Turn on thread page Beta

Why is it okay for girls to be naturally skinny and healthy... watch

...but not for guys?

ReputationRep:
    I think most people would say it's ok, it's just not a characteristic most girls prefer in a guy.

ReputationRep:
    It is okay for guys.

ReputationRep:
    I like lean guys.

Its ok for guys to be skinny- that makes me seem all the more buff in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    it's ok to be skinny, as long as you're strong.
    in general, strong people are more useful than weak people.

ReputationRep:
    Girls aren't supposed to be skinny, they are supposed to be plump

ReputationRep:
    If you're an ecto, you're an ecto.
    Besides women generally have more body fat than men so it's more okay for guys to be skinny than girls. Some dig the lanky thing goin' on, y'know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    If you're an ecto, you're an ecto.
    Besides women generally have more body fat than men so it's more okay for guys to be skinny than girls. Some dig the lanky thing goin' on, y'know...
    True, true

ReputationRep:
    Since when is it ok for fellas?

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, when did skinny equate to healthy?

And in answer to your question, the male in a relationship is usually seen as the manly, dominant, strong, protective figure. As a girl, I'm not really attracted to boys who are skinnier than me, its not a very masculine or attractive trait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl Overboard)

And in answer to your question, the male in a relationship is usually seen as the manly, dominant, strong, protective figure. As a girl, I'm not really attracted to boys who are skinnier than me, its not a very masculine or attractive trait.
    I don't think skinny = healthy is what the OP was trying to say. More like "if, in cases where a girl is able to be both skinny & healthy similtaneously, it's a positive trait then why isn't the same true for guys?"

ReputationRep:
    http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...hl-sophie1.jpg

:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    For the same reason it seems to be okay for guys to be natually pudgy, but not girls? It's called double standards.
    I think it's called the wrong way around, really. :sadnod: Naturally pudgy is how girls are supposed to be.

ReputationRep:
    Because being physically thin is not a sign of masculinity.

It's a biological imperative for men to be physically strong. Women are innately attracted to physically stronger men, since men have been the hunter-gatherers and protectors for thousands of years, women associate a strong healthy body to better offspring and increased chances of suvival.

I know women may deny this and say it's not important in this day and age, but ask them who they will feel safer around the rugby player type or the whiny little skinny jean emo who uses hairstraighteners.

They still may deny, but i've seen the way women check out muscular dudes when i'm out and about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ask-Answer-Discover)
    Because being physically thin is not a sign of masculinity.

It's a biological imperative for men to be physically strong. Women are innately attracted to physically stronger men, since men have been the hunter-gatherers and protectors for thousands of years, women associate a strong healthy body to better offspring and increased chances of suvival.

I know women may deny this and say it's not important in this day and age, but ask them who they will feel safer around the rugby player type or the whiny little skinny jean emo who uses hairstraighteners.

They still may deny, but i've seen the way women check out muscular dudes when i'm out and about.
    This, really. Although fashion comes into it as well, different shapes have been in favour at different points through history. Damn I wish alan partridge 'ladyshapes' was actually made.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay! I think naturally thin boys aren't bad. :L Infact, i'd probably go for a slighter boy than are bigger, rugby type. They are quite cute. However, i can't stand ribs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl Overboard)

Naturally skinny people are people with small bones and a fast metabolism. They eat right but have small wrists etc. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Naturally skinny people are people with small bones and a fast metabolism. They eat right but have small wrists etc. :rolleyes:
    To be honest if it's a guy it's a bad excuse to blame genetics on why they are skinny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    To be honest if it's a guy it's a bad excuse to blame genetics on why they are skinny.
    It depends what kind of skinny you're on about really. When i say naturally skinny, i don't mean all ribs and bones. I mean just slim, slender arms etc. :P And are you saying that there is no excuse because he could work out at the gym? Well that's kinda sad, a boy shouldn't have to work out at the gym all the time, should he?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.