Turn on thread page Beta

Why is it okay for girls to be naturally skinny and healthy... watch

...but not for guys? People openly say they aren't attractive because they are too skinny, but it would be seen as mean to say the same about a girl.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's NOT OK for a guy to be skinny and healthy. There's just a stereotype that big, bulky muscles are better (when, IMO, they aren't).

ReputationRep:
    Would it? Loads of guys on here say their preference is for curvy girls, I don't see them get vilified for it. Equally, loads of girls on here say they prefer skinny guys over more muscular, what's the problem.

Edit: Unless you're getting confused with a few recent threads where some obviously underweight guys were asking if they were skinny or not? In which case, they most certainly were not healthy.

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of males in evolution is to protect females and young, whereas females' is to bear children. Therefore women can be skinny because it shows they are healthier than the fatties which means they must have better genes or more well-suited to bearing children (as an instinct judgement) but guys cannot be skinny because it suggests they are less able to protect women and their young.

It is all based on instincts. After all we are animals.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh girls probably want guys who are slim and healthy but with well shaped pecs and arms. I think the days are over when girls wanted a brick *********.

ReputationRep:
    Skinny healthy guys aren't as "manly" unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    :erm: I prefer skinny guys

ReputationRep:
    I prefer skinny guys, and I don't find people who have overly big muscles attractive either. A bit of muscle is fine, but when they look like they spend more time at a gym doing weights, it just looks ridiculous I think.

Just like different guys prefer different shaped girls, girls don't all like the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Most girls don't want to be stronger than the guy there with.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with skinny guys. I wouldn't want someone who was underweight and actually unhealty, but I think naturally skinny guys can be just as hot as muscular ones

ReputationRep:
    I would like to know this too. I'm definatly healthy and eat normally but due to family genetics i cant seem to put on weight right now!..I think jealousy plays a part sometimes..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladies Man)
    The purpose of males in evolution is to protect females and young, whereas females' is to bear children. Therefore women can be skinny because it shows they are healthier than the fatties which means they must have better genes or more well-suited to bearing children (as an instinct judgement) but guys cannot be skinny because it suggests they are less able to protect women and their young.

It is all based on instincts. After all we are animals.
    Agree with the guys bit.

However the bolded bit can be debatable.

Fatter women, not obese, so I suppose curvy, were seen as more desireable as they are seen to be healthier (more food, vitamins etc) and from a wealthier and better background.

In some countries, this is still the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    I would like to know this too. I'm definatly healthy and eat normally but due to family genetics i cant seem to put on weight right now!..I think jealousy plays a part sometimes..
    Jealousy on whose part?

ReputationRep:
    Tbf, it probably is your diet.

It's like saying 'I know i'm fat, i've tried losing weight, but all my family are overweight, so I guess it's just genetics.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    Tbh girls probably want guys who are slim and healthy but with well shaped pecs and arms. I think the days are over when girls wanted a brick *********.
    Nah, I get loads more female attention since I bulked up.

As in the girl's jealous of the guy because he's skinnier than her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Jealousy on whose part?
    Well from personal experience the people who have teased me most about my weight would be overweight people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    As in the girl's jealous of the guy because he's skinnier than her?
    No lol as in "other" people teasing one about their weight and making it seem that guys cannot be healthy and skinny and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    I love skinny guys. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

But remember, weight doesn't necessarily = health. There's a lot more to being healthy than being a healthy weight.

No lol as in "other" people teasing one about their weight and making it seem that guys cannot be healthy and skinny and whatnot.
    But then it's often the case that a girl won't want to be with someone skinnier than herself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.