Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what were ur AS results in terms of usm points? if u only need 2 low B's?
    then i mite be able 2 work mine out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghast)
    I'll be doing AQA A2 Philosophy next academic year.... seems like you all had fun! Got any serious advice?
    I would say keep all your notes up to date as you go along, as there is quite a bit to learn, and when you come to revision it will be so much better if you already have at least a basic grasp of everything! This year I left everything to the last minute, and ended up with about 90 pages of revision notes to type up and learn from in a few weeks And it's very confusing! :p:

Edit: And someone's already said exactly the same as me

ReputationRep:
    I did the question on liberty for political, and 'since beliefs can be doubted does this mean knowledge is impossible' for epistemology. The political question went well, pretty much took it down the obvious route of Mill's view on liberty and how that's pretty much classical liberalism, lumped some of Locke's views in for good measure. Then I pretty much went into different concepts of liberty, so Berlin and MacCallum's unitary view, and then related liberty to the other political ideologies. I'm a bit worried now after reading other people's answers but at the time I thought I had done pretty well!

My essay for E&M was a lot of waffle I thought. I didn't make belief the main focus of my essay, waffled on about knowledge too much I think. Started with the sceptic's challenged and the standard anaylsis of knowledge, then moved onto to mitigated scepticism, then phenomenology. I had to rush in Gettier and a bit of Wittgenstein as well as Williams so that I could make some sort of conclusion on the basis of relativism. Sigh.

Still there's still unit 4 to go so hopefully that might be better! Is anyone else doing Nietzsche?

ReputationRep:
    Spark notes is surprisingly good for On Liberty...

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing Plato's Republic for the exam on Thursday?

Really don't want to mess this one up, as I'm still pretty sure I messed up Unit 3. Can I ask a massive favour from someone who has the Unit 4 Michael Lacewing book (if you're doing Plato), could you briefly tell me what kind of stuff he talks about? I have my teachers notes, and a couple of other critical/analytical books, but I think it might be helpful to look at a textbook that is specifically for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a good marked piece for the On Liberty unit 4 as i kinda flopped mine. Want to know what i need to do different from unit 3.

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have notes for Plato's Republic? I'm about to type mine up, but anyone else's would be very nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarehistory101)
    Does anyone have notes for Plato's Republic? I'm about to type mine up, but anyone else's would be very nice.
    I'll type mine up and send them if you want? I'm really not sure how much use they would be though... Could I have yours if you don't mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmara)
    I'll type mine up and send them if you want? I'm really not sure how much use they would be though... Could I have yours if you don't mind?
    That would be so so rad! Thank you! Mine won't be ready for a couple days though, I've got to turn them into notes first! haha. It shouldn't take too long though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarehistory101)
    That would be so so rad! Thank you! Mine won't be ready for a couple days though, I've got to turn them into notes first! haha. It shouldn't take too long though.
    Ok, mine will hopefully be done by this time tomorrow, if I don't get distracted. But I probably will, so yeah. So far I've typed up my summary/notes for the Prelude (even though we don't get examined on that...) and the beginning half of Thrasymachus' argument. Should be finished with that bit tonight.

ReputationRep:
    For Thursday's exam on unit 4 does anyone know if we receive marks for the interpretation of particular concepts in the 15 mark question, or should the answer be purely descriptive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siobhanbligh)
    I need two low Bs to get an A overall, but obviously i want moooore than just a low A hehe, i did very very badly on the political philosophy question though So im hoping that i made up for it in the philosophy of teh kind question, i think im only got a high C for the exam paper tbh, doing a years worth of work in 1 hour was impossible! Im determined to get an A for my synoptic stuff, im doing descartes and once you understand his particular way of thinking its pretty easy to critique him to get a good mark. What about yourself? What other subjects ye doing as well?
    Ah.. haha, well I'm sure you did better than what you think you did!.
    Yeah, on unit 4 I'm doing the Descartes question too, hopefully it won't be too bad! I need a B to get into Uni, and to maintain that I need 66/100 in both papers this summer, I hope to get more though!

I do Economics and Biology as well as Philosophy, what about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IRefuteItThus)
    For Thursday's exam on unit 4 does anyone know if we receive marks for the interpretation of particular concepts in the 15 mark question, or should the answer be purely descriptive?

Its interpretation, application and analysis marks too, I think its 7/15 goes for A02? I didn't realise that before, which is probably why I got low marks in all my mocks

ReputationRep:
    Its interpretation, application and analysis marks too, I think its 7/15 goes for A02? I didn't realise that before, which is probably why I got low marks in all my mocks

I always thought it was purely descrptive too? Where does it say that analysis and interpretation must be included? Ah this has worried me now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boohoo123)
    I always thought it was purely descrptive too? Where does it say that analysis and interpretation must be included? Ah this has worried me now!
    In the mark scheme that my teacher gave me?

The specimen mark scheme says:

Interpretation, Analysis
    and Application
    AO2

4–7 marks
    At the top end, relevance will be sustained. Examples are appropriate and their implications made apparent.

Some detail may be lacking at the lower end of the level.

Textual material is applied in a directed manner regarding the
    requirements of the question.

So there are marks for A02 in the first question.

ReputationRep:
    In the mark scheme that my teacher gave me?

The specimen mark scheme says:

Interpretation, Analysis
    and Application
    AO2

4–7 marks
    At the top end, relevance will be sustained. Examples are appropriate and their implications made apparent.

Some detail may be lacking at the lower end of the level.

Textual material is applied in a directed manner regarding the
    requirements of the question.

So there are marks for A02 in the first question.

Oh dear at least I found this out before the exam! So with the 15 marker we are meant to state whether the argument is good or not? Or just give our own interpretation?

ReputationRep:
    No marks in the first question are for evaluation, its 8/15 for A01 and 7/15 for A02

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a quote sheet for the republic? I am really confident about the exam, I know all of the theories, arguements and similes really well, but I read the book too early (september/October time) and I don't really remember it well enough as a whole, and I am worried about using quotes, because I don't know any. If there are any good quote sheets it woud be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy in year 12 started so well.. :rolleyes:. I was lucky enough to have a teacher that really brought you into the subject and showed you the intellectual beauty of it. The influence of Lacewing's ALP-influenced approach on the exam board killed it for me, and made me understand why the A level is considered 'soft' by many universities; it's more about cramming knowledge than analytical discourse. Unit 3 - and in my opinion especially moral philosophy - demonstrated this.
    I'd need 3As to apply for the course I want to do next year, and considering I've failed Unit 3, I'm just putting all my efforts into the two economics exams, hoping to maybe get an A* in either that or Maths, and letting my grade in philosophy drop, as no matter what I got in Unit 4, I wouldn't get an A, and hence couldn't cash it in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Is it possible for anyone to post the specification for Plato's republic please?
    I have this exam on Thursday too and I can't access the aqa website

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.