Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is it okay for girls to be naturally skinny and healthy... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    I love skinny guys. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

But remember, weight doesn't necessarily = health. There's a lot more to being healthy than being a healthy weight.
    There are however a lot of ignorant people who do think that weight = health...and subsequently tell me to "eat" even though I eat really well.:yes:

Or is it that girls are scared of being seen as a paedo because the guy has a somewhat 'pre-pubescent' body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Well from personal experience the people who have teased me most about my weight would be overweight people.

I don't see how jealously would affect whether or not they find you attractive.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is true to be honest. Skinny girls sometimes feel down because guys are always like 'we prefer curvy girls - not size 0's!!' and loads of girls prefer the skinny 'geek chic' look. Vice versa as well. I think it works both ways to be honest. I don't think it's 'not okay' to be a particular body but if you're extremely anorexic or extremely obese, I think the number of people who will be attracted to you is considerably lower lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ...but not for guys? People openly say they aren't attractive because they are too skinny, but it would be seen as mean to say the same about a girl.
    I thought most teenage girls go for the 'skinny guy who does the occasional press' up look.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladies Man)
    The purpose of males in evolution is to protect females and young, whereas females' is to bear children. Therefore women can be skinny because it shows they are healthier than the fatties which means they must have better genes or more well-suited to bearing children (as an instinct judgement) but guys cannot be skinny because it suggests they are less able to protect women and their young.

It is all based on instincts. After all we are animals.
    You're not getting away with this post.

First of all, the evolutionary theory you're suggesting has no proof. There's nothing that women couldn't protect themselves against that's different from what men would have to protect themselves against. In the wild, males have to protect themselves from other males, there's no intrinsic threat aimed at females.

Second of all, skinny women are more likely to lose pregnancies than fatter women because having a foetus inside you uses up energy; for that a strong bone structure and general health are needed, all of which are better in curvy women (count breasts as well) than skinny women.

Thirdly, and I am repeating myself here, humans aren't any odd mammal; any odd male mammal doesn't protect their offspring more than the females. It's a mistake saying that humans are all the same, and saying that humans are the same as other mammals, when they aren't; and it's also a mistake spilling out evoluationary theories which haven't been proven.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    I don't see how jealously would affect whether or not they find you attractive.
    Yeah I know - i've sort of manipulated this thread, i'm not really talking about attractiveness - more so the notion that a guy cant be skinny and healthy at the same time. Sorry for the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    Being feminie is having a good figure, which being slim emphasises.
    Being masculine is again, having a figure, but usually classic triangular back etc, which being well built brings out.

If either are the opposite, well then they're going the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    You're not getting away with this post.

First of all, the evolutionary theory you're suggesting has no proof. There's nothing that women couldn't protect themselves against that's different from what men would have to protect themselves against. In the wild, males have to protect themselves from other males, there's no intrinsic threat aimed at females.

Second of all, skinny women are more likely to lose pregnancies than fatter women because having a foetus inside you uses up energy; for that a strong bone structure and general health are needed, all of which are better in curvy women (count breasts as well) than skinny women.

Thirdly, and I am repeating myself here, humans aren't any odd mammal; any odd male mammal doesn't protect their offspring more than the females. It's a mistake saying that humans are all the same, and saying that humans are the same as other mammals, when they aren't; and it's also a mistake spilling out evoluationary theories which haven't been proven.
    Well, it's impossible to prove any evoluationary theories.

There is proof that man are naturally stronger than women.

There is threat aimed at females- predators, other mating partners, kidnapping (yes, this does happen in the animal kingdom). Males need to be stronger for lots of things.

You see this type of behaviour with apes etc. The alpha male and all that.

There is also psychological proof that females are more attracted to more mascular bodies and faces.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see whats wrong with what hes saying here. Why do you think men are designed to lay down more muscle than women by default? The extra muscle is needed for tasks such as hunting, fighting for females and to defend them, just like practically every other mammal.

I pretty much agree with this.

We're not the same as other mammals, obviously, but it would also be wrong to imagine we're completely different. We're not as special as we'd like to think we are, and subconsciously many of our actions are fuelled by the same basic desires as can be seen in the animal kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    Girls and guys can be too skinny, but I see what you mean it's more acceptable for a girl to be slim (I dont like the word skinny) -> but thats how women look when their active and healthy whereas men look more muscley and defined.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and also, is it okay for girls to be skinny?
    I suppose the word 'skinny' may mean different things for different people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Oh, and also, is it okay for girls to be skinny?
    I suppose the word 'skinny' may mean different things for different people.
    I agree I don't think many guys I know would say skinny is attractive, slim is but skinny makes me think of bones/ no shape etc. I've heard guys say 'she's too skinny' so I don't think I'm the only one who thinks thats what it means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Well, it's impossible to prove any evoluationary theories.
    It is possible to prove evolutionary theories. :indiff:

There is proof that man are naturally stronger than women.
    Depends how you look at it.

