Turn on thread page Beta

Would this piss you off? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you got your significant other about £100 worth of Christmas presents, and they got you a £20 present, would you be annoyed?

I feel like I'm being a bit shallow if I bring this up with him! I'm a student at Uni and he's a full-time worker.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends if the present shows care and thought like it was something you really liked or wanted rather than £100 of stuff which you may not have wanted but it would be nice to have.

ReputationRep:
    Just buy him something cheaper next year

ReputationRep:
    Did you indicate how much you were going to spend? I wouldn't go higher than £20 unless we'd discussed it.

ReputationRep:
    It would depend if I got him £100 worth of crap that he didn't want, and he got me a £20 something that was really well thought out.

It's the thought that counts, and what it means to you, so don't instantly judge things on their price.

ReputationRep:
    I think it shows that you gave your significant other a present with the wrong intentions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamsandtears)
    If you got your significant other about £100 worth of Christmas presents, and they got you a £20 present, would you be annoyed?

I feel like I'm being a bit shallow if I bring this up with him! I'm a student at Uni and he's a full-time worker.
    Well thats your mistake

And surely its the thought that counts? :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be annoyed about how much he spent but if the issue is that he didn't put any thought into what he got me and just got me something "because he had to" then I might be annoyed.

I don't think its fair to make it an issue if you hadn't set an agreed spending price limit beforehand. I would have only spent around £20 on my boyfriend for Christmas if we hadn't agreed not to get each other anything. £100 is a lot of money, even with a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say but under no circumstances would I spend that much on a christmas present for my boyfriend, we just agreed on a rough amount we would spend on each other so as to avoid this sort of scenario. I wouldn't be pissed off because I just wouldn't do it. I really don't think it means he doesn't love/like you enough maybe he had loads of people he needed to buy presents for and so had to ration his spends on each person??

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it would.

If he hand wrapped it himself on the other hand you will need to triple the price of his present. If a man didn't get the shop to wrap it up it most probably is love so stop your complaining.

you should talk to him about it.

ReputationRep:
    No it wouldn't piss me off.
    I love splashing out on presents for my friends in general (don't have a significant other:awesome:)... it's so nice to see them open up your present and have a big smile on their face when they see what it is, isn't it? I dunno.. that's just priceless for me

ReputationRep:
    your materialism pisses me off, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Haha the funny thing is, if there was a thread asking about this sort of stuff you'd say

"No, it's the thought that counts...I love my boyfriend as long as I have him with me on the day that's all that matters for christmas" :rolleyes:

But you can have a good £20 present and really crap £100 presents, so it doesn't always mean you're not getting your fair share.

ReputationRep:
    Only if no thought had gone into it. Frankly I don't care how much or little anyone spends on me so long as it's something they've put thought into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    your materialism pisses me off, yes.
    tidy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreamsandtears)

tl;dr but probably, most things do.

ReputationRep:
    YH, it would take the mick. and i would learn a lesson for next time.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I love how all the guys are like 'it's the thought that counts! Well you could have given him a rubbish £100 present! You should get over yourself, at least he got you something!' :laugh:
    I would probably be annoyed since I'm very tight with money and spending over £20 on a person would mean a lot :p:. If you bought him something for £100 it's unlikely to be crap. I'd be quite disappointed but probably wouldn't say anything lol and just repeat the phrases that I've quoted at the beginning of this post lol. Next time, decide on an amount :p:

ReputationRep:
    This is a game theory problem, so I suggest you post it in the maths forum..

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't piss me off because I would never be in the situation.

My attitude towards presents is that I'm not really bothered by them. I have what I need already so I'd much rather not buy a present so I get a present I don't need in return.

So I'd prefer a thoughtful gift in return, doesn't have to be expensive...doesn't even have to cost anything.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.