Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

should I go to the gym on my own or with someone/a group? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so the question is in the thread title:p:

ReputationRep:
    why would it matter? the only reason you may want to go with a group is if you want them to spot you, otherwise it makes no difference, you're going there to work out, not have a chat

Go with one person to spot you and to add a little bit of motivation, more than one you'll just end up talking and not putting as much effort in..

ReputationRep:
    I go by myself - less distraction. I don't see the point in going with others, depends how motivated you are a gym buddy may help.

ReputationRep:
    I go to the Gym by myself, the vast majority of the time. It's just less distraction and certain friends I used to go with would annoy the hell out of me. I just want to get into my workout and lift without any distraction and theres normally someone around if i need someone to spot me.

ReputationRep:
    Go own your own, and forget about asking other people to spot you because i can guarantee 90percent of the people get in the way and don't know wtf they are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Go own your own, and forget about asking other people to spot you because i can guarantee 90percent of the people get in the way and don't know wtf they are doing.
    This. I remember persuading a friend to come to the weights room with me once, so she could spot me when I was squatting. She refused to stand anywhere near me and just moaned about not being on the cross trainer:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    This. I remember persuading a friend to come to the weights room with me once, so she could spot me when I was squatting. She refused to stand anywhere near me and just moaned about not being on the cross trainer:mad:
    awwwwwww chick.

I've worked in with 2 blokes before and have asked them to spot...they just wouldn't let go of the bloody bar :banghead: It's funny tho, because i spot them in between the sets and i just stand there...(coz that's what you're meant to do until they have a problem).

I just don't put the collars on and if there's a problem i just tilt the bar and let the weights tumble off. :o: it can be quite embarrasing but - i'm such a girl :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Go with an Ipod

ReputationRep:
    I would say by yourself because it'll be less embarrassing if you have to stop or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    On your own; they gym's a time for me to unwind and release some stress.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes go with my boyfriend and sometimes on my own. I'd say it doesn't make a difference with me because we both just listen to our own ipods anyway and do separate stuff.
    We've tried talking while on machines next to eachother and it just makes it harder and I actually slow down cos I'm not concentrating as much as I could be.
    Go by yourself but make sure you have an ipod as I could never go to the gym without mine. I did once and got really bored and just wanted to go home :p:

ReputationRep:
    it really depend on how you work best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rlw31)
    Why would you need a spotter for squatting anyway?

ReputationRep:
    You should go with 1 person provided you both have a goal and can motivate each other to achieve it. When i work out with my bro all structured training goes out the window and descends into a macho contest, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Why would you need a spotter for squatting anyway?

No powercage, the squat rack had no safety rails.

ReputationRep:
    I always go on my own. Most people i see at the gym are on their own too, but i guess another person might be good for motivation.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.