There is threat aimed at females- predators, other mating partners, kidnapping (yes, this does happen in the animal kingdom). Males need to be stronger for lots of things.
    Predators don't hunt females because of their sex :indiff: Other mating partners don't attack females, they attack other males. Kidnapping isn't bad for the female, it's bad for other males. Males only need to be stronger than other males, not for things such as protecting from predators e.g. no male zebra could ever protect a female zebra from a lion. Males don't protect females from danger, they only protect themselves from being stolen their female. For theories like these, there's plenty of evidence. This kind of behaviour is clearly not analogous with human behaviour.

You see this type of behaviour with apes etc. The alpha male and all that.
    Apes are a different species. The human version of an "alpha" male is a myth. Basically, the alpha male should produce most offspring. If you take the alpha male to be the richest or most successful, or most good-looking, or strongest, man, he's likely to be childless. Take a poor, unattractive, mediocre, man and he's more likely to have 5 kids. How come? Humans aren't any odd mammal.

There is also psychological proof that females are more attracted to more mascular bodies and faces.
    That may well be the case, but preferring one picture over the other hardly suggests anything for when it comes to the real-life situation of choosing a partner. If the evolutionary theory were the case, then women would all flock to the strongest man who'd be polygamous. This isn't the case by miles, as most guys are average looking.

ReputationRep:
    I've never thought about it tbh. Male physique isn't something that comes top on my list of what I look for in a man. I'd rather he was kind, considerate and confident than 'buff' or 'stacked'.

My current bf's what people call 'skinny', my first boyfriend was built like a brick ***-House. It's not something I care about tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    I don't see whats wrong with what hes saying here. Why do you think men are designed to lay down more muscle than women by default? The extra muscle is needed for tasks such as hunting, fighting for females and to defend them, just like practically every other mammal.
    No, no, and more no. The extra muscle isn't for hunting, there are countless species where the female does the hunting e.g. lions. The extra muscle is merely for establishing some sort of competition ground e.g. birds don't have more muscle, they have more colours. Males don't defend the females from predators as I said above, they only defend from other males.

We're not the same as other mammals, obviously, but it would also be wrong to imagine we're completely different. We're not as special as we'd like to think we are, and subconsciously many of our actions are fuelled by the same basic desires as can be seen in the animal kingdom.
    Our basic instincts are all good and that, but even if they are at the base of all our behaviour, that doesn't mean that they are the cause of it. We are merely designed to act, rather than to act in a certain way e.g. the flight/fight response, it's up to you to decide whether you'll fly or fight; the sexual instinct - it's up to you if you'll masturbate or have sex with a male or a female; the feeding instict - it's up to you if you'll hunt and fry a deer or microwave a burrito. Similarly, you can't blame any instinct for a specific behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    Most girls don't want to be stronger than the guy there with.
    yep, this is true....and they don't want to be biggger :nah:

ReputationRep:
    No, no, and more no. The extra muscle isn't for hunting, there are countless species where the female does the hunting e.g. lions. The extra muscle is merely for establishing some sort of competition ground e.g. birds don't have more muscle, they have more colours. Males don't defend the females from predators as I said above, they only defend from other males.
    Other males are predators. Regardless of from what they are defending, the fact remains the male in almost all mammals, including humans, is charged with the responsibility of defending the females in the interest of passing on his own genes. Males are biologically designed to lay down more muscle, therefore being muscular is seen as a masculine attribute and hence attractive (within reason of course).

Our basic instincts are all good and that, but even if they are at the base of all our behaviour, that doesn't mean that they are the cause of it. We are merely designed to act, rather than to act in a certain way e.g. the flight/fight response, it's up to you to decide whether you'll fly or fight; the sexual instinct - it's up to you if you'll masturbate or have sex with a male or a female; the feeding instict - it's up to you if you'll hunt and fry a deer or microwave a burrito. Similarly, you can't blame any instinct for a specific behaviour.
    But our behaviour is influenced by biology, whether you like it or not. Of course that doesn't justify bad behaviour, people should be able to control their instincts, but to deny that our behaviour is influenced by biology is simply wrong. For example, males naturally have levels of testosterone many times higher than females. Testosterone has physical effects - for example masculine secondary sex characteristics such as a deep voice, more body hair. But it also effects our behaviour - testosterone causes increased agression, competitiveness, and willingness to take risks.

Even today these behavioural effects of testosterone are visible in our society, its part of the reason why men often dominate in extremely competitive professions and also part of the reason why men pay higher car insurance premiums.

ReputationRep:
    Girls like to be with someone who look like they can handle themselves and who they feel safe with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BunnyS:))
    yep, this is true....and they don't want to be biggger :nah:
    Yeah thats bad from a guys point of view too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.