Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What kind of exercise? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I would like to be a little fitter. I get out of breath going up stairs (awful I know), and my joints seem to be getting worse and worse (I'm only 21). Only problem is, I'm very naturally skinny and it's hard enough as it is to keep at a healthy weight without exercising - I'm worried that if I start, I'll lose weight quickly and become unhealthily skinny again. I'm also a bit worried about my joint pains, as last time I tried running I got stabbing pains in my knees.

So what I'd like to know, is what kind of exercise would be safe for me? Preferably something that could help my joints get a little healthier again, and something that won't make me lose weight...

ReputationRep:
    swimming maybe

ReputationRep:
    swimming maybe

ReputationRep:
    Go see