Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I'm currently doing AS and is planning to take Medicine for University. But I have very low expectations that I will be able to pass specially with the AAA requirements, so my backup plan is to do an undergradute degree first, then apply as a graduate to Medicine. My first choice was Biomedical Science. My Psychology teacher also suggested to do Psychology (Psychology is my best subject.)

I'm doing AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and cext year, I am planning to change Physics to Biology (This is because most universities require Biology atleast on AS)

Can anyone suggest any other degrees I can do before proceeding to medicine?...thank you....

ReputationRep:
    Does it REALLY matter that much? A degree is a degree after all. So long as you show committment to the medical field, have relevant ECs etc., surely you'll be fine?

Otherwise you could do something like pharmaceutical science or something biologically based

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to apply for medicine, but felt like I dont have a very strong acadamic scores, so I' planning to take a degree course first and then apply to Medicine as a graduate

Some suggested Biomedical Science, and my teacher suggested to take Psychology

What other courses can I do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Anything you want - do media studies if you so desire. Providing you get a 2:i (even a 2:ii for some unis) you'll be eligible for GEM.

ReputationRep:
    Do something with some biology and chemistry content, as some of the unis need that, and more importantly - something you're really interested in as you need to enjoy it and do really well, (a 1st if you can, competition is pretty fierce)

Do something you really want to do for 3 years!

ReputationRep:
    That's some universities, a related science degree would help more I reckon.

How about Pharmacy, or Pharmacology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niveken13)
    I'm trying to apply for medicine, but felt like I dont have a very strong acadamic scores, so I' planning to take a degree course first and apply to Medicine as a graduate

Some suggested Biomedical Science, and my teacher suggested to take Psychology

What other courses can I do?
    ANYTHING!!!! if you are willing to take the GAMSAT.

however by taking a science based degree you have a bigger option of where you can apply.

what do you want to do? ....becasue let say you do a degree just so you can apply to GEP, you finish your degree then you get 4 rejections from the med schools you applied(happens alot, even to very dedicated applicants). then you are stuck with a degree that you only did because of applying to medicine and you didnt get in....leaves you back at square one.

my best advice would be; think about what career you would like if you couldnt be a doctor and apply for the degree that best suits that goal.

what degree would you enjoy?

ReputationRep:
    Of people I know who are going for graduate medicine they are mostly going for Biochemistry first, one person is going for JH Human Biology/Psychology. I think that's right anyway.

ReputationRep:
    biomeds a good one. something like anatomy or physiology also. (biomed covers most though, in my opinion its kind of a bit like medicine without the patients.) most unis say they want a related degree although i obviously dont know about all. also, in some places (newcastle???) if you get into a certain top percentage of your 1st year in biomed you can have the opportunity to switch to medicine.
    to be honest i applied, got offers but didnt get my grades, so im now doing biomed, and i think in the long run im probably better off this way and il make a better medical student then doctor. even though it will take slightly longer, this way i get 3 years of 'proper student life' then i can really focus if i get onto medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I'm currrently doing my AS Levels rigt now, and im about to apply for UCAS in a couple months time. I was actually planning to apply for Medicine, but I dont think I have a chance right now because of some of my grade, specially with the AAA requirements, so I thought the next best thing to do is to apply for Biomedical Sciences then proceed to Medicine as a graduate.

The problem is, I am currently only doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology - I wasnt able to choose Biology because the course is unfortunately full.

Do I still have a chance to get into Biomedical Science, or does this lower my chances?

And since I'm still on my AS Levels, I'm planning to drop Physics and change it to AS Biology next year. But then, I wont be able to have a grade for Biology in my application since I would be doing my UCAS on AS.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I'm currently doing AS and is planning to take Medicine for University. But I have very low expectations that I will be able to pass specially with the AAA requirements, so my backup plan is to do an undergradute degree first, then apply as a graduate to Medicine. My first choice was Biomedical Science. My Psychology teacher also suggested to do Psychology (Psychology is my best subject.)

I'm doing AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and cext year, I am planning to change Physics to Biology (This is because most universities require Biology atleast on AS)

Can anyone suggest any other degrees I can do before proceeding to medicine?...thank you....

ReputationRep:
    psychology as you said...
    pharmacy
    biomed
    biology
    chemistry
    biochem....

ReputationRep:
    The route that you're thinking of taking is incredibly competitive. Leaving aside the fact that you won't receive the same level of fiscal support in a second degree, undergraduate medicine is an easier option.

If you feel that you won't be able to achieve AAA (with retakes etc.), are you sure Medicine is for you?

ReputationRep:
    so unis say you can have chem or bio.
    look on ucas for all the unis that do biomed and check out the site for rules on subject/offers.

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for biomed as my 5th choice

mainly because some unis, like newcastle, let you transfer to medicine after a year - but only if you're awesome and own the exams

ReputationRep:
    You can do the same with a clinical sciences degree from bradford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    The route that you're thinking of taking is incredibly competitive. Leaving aside the fact that you won't receive the same level of fiscal support in a second degree, undergraduate medicine is an easier option.

If you feel that you won't be able to achieve AAA (with retakes etc.), are you sure Medicine is for you?
    I don't know if its what you meant, but I'm sure there are loads of good doctors around who couldn't get AAA back when they did their a-levels.

If you were just saying you need to be very dedicated to going into medicine if you go down the graduate route then I'd agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doginthesky)
    I've applied for biomed as my 5th choice

mainly because some unis, like newcastle, let you transfer to medicine after a year - but only if you're awesome and own the exams
    Dude, if you don't mind me asking, what GCSE's and A Level grades did you get? And also how much work experience have you done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I don't know if its what you meant, but I'm sure there are loads of good doctors around who couldn't get AAA back when they did their a-levels.

If you were just saying you need to be very dedicated to going into medicine if you go down the graduate route then I'd agree with that.
    My advice was more along the lines of "Try as hard as you can to get AAA this year, and then if you do, reapply to A100 courses".

If the OP can't get AAA because of poor teaching (etc.) then universities will understand that, but standard offers are there for a reason (and GEM programs aren't there to provide an alternative 'easier' route.)

There are also 1+5 year courses (with the first year a foundation for those in the OP's situation.)

ReputationRep:
    Pharmacology, Pharmacy, Biomedical Science or Biochemistry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.