Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Putting Non Machine Washable Items In The Washing Machine. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    on the "hand wash" setting. good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends what it is. Materials that are normally not suitable to wash in water could get ruined (e.g. suede). Same goes for very delicate things (e.g. fine lace, clothes with a lot of beading). If it's just a knitted top or something then it should be fine - just be sure to keep the temperature low and to use a gentle detergent (e.g. Persil Silk & Wool). If it's an expensive item though, then I wouldn't risk it - the hand wash setting of a machine is generally still going to be harsher than an actual handwash.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the material. I do it with silk and wool stuff all the time, but I use the Ecover hand wash detergent rather than the stuff I usually use.

ReputationRep:
    its a coat and its made of polyester. i might just put the belt in first and see if it comes out okay..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    its a coat and its made of polyester. i might just put the belt in first and see if it comes out okay..
    If it's polyester it should be OK. The other thing you could do is handwash it, and then just put it in the washing machine on "spin cycle only" to get the water out. It saves a lot of time compared to squeezing the water out by hand!

ReputationRep:
    just incase anyone wants to try this in the future, my coat was fine.

ReputationRep:
    Your washing machine has a 'handwash' setting?

I'd definately have sat through that cycle to observe, i mean did hands pop out into the drum and start massaging the coat?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, it didn't blow up then... :P

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you just hand wash it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moley89)
    Your washing machine has a 'handwash' setting?

I'd definitely have sat through that cycle to observe, i mean did hands pop out into the drum and start massaging the coat?
    :yep: technology these days eh..

(Original post by Dichotomy)
    Haha, it didn't blow up then... :P
    lol i was just worried that the material might go funny! cant blame me for being careful :o:

(Original post by sadiechantel)
    Why dont you just hand wash it?
    because im slightly lazy hehe

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.