Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is a graduate over qualified for retail jobs?

ReputationRep:
    A job is a job, especially since the unemployment rate still isn't as low as would be preferred.

There's nothing to stop someone taking a retail job and getting a bit of money while they look for a job which they think is more suitable.

ReputationRep:
    Yes; the graduate will be out the door as soon as things pick up. Not true for the student.

ReputationRep:
    But I'm unsure if I should include my degree in my CV because it seems retail employers dont want to employ graduates, they want to employ students...

ReputationRep:
    Probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marieisfab)
    There's nothing to stop someone taking a retail job and getting a bit of money while they look for a job which they think is more suitable.
    There is if the store is wise to it and is looking for someone who isn't likely to leave as soon as they can find a more suitable job. That's usually what people mean when they say someone is overqualified.

ReputationRep:
    Had I found a job in retail 6 months ago, I'd have stuck with them for 6months+ which isnt what students do ... doesnt seem fair to me.

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to say you did for the last 3/4 years if not that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shivvling)
    But I'm unsure if I should include my degree in my CV because it seems retail employers dont want to employ graduates, they want to employ students...
    Don't emphasise it - you could even say you'll be starting a masters in september. Temping/Bar work is more suitable for a graduate

ReputationRep:
    If you don't include your degree there is going to be a big gap in your CV.

ReputationRep:
    Is a graduate over qualified for retail jobs?
    Yes, but that doesn't mean someone can get a job better than retail with a degree.

mentioning it will hinder in the job application process though.

ReputationRep:
    I was in retail 2 years ago (before uni) nearly everyone who i worked with were in uni

but times have changed i guest

ReputationRep:
    I'm a graduate...

I spent about 90 minutes looking for a job last summer (to pass the time before my MA), and I was offered two, one at a restaurant and one at a tea house. Easy peasy.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I doubt your degree will be a significant factor in you not getting a retail job.

You can put your Experience section first, and Education second, but you need to have very relevant employment experience to get away with that.

However, if you find that your degree if hampering things, then put Relevant Education section in your CV - though of course you do have to have some relevant education.

Finally, a well written covering letter will explain your circumstances and clarify the degree versus non degree job situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    I'm a graduate...

I spent about 90 minutes looking for a job last summer (to pass the time before my MA), and I was offered two, one at a restaurant and one at a tea house. Easy peasy.
    Not to sound arrogant or anything but I live in west midlands, the place where the recession has hit hard. The business industry is hardly as strong as last year.

I dont have employment experience, that's the problem. I've only worked in care homes and leaflet distribution.

Tbh I know I wont get employed anytime soon and even when I was 18, working in retail seemed like a dream far out of my reach and now I'm 21 and I'm overqualified. I'd rather be better off doing drug dealing

ReputationRep:
    now I'm 21 and I'm overqualified
    Presumably though your under qualified for a decent job?

ReputationRep:
    I have exactly the same problem :sadnod: I've had retail experience, but that doesn't seem to be making much of a difference either I can't even get a job as a waitress, apparently I'm not good enough for that either.

Just keep at it, something will come up If you're really desperate, try pubs or something?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JoshyEls)
    If you don't include your degree there is going to be a big gap in your CV.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I got turned down from several admin jobs last summer on the basis that I was "overqualified". Eventually I got a long-term temp position in an office where most people are graduates, although it's not a graduate level job. Now I've started looking for a more permanent position, I'm explaining in my application that I am looking for a position that I can stay in for several years, and being enthusiastic about wanting to work for the particular organisation I'm applying to, as hopefully this will compensate for the biggest turn-off of employing grads into non-grad-level positions (they might leave when they get something better).

It's really frustrating though, as graduate jobs are so competitive, and non-graduate jobs don't want to employ graduates!

I worked in retail before I went to uni, and most of my full-time colleagues (part-timers are more likely to be students) only had GCSEs and/or A levels (or equivalent), with the exception of managers. However there are always exceptions, so you may be lucky. You just gotta keep trying. It took me over 100 applications before I got my current job last summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    This.
    I think you'll find being a carer for your grandad covers that one.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.