The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Niveken13
Hi there. I'm currently doing AS and is planning to take Medicine for University. But I have very low expectations that I will be able to pass specially with the AAA requirements, so my backup plan is to do an undergradute degree first, then apply as a graduate to Medicine. My first choice was Biomedical Science. My Psychology teacher also suggested to do Psychology (Psychology is my best subject.)

I'm doing AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and cext year, I am planning to change Physics to Biology (This is because most universities require Biology atleast on AS)

Can anyone suggest any other degrees I can do before proceeding to medicine?...thank you....

You should consider King's EMDP Medicine course - for that you don't need to get AAA (check King's website to see if you are eligible).

You can get into many Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) courses with any degree, even arts/humanities etc., so basically - study anything you like.

GEM is much more competitive than undergraduate medicine, so in case you get rejected in the first application round but do end up getting AAA I would seriously consider taking a gap year and reapplying to undergraduate medicine rather than planning on the GEM route.
?!master?!mini?!
Dude, if you don't mind me asking, what GCSE's and A Level grades did you get? And also how much work experience have you done?

Nope its alright :smile:

errmm

GCSES: 9A*s 3As 1B
AS Levels: AAAAA (Bio, chem, phys, maths, crit)
A2s: Bio, chem, maths and crit.. predicted A*A*AA

Work ex: 2 weeks gps, 1 week local hospital, 1 week dentists, 1 month hospital in india
Voluntary work: 2 months with charity in india, 1 year at a cancer hospice and 6 month at a bhp shop :smile:

EDIT: Forgot about extended project - i havent done it yet though.. its a work in progress :P
doginthesky
I've applied for biomed as my 5th choice :smile:

mainly because some unis, like newcastle, let you transfer to medicine after a year - but only if you're awesome and own the exams :)

it is a bit more difficult than that, if you want to transfer after first year you have to do ukcat (and get above cut off), get over 75% for the year(basically a 1st), have an interview (and pass it)...plus there is only a max of 7 places per a year(an technically there are about 200 ncl uni student who apply each year) and if they dont feel like there are 7 applicants worthy of a place then they will give it to a ucas applicant.

^i was given a brake down of the prosses by admissions.

OP: newcastle is a option (but competion is really high to transfer). you could also try clinical science (bradford); 40 students a picked for the course and 20 can transfer to leeds med school after first year (dependant on many factors but the odds are better :smile:)
and biomed st georges; they have 15 places to transfer to 3rd year at their med school if you get a 1st for all three years (they also require good work experiance during your 3 yr degree but you will only have to do a 2 year med course if you get on..... just as hard as newcastle i would say though, as this rout requires real consistancey).
Undulipodium
My advice was more along the lines of "Try as hard as you can to get AAA this year, and then if you do, reapply to A100 courses".

If the OP can't get AAA because of poor teaching (etc.) then universities will understand that, but standard offers are there for a reason (and GEM programs aren't there to provide an alternative 'easier' route.)

There are also 1+5 year courses (with the first year a foundation for those in the OP's situation.)

The foundation courses general exclude people who took science a-levels but couldn't make the grade.

GEM programmes are hardly an easier route - there is a lot more competition and instead of 2 years of a-levels you have to do those 2 years plus another 3.
Reply 24
The ones I always got told to do as a back up was:

Chemistry (you won't be the only person to not get into medicine here, my whole tutor group were prospective medics or dentists)
Biomedical Sciences
callum9999
The foundation courses general exclude people who took science a-levels but couldn't make the grade.

GEM programmes are hardly an easier route - there is a lot more competition and instead of 2 years of a-levels you have to do those 2 years plus another 3.

That's what I said :rolleyes:

Some people wrongly assume that GEM will be less competitive, so I just thought I'd make sure OP realised that this wasn't the case.
Reply 26
ballerinabetty
so unis say you can have chem or bio.
look on ucas for all the unis that do biomed and check out the site for rules on subject/offers.

Does that mean that as long as I have either one of those for A2, I still have a chance of getting in?
Niveken13
Hi there. I'm currently doing AS and is planning to take Medicine for University. But I have very low expectations that I will be able to pass specially with the AAA requirements, so my backup plan is to do an undergradute degree first, then apply as a graduate to Medicine. My first choice was Biomedical Science. My Psychology teacher also suggested to do Psychology (Psychology is my best subject.)

I'm doing AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and cext year, I am planning to change Physics to Biology (This is because most universities require Biology atleast on AS)

Can anyone suggest any other degrees I can do before proceeding to medicine?...thank you....

