Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically I don't understand anything. Any help would be so much appreciated or I'm going to fail...

The one thats bugging me the most right now...Integration by parts of

\frac{2x+4}{x^3-2x^2}

I have tried it by making

\frac{A}{x^2}   and   \frac{B}{x-2}

and solving as a normal partial fraction to get A = =2 and B = 2 but these numbers don't seem to work and I don't know where I've gone wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    Basically I don't understand anything. Any help would be so much appreciated or I'm going to fail...

\frac{2x+4}{x^3-2x^2}

and solving as a normal partial fraction to get A = =2 and B = 2 but these numbers don't seem to work and I don't know where I've gone wrong...
    Your partial fractions are split wrong. When there is a repeated factor in the denominator you need to include it from power 1 all the way up to the power it is in the expression.

I.e. in this case you need to use  \frac{A}{x}  and \frac{B}{x^2} and  \frac{C}{x-2}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    Your partial fractions are split wrong. When there is a repeated factor in the denominator you need to include it from power 1 all the way up to the power it is in the expression.

I.e. in this case you need to use  \frac{A}{x}  and \frac{B}{x^2} and  \frac{C}{x-2}

Okay, so I tried it and got as far as following through this to get c=1 but i don't know what to put as the values of x to find A or B because they both have an x-2 ....

ReputationRep:

\frac{2x+4}{x^3-2x^2}

your factorising of the denominator is wrong. its a cubic function, so you've got to have 3 partial fractions

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I tried it and got as far as following through this to get c=1 but i don't know what to put as the values of x to find A or B because they both have an x-2 ....
    You need to expand out and compare the coefficients of constants, x, and x^2 etc. on left and right to get values for A and B.

EDIT: Also check the c value you've already got.

ReputationRep:
    You need to expand out and compare the coefficients of constants, x, and x^2 etc. on left and right to get values for A and B.

EDIT: Also check the c value you've already got.
    Okay I have A= -2, B = -2 and C = 2....does that sound better to continue with?

ReputationRep:
    Okay I have A= -2, B = -2 and C = 2....does that sound better to continue with?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Okay, right so using them it seems easier to intergrate but how do you intergrate

\frac{-2}{x^2} ? I have used ln for the other functions (A and C) to get -2 ln x and 2 ln (x+2)

ReputationRep:
    Okay, right so using them it seems easier to intergrate but how do you intergrate

\frac{-2}{x^2} ? I have used ln for the other functions (A and C) to get -2 ln x and 2 ln (x+2)
    Surely that is easier to integrate than A and C? If you are doing this question then you should have done how to integrate  \frac{-2}{x^2} already.

ReputationRep:
    I am also really stuck on these integrations..

\frac{cos \sqrt{}x}{\sqrt {x}} using integration by substitution

and

if  y= tan^-1 x    and    \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{1 +x^2}

Use inegration by parts to find the integral of

x tan^-1 x dx

ReputationRep:
    I am also really stuck on these integrations..

\frac{cos \sqrt{}x}{\sqrt {x}} using integration by substitution
    We generally can deal with cosx, but cos(rootx) is harder. So the first substitution worth trying is u = sqrt(x)

if  y= tan^-1 x    and    \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{1 +x^2}

Use inegration by parts to find the integral of

x tan^-1 x dx
    Let u = arctanx and dv/dx = x simply because the question hints at the differentiaton of arctanx. Although, in general, it's a good idea to let u = x (or whatever polynomial term).

ReputationRep:

\frac{2x+4}{x^3-2x^2}

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(-2/x^2)

wolframalpha was my saviour for a-level

you can put in a problem and it solves it, even giving steps for the working.

It's great to check answers/methods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    We generally can deal with cosx, but cos(rootx) is harder. So the first substitution worth trying is u = sqrt(x)

Let u = arctanx and dv/dx = x simply because the question hints at the differentiaton of arctanx. Although, in general, it's a good idea to let u = x (or whatever polynomial term).
    For the first one I tried...

du = \frac {1} {2 \sqrt{x}}

Then replaced the denominator and the dx, and took the 2 outside (or is it supposed to be 1/2 outside ? )

Then ended up with the integral of 2 cos u which I can integrate

For the second one I ended up with something I can't see myself integrating!

tan^-1 x   .  \frac{x^2}{2} - the integral of \frac{x^2}{2} . \frac{1}{1+x^2}

I dunno where I went wrong...

ReputationRep:
    For the second one I ended up with something I can't see myself integrating!

tan^-1 x   .  \frac{x^2}{2} - the integral of \frac{x^2}{2} . \frac{1}{1+x^2}

I dunno where I went wrong...
    Multiply together the two fractions under the integral sign. Can you split up the fraction into a number and a fractional remainder?

ReputationRep:
    Multiply together the two fractions under the integral sign. Can you split up the fraction into a number and a fractional remainder?
    You mean to get
     \frac {x^2}{(2)(1+x^2)}

I'm confused..

ReputationRep:
    You mean to get
     \frac {x^2}{(2)(1+x^2)}

I'm confused..
    First note that

\displaystyle\int \frac{x^2}{2\left(1+x^2\right)}d  x =\frac{1}{2}\displaystyle\int \frac{x^2}{\left(1+x^2\right)}dx

Now can you perform some sort of polynomial long division (or otherwise) on the fraction in the integral to split it into "a whole number" + "a fraction in terms of x"?

ReputationRep:
    First note that

\displaystyle\int \frac{x^2}{2\left(1+x^2\right)}d  x =\frac{1}{2}\displaystyle\int \frac{x^2}{\left(1+x^2\right)}dx

Now can you perform some sort of polynomial long division (or otherwise) on the fraction in the integral to split it into "a whole number" + "a fraction in terms of x"?
    Yes, I can Ahh thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a pain everyone but I do not understand limits at all.... for example, use the limit definition to show

f(x)=((4+x^2)^2)

then  f'(0) = 0

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to be a pain everyone but I do not understand limits at all.... for example, use the limit definition to show

f(x)=((4+x^2)^2)

then  f'(0) = 0
    What level of maths are you at? What is your definition of a limit?

And don't worry, you're not being a pain or anything. Keep em coming.

ReputationRep:

f(x)=((4+x^2)^2)

then  f'(0) = 0
    I suspect by "limit definition" you mean:
     f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{[4+(x+h)^2]^2-(4+x^2)^2}{h}

The thing to remember is that you can only substitute h with 0 once it is not in the denominator. Since the question gives you a value of x, why don't you put that in and see what happens?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.