Turn on thread page Beta

What other courses can I do, in case I get rejected on my Medicine applications watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Democracy)
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, whilst Iscariot may have got that part wrong, the general premise of his argument is right, that it's stupid to do an entire degree which you're not interested in when you could take one single year out and reapply (or retake if possible).
    Oh right, so resitting your a-levels would be a better option than doing another degree? When I was in that situation (I still kind of am) I just dismissed resitting as I thought they would take my resits into account (the whole course, not units).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Thanks!!! Just another questions, how did you get the week in the local hospital. I tried my hospital and they said that they had no work experience places left.

nice grades btw
    Thanks

Its pretty difficult to get a place cos the go pretty fast - i called up, and booked it for the next summer - so i did it REALLY early!

or.. you could ask your college and see if they can arrange something for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Oh right, so resitting your a-levels would be a better option than doing another degree? When I was in that situation (I still kind of am) I just dismissed resitting as I thought they would take my resits into account (the whole course, not units).
    Depends if you have the right extenuating circumstances...if you do, then yeah, absolutely.

The only circumstances which I can see Grad Entry medicine or biomed as being appropriate for A level students is those kids which have right royally ****ed up their grades, and don't have the extenuating circumstances which allow them to resit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    it is a bit more difficult than that, if you want to transfer after first year you have to do ukcat (and get above cut off), get over 75% for the year(basically a 1st), have an interview (and pass it)...plus there is only a max of 7 places per a year(an technically there are about 200 ncl uni student who apply each year) and if they dont feel like there are 7 applicants worthy of a place then they will give it to a ucas applicant.

^i was given a brake down of the prosses by admissions.

OP: newcastle is a option (but competion is really high to transfer). you could also try clinical science (bradford); 40 students a picked for the course and 20 can transfer to leeds med school after first year (dependant on many factors but the odds are better )
    and biomed st georges; they have 15 places to transfer to 3rd year at their med school if you get a 1st for all three years (they also require good work experiance during your 3 yr degree but you will only have to do a 2 year med course if you get on..... just as hard as newcastle i would say though, as this rout requires real consistancey).

yep, i was over simplifying a bit, but i was just making OP aware that it was an option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    I was always under the impression they don't like you resitting your A-levels unless you had extenuating circumstances?
    I thought the same too after reading that blogpost. I also don't understand why Iscariot said it's better to do any biological degree rather then biomed, I thought biomed is the best for giving you a good grounding for medicine.

I mean if your really dedicated/motivated in studying medicine then you will somehow convince yourself and get through the 3 years of Biomed, I know it can be hard though, but it has to be done. I doubt retaking your A-Levels/GCSE's will give you any better chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    The route that you're thinking of taking is incredibly competitive. Leaving aside the fact that you won't receive the same level of fiscal support in a second degree, undergraduate medicine is an easier option.

If you feel that you won't be able to achieve AAA (with retakes etc.), are you sure Medicine is for you?

Do you think i can do medicine - i have CCC at a level.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if you have the right extenuating circumstances...if you do, then yeah, absolutely.

The only circumstances which I can see Grad Entry medicine or biomed as being appropriate for A level students is those kids which have right royally ****ed up their grades, and don't have the extenuating circumstances which allow them to resit.
    Thats me then!

Saying that, I probably could have spun something about the messy divorce at the time, but it didn't really affect my study much so that would be dishonest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    Dude didn't you just post this???
    Yeah, apparently on a wrong thread....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    I thought the same too after reading that blogpost. I also don't understand why Iscariot said it's better to do any biological degree rather then biomed, I thought biomed is the best for giving you a good grounding for medicine.

I mean if your really dedicated/motivated in studying medicine then you will somehow convince yourself and get through the 3 years of Biomed, I know it can be hard though, but it has to be done. I doubt retaking your A-Levels/GCSE's will give you any better chance.
    That was my thinking - its not something I want to do but it will be worth it for the end result.

Although now I think about it, a biology degree would be just as good as a biomedical sciences degree for graduate entry wouldn't it? I loved it at school, and if biomedical sciences is as boring as they are suggesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairy spangles)
    Do you think i can do medicine - i have CCC at a level.
    Seeing as you're a current medical student, and thus trying to make a point, I should clarify that I was really trying to get the OP to acknowledge that GEM isn't just an easier entry point :o:

ReputationRep:

LOLOLOL

Yes, I am a noob, first one, I posted on a wrong thread, second one, didnt get any replies coz apparently the thread didnt really relate to the question and then this one...And i dont know how to delete the other posts!

ReputationRep:
    If anything, I would recommend you try as hard as you can to get in the first time round because post-graduate entry is very tough.

ReputationRep:

Well the reason I've applied to Biomedical Science this year is because I feel that My A-Levels/GCSE's are just not good enough compared to the average med applicant. It's not ridiculous grades like DDD, but mediocre AS Level and GCSE's. Also not as much Work Experience/Voluntaring work. I don't think retaking them is an 'extenuating circumstance' just to boost up the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Looking through some of the requirements, they just seem to want a "science" degree, but would doing biomedical sciences give you an advantage (however small) over a biology degree?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Undulipodium]A2 Biology is (surprisingly) not a required A2 at most medical schools.

Again, GEM is very competitive, so it's not as simple as getting a 2.i in a related degree.

Hey CJ! Trusted and exalted member....you seem to be spending alot of time on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niveken13)
    Hi there. I'm currently doing AS and is planning to take Medicine for University. But I have very low expectations that I will be able to pass specially with the AAA requirements, so my backup plan is to do an undergradute degree first, then apply as a graduate to Medicine. My first choice was Biomedical Science. My Psychology teacher also suggested to do Psychology (Psychology is my best subject.)

I'm doing AS Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology, and cext year, I am planning to change Physics to Biology (This is because most universities require Biology atleast on AS)

Can anyone suggest any other degrees I can do before proceeding to medicine?...thank you....
    good idea, macca.

i fink you should do exactly and only what peeple suggest wif your life, instead of workig out what you want to do for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Seeing as you're a current medical student, and thus trying to make a point, I should clarify that I was really trying to get the OP to acknowledge that GEM isn't just an easier entry point :o:

Thats better - A level doesnt define how good a doctor you wll be. Im soooo glad i did a degree first and i lurved every second of the experience. Theres no way i would have got AAA at A level mainly because i was too busy enjoying my youth.
    If i could change anything it would be to do physio or something allied to medicine or immunology instead of biomed which basically crushed my soul.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.