas if I only read the last chapter? Any time saving tips like that are really appreciated though, got to do the whole thing and revise it in 10 days
    I've made notes on the first three chapters with all the key points and a few quotations if that would be any use? I'm yet to finish taking notes on the last two chapters, but the final chapter is quite short and gives lots of examples so it's worth a quick read
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Powerpoint Presentation.pptx (82.9 KB, 79 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    I've made notes on the first three chapters with all the key points and a few quotations if that would be any use? I'm yet to finish taking notes on the last two chapters, but the final chapter is quite short and gives lots of examples so it's worth a quick read

Only problem is I don't seem to be able to attach files to my messages
    Attached file worked fine! Can't tell you how useful this advice/stuff is, thanks again! Guess I better get reading Synoptic seems to be the best chance for a good mark at A2..

ReputationRep:
    omg im such an idiot...i wrote all about materialistic theories such as behaviourism and identity....with problems of dualism. what the hell ! i totally forgot about eliminativism materialism being different...do u think i will get any marks? i need an A !!!
    i did ok on the questions on miracles tho...hmm. !

ReputationRep:
    omg i totally messed up. i did asses eliminative materialism. but wrote all about materialistic theories..such as identity and hehaviourism. i also did problems of dualism. so basically i didnt answer the auestion at alll !!! what kind or marks do u think i can get from that?

the other question on miracles i did good in tho.shud get good marks.but i need an A overall! hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lookinglass)
    At the risk of sounding like an idiot.. Do we have to read whatever book we're studying for Unit 4? I'm self-teaching and I don't know if I should just crack on with the analysis of the book from Lacewing, or actually read On Liberty first. Cheers.

Also, I'm sure you all did well! I (selflessly) dragged down the pass mark with an abysmal couple of essays :P
    Should read them both at the same time. Don't know the structure of Lacewing's book, but if you read a chapter of On Liberty then read the explanation of that chapter in Lacewing's book that'll help a lot. Then slowly work your way through the whole book.
    And don't worry if you find it hard to understand the language at first, you'll get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmara)
    Woo, another person who both answered the question I did, and vaguely answered it in the same way as me! Well I talked about Betham and Mill, but then went on some long tangent explaining exactly why natural rights don't exist as they're in conflict with the naturalism in utilitarianism.

Why worried me is that you went into so many other political theories! I must have thought that I was answering the moral question or something silly like that... because I brought up the is/ought gap afterwards instead of something more sensible like Marx or Locke. But that could still be applied politically right?
    Yeah I mentioned the is/ought gap in relation to Hart. But I wouldn't worry about it if you brought Moral philosophy into the essay. In fact, you get marks for synoptic writing (talking about aspects of the other part of the course)

(Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Yh i am, should be alright though, you can practically prepare your whole essay in advance lol, it's either gonna be about democracy, individual development, harm principle or freedom of thought nd expression. nd we get a choice so i don't need to revise individual development and i'm fine lol
    also i've done 2 really extensive essays for the mill side so for revision i literally just have to read my essays and jsut try and remember as much as possible.

what about you? how are you feeling about mill?
    Well I read On Liberty a while back, pretty sure I know the foundations of it. Gonna be revising it quite a bit so should be alright. Only problem is that I've got 2 economic exams for the day before and after it. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Would it be alright to ask if you could copy those notes onto Word for me please? I don't have powerpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A New Hero)
    Yeah I mentioned the is/ought gap in relation to Hart. But I wouldn't worry about it if you brought Moral philosophy into the essay. In fact, you get marks for synoptic writing (talking about aspects of the other part of the course)

Well I read On Liberty a while back, pretty sure I know the foundations of it. Gonna be revising it quite a bit so should be alright. Only problem is that I've got 2 economic exams for the day before and after it. :woo:
    Haha same! are you doing ocr as well then? i'm re-doing unit 3 to try and get an a* nd then unit 5 is the day after philo. only thing is i've got fp2 as well the same day as philosophy allowwww =(
    lol, had m3 today and faileddd cos i'd been spending my time recently on philosophy unit 3 instead of mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be alright to ask if you could copy those notes onto Word for me please? I don't have powerpoint.
    Sure
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: docx Mill.docx (15.9 KB, 70 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Merk that Sike of a Mike)
    Haha same! are you doing ocr as well then? i'm re-doing unit 3 to try and get an a* nd then unit 5 is the day after philo. only thing is i've got fp2 as well the same day as philosophy allowwww =(
    lol, had m3 today and faileddd cos i'd been spending my time recently on philosophy unit 3 instead of mechanics.
    Nah pretty sure I'm doing AQA myself

ReputationRep:
    I did the 2nd question on the mind body interactions, mentioned about 5 theories and went over a point or two for each..

and then did the miracles question, and couldn't remember what to write !!

AHa, I will just have to revise extra hard for next Thursdays exam in order to try to get my B >.<!

ReputationRep:
    Sure
    .docx I'm stuck with Word 97 haha, don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    .docx I'm stuck with Word 97 haha, don't worry about it.
    Think that should work? :p:
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: doc Mill.doc (37.0 KB, 61 views)

ReputationRep:
    so does anyone know what grade u wud roughly get if u did do really well in 1 question but like hardly any marks in the other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizahp)
    so does anyone know what grade u wud roughly get if u did do really well in 1 question but like hardly any marks in the other?
    That would probably work out roughly as a D for that exam? If you did quite well that is, I think.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear thats not good.

well you know for eliminative materialism...do u rekon u wud get many marks for writing a really good materialistic essay such as identity and behaviurism? even tho it doesnt andwer the question !

ReputationRep:
    oh dear thats not good.

well you know for eliminative materialism...do u rekon u wud get many marks for writing a really good materialistic essay such as identity and behaviurism? even tho it doesnt andwer the question !
    I suppose you could get marks if you've evaluating why a physical account would work better than substance dualism for example? I'm not too sure if you didn't answer the question, but if it was well written and you evaluated well, then you could pick up some marks? How do you think you did on the second question?

ReputationRep:
    i bet i wont get any marks !!
    do u have any idea what the mark scheme will be like this year?
    yeah i did well in the 2nd question about mircales, knew it off by heart !
    so i rekon i will have got about 50 -60 ish out of 100 if im lucky.
    i really needed a B in this !

how was your exam..?

ReputationRep:
    Think that should work? :p:
    Yep. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    i bet i wont get any marks !!
    do u have any idea what the mark scheme will be like this year?
    yeah i did well in the 2nd question about mircales, knew it off by heart !
    so i rekon i will have got about 50 -60 ish out of 100 if im lucky.
    i really needed a B in this !

how was your exam..?
    There's a lot of emphasis placed on evaluation and how you argue your points; how you reach your conclusion basically. You always have another chance with next Thursday's exam I did exactly the same questions as you Did quite like the miracles question, though my friend told me than I got one argument incorrect, but hopefully that's only because I babbled when I eplained it to him! Tried to criticise eliminative materialism, but waffled, so am not hoping for many marks there Overall not as bad as I was expecting, but could have been better.. :woo:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 20, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.