First of all- many medical schools have AAB as there standard offer. If you are unsure about achieving AAA then you will still have a wide range to choose from but I think that A2 biology is a fixed requirement for most so that may limit your options.
If you choose to go for graduate entry then any degree in the biological sciences field would be fine.
doginthesky
Nope its alright :smile:

errmm

GCSES: 9A*s 3As 1B
AS Levels: AAAAA (Bio, chem, phys, maths, crit)
A2s: Bio, chem, maths and crit.. predicted A*A*AA

Work ex: 2 weeks gps, 1 week local hospital, 1 week dentists, 1 month hospital in india
Voluntary work: 2 months with charity in india, 1 year at a cancer hospice and 6 month at a bhp shop :smile:

EDIT: Forgot about extended project - i havent done it yet though.. its a work in progress :P

Thanks!!! Just another questions, how did you get the week in the local hospital. I tried my hospital and they said that they had no work experience places left.

nice grades btw :biggrin:
Niveken13
Hi there. I'm currrently doing my AS Levels rigt now, and im about to apply for UCAS in a couple months time. I was actually planning to apply for Medicine, but I dont think I have a chance right now because of some of my grade, specially with the AAA requirements, so I thought the next best thing to do is to apply for Biomedical Sciences then proceed to Medicine as a graduate.

The problem is, I am currently only doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology - I wasnt able to choose Biology because the course is unfortunately full.

Do I still have a chance to get into Biomedical Science, or does this lower my chances?

And since I'm still on my AS Levels, I'm planning to drop Physics and change it to AS Biology next year. But then, I wont be able to have a grade for Biology in my application since I would be doing my UCAS on AS.

Dude didn't you just post this???
I thinkmost will require chemistry AND biology, or at least with bio at AS.. You could see if you could pick up a biology as level next year?
one of my friends, who's applied for medicine, didnt do bio AS, so is doing it this year, alongside his A2 levels.. :smile:
Niveken13
Hi there. I'm currrently doing my AS Levels rigt now, and im about to apply for UCAS in a couple months time. I was actually planning to apply for Medicine, but I dont think I have a chance right now because of some of my grade, specially with the AAA requirements, so I thought the next best thing to do is to apply for Biomedical Sciences then proceed to Medicine as a graduate.

The problem is, I am currently only doing Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology - I wasnt able to choose Biology because the course is unfortunately full.

Do I still have a chance to get into Biomedical Science, or does this lower my chances?

And since I'm still on my AS Levels, I'm planning to drop Physics and change it to AS Biology next year. But then, I wont be able to have a grade for Biology in my application since I would be doing my UCAS on AS.

Iscariot (long since departed) made this post on his blog a while back. I suggest you read it.

http://biomedstudent.blogspot.com/2007/04/really-want-to-do-medicine.html

If you don't get in next cycle, take a gap year, do biology in the meantime and reapply.
Undulipodium
That's what I said :rolleyes:

Some people wrongly assume that GEM will be less competitive, so I just thought I'd make sure OP realised that this wasn't the case.

I know its what you said - I was just pointing out why I didn't think it was an easier route (you implied it was when you said "GEM courses aren't meant to be an easier route into medicine"). I guess I just misinterpreted what you meant by that.
kbountra
First of all- many medical schools have AAB as there standard offer. If you are unsure about achieving AAA then you will still have a wide range to choose from but I think that A2 biology is a fixed requirement for most so that may limit your options.
If you choose to go for graduate entry then any degree in the biological sciences field would be fine.

A2 Biology is (surprisingly) not a required A2 at most medical schools.

Again, GEM is very competitive, so it's not as simple as getting a 2.i in a related degree.

callum9999
I know its what you said - I was just pointing out why I didn't think it was an easier route (you implied it was when you said "GEM courses aren't meant to be an easier route into medicine"). I guess I just misinterpreted what you meant by that.

Sorry - I'm not the clearest typist :o: :smile:
Niveken13
Does that mean that as long as I have either one of those for A2, I still have a chance of getting in?

yes
one or the other. both is helpful for the course content but either will fulfil entry requierments at some schools
Why have you made 3 separate threads on basically the same question?
felt_monkey
Why have you made 3 separate threads on basically the same question?

Democracy
Iscariot (long since departed) made this post on his blog a while back. I suggest you read it.

http://biomedstudent.blogspot.com/2007/04/really-want-to-do-medicine.html

If you don't get in next cycle, take a gap year, do biology in the meantime and reapply.

I was always under the impression they don't like you resitting your A-levels unless you had extenuating circumstances?
Niveken13

dude, how many more times are you going to post the same thread>>>>>>>????????
callum9999
I was always under the impression they don't like you resitting your A-levels unless you had extenuating circumstances?

Meh, whilst Iscariot may have got that part wrong, the general premise of his argument is right, that it's stupid to do an entire degree which you're not interested in when you could take one single year out and reapply (or retake if possible).

Latest

Trending

Trending