Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    What level of maths are you at? What is your definition of a limit?

And don't worry, you're not being a pain or anything. Keep em coming.

Err I did A-level maths and now doing an intro maths module at Uni. Never did limits at a-level and dont understand them at all..

Er its  f'(x)=lim h -> 0  \frac{(fx+h)-f(x)}{h}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukdragon37)
    I suspect by "limit definition" you mean:
     f'(x) = \lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \dfrac{[4+(x+h)^2]^2-(4+x^2)^2}{h}

The thing to remember is that you can only substitute h with 0 once it is not in the denominator. Since the question gives you a value of x, why don't you put that in and see what happens?

OKay, when I follow through the above with x=0 I end up with

\frac{8h^2 +h^4}{h}

then can cancel one h thorughout...to give 8h +h^3 but no idea what that means...or if its even allowed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)

\frac{8h^2 +h^4}{h}

then can cancel one h thorughout...to give 8h +h^3 but no idea what that means...or if its even allowed!
    You are on the right lines. When you are taking the limit as h approaches 0, h gets arbitrarily small but is not at 0. Therefore it's valid to cancel h from top and bottom. Once h is not in the denominator, you can substitute h for 0 as a limit is what the expression would arrive at if h is allowed to be 0.

ReputationRep:

\frac{8h^2 +h^4}{h}

It's fine to divide through there.

Let me try and explain what's happening though:

We're basically saying that "Ok, I know a point (x, f(x)) lies on the graph of my function. Now I want to find the gradient of the tangent to my function at that point. I know that the gradient is kind of change in y/change in x. So let me consider a point close to my original point (x, f(x)). Let's say that its x coordinate is x+h, then its y coordinate must be f(x + h). Now ideally, I want x+h to be as close as possible to x, because (you can see from a sketch) then the gradient will be something meaningful (i.e. it'll be the gradient of the tangent at the point (x, f(x))). So then:

gradient = change in y/change in x

= (f(x + h) - f(x))/(x + h - x)"

Do you see that? Then this idea of getting x + h as close as possible to x is this idea of taking a limit.

You've worked out that change in y/change in x = 8h + h^3. Now as h becomes smaller and smaller, 8h + h^3 will tend towards 0, right? So the gradient is 0.

Google "differentiation by first principles" for a better explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    It's fine to divide through there.

Let me try and explain what's happening though:

We're basically saying that "Ok, I know a point (x, f(x)) lies on the graph of my function. Now I want to find the gradient of the tangent to my function at that point. I know that the gradient is kind of change in y/change in x. So let me consider a point close to my original point (x, f(x)). Let's say that its x coordinate is x+h, then its y coordinate must be f(x + h). Now ideally, I want x+h to be as close as possible to x, because (you can see from a sketch) then the gradient will be something meaningful (i.e. it'll be the gradient of the tangent at the point (x, f(x))). So then:

gradient = change in y/change in x

= (f(x + h) - f(x))/(x + h - x)"

Do you see that? Then this idea of getting x + h as close as possible to x is this idea of taking a limit.

You've worked out that change in y/change in x = 8h + h^3. Now as h becomes smaller and smaller, 8h + h^3 will tend towards 0, right? So the gradient is 0.

Google "differentiation by first principles" for a better explanation.

Thanks for the explanation It's making a bit more sense, think I just need to keep reading it through with examples...

I'm confused on one I'm trying now though where

f(x) =2+x^2    then f'(1)=2

I don't really get what I'm supposed to sub into the numerator...is it supposed to be [2+ (x+h)^2 - (2+x)^2 ] and then sub in x =1 throughout?
    Or is it [(2+x+h)^2 - (2+x)^2 ] ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the explanation It's making a bit more sense, think I just need to keep reading it through with examples...

I'm confused on one I'm trying now though where

f(x) =2+x^2    then f'(1)=2

I don't really get what I'm supposed to sub into the numerator...is it supposed to be [2+ (x+h)^2 - (2+x)^2 ] and then sub in x =1 throughout?
    Or is it [(2+x+h)^2 - (2+x)^2 ] ?
    It's the first one but it should be -(2+x^2) instead of (2+x)^2. You can tell be replacing x as (x+h) for the f(x+h) part.

ReputationRep:
    It's the first one but it should be -(2+x^2) instead of (2+x)^2. You can tell be replacing x as (x+h) for the f(x+h) part.
    Sorry I'm confused, why should it be - (2+x^2)...and where did the h just go?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I'm confused, why should it be - (2+x^2)...and where did the h just go?
    I mean it should be [2+ (x+h)^2 - (2+x^2)]. f(x) is (2+x^2) which is different to (2+x)^2 which you said the first time.

ReputationRep:
    I mean it should be [2+ (x+h)^2 - (2+x^2)]. f(x) is (2+x^2) which is different to (2+x)^2 which you said the first time.
    Ah okay thankyou

I cannot remember how to do these inequality things at all...I've been looking at some other examples but can't get this one to work...

\frac{4x^2+2x +4}{x+1}  <= 3x + 2

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thankyou

I cannot remember how to do these inequality things at all...I've been looking at some other examples but can't get this one to work...

\frac{4x^2+2x +4}{x+1}  <= 3x + 2
    Do a polynomial long division on the left hand side and then rearrange and simplify. You can solve it as if it's a quadratic equality and then sketch the curve to find the appropriate directions of the signs. Remember that if you multiply by a negative number on both sides (could include x if x is negative) you have to switch the direction of the sign.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.