Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrancesO)
    After. It didn't stop him getting a job, but if they were that concerned, I think it's fair to extrapolate that a tattoo on the hand would just not be acceptable. Not to mention, there would be no way of covering it without just drawing more attention to it.

On the other hand, it depends what work you're expecting to do. What kind of career are you expecting to go into?

i dont have a career in mind tbh

at the min im self employed so its not a problem at this moment in time

suppose it could be covered by a elastoplast

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    i dont have a career in mind tbh

at the min im self employed so its not a problem at this moment in time

suppose it could be covered by a elastoplast
    If you're not sure what kind of employer you're going to have, it might be best to avoid it for now at least - you can certainly always get it later! Maybe give some consideration to how much it will effect you, and weigh that against how much you want the tattoo. If you'd rather have it and possibly have difficultly with getting a job in the future, then I'd say go for it - I have tattoos myself, and I'm definitely not against them.

I'd just say be very careful getting one there, give yourself some time to think about it and as I said think about the implications in your future. You'll come to your own decision.

ReputationRep:
    Beware hand tattoo's tend to rub and lose ink.

I saw someone who HAD "love-hate" tattooed on his knuckles, but it had rubbed off and was NOW "love-hat".

(Original post by silverbolt)
    tattoos on the neck, facer and hands are called career blockers
    I can't see why neck would be a career blocker... I have birds running across my arm/neck/back/"peck" and it's never even raised an eyebrow.

It depends on what you wear to work... I wear a suit, and at minium a long sleeve shirt. Which means I'm covered up, even my neck thanks to the collar (unless I wear a white shirt and it rains).

Think about what you are likely to wear in your chosen industry and what they are likely to find acceptable. Me I put on a short sleeve shirt and marked out where the collar/sleeve ended, and then got tattoo's up until the marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    No wayss..I saw someone the other day with one on the front of his hand it looked epic!!
    ok, I lied, I'd still love one, but I'm too much of a pussy to get a tattoo... ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Nah I didn't buy them in the end. Went for something more feminine. lol.

Studded belts.. hmm, you can get them from most leather shops I'd have thought, clothes markets, probably some high street men's shops? Not too sure tbh.
    I got them

Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitra1000)
    Beware hand tattoo's tend to rub and lose ink.

I saw someone who HAD "love-hate" tattooed on his knuckles, but it had rubbed off and was NOW "love-hat".

I can't see why neck would be a career blocker... I have birds running across my arm/neck/back/"peck" and it's never even raised an eyebrow.

It depends on what you wear to work... I wear a suit, and at minium a long sleeve shirt. Which means I'm covered up, even my neck thanks to the collar (unless I wear a white shirt and it rains).

Think about what you are likely to wear in your chosen industry and what they are likely to find acceptable. Me I put on a short sleeve shirt and marked out where the collar/sleeve ended, and then got tattoo's up until the marks
    sorry by neck i meant above the collar line reaching up under the hair to behind the ears

ReputationRep:
    well i think ive found two places to get it done at, one i defo know will do hand tattoos, the other i THINK will, they have two hand tattoos in their gallery on their site

ReputationRep:
    It's called PUBLIC skin. Because it's skin that is always on view to the general public. That means hands, face and neck (above collar line).

If you don't know what you want to do career-wise, it's not a good idea. Despite what people like to think, tattoos are still often not accepted in the workplace. Particularly if they can never be covered. Wearing a plaster on your hand every working day of your life is not really practical, is it?

And as was said, most good tattoo artists won't do public skin if they think it could affect somebody's future or just don't think they're mature enough to make the decision. Simply because they do not want to be associated with such wrecklessness.

ReputationRep:
    Listen Tintinktinkerbell, i have a lot of tattoos, on my neck, and my hands, (face comes later) and it has never inhibited my abilities of getting a job. Some people are just pricks and judge you for the way you look and those people arent worth your time, right now i'm in a part time job in a retail outlet, and the only comments i have gotten about my tattoos from both my collegues and customers have all been good comments. if you want my honest advice, id say think about it for a while (cause afterall, it is a tattoo) and then if you still want to, go for it, dont let anyone else's views put you off your own.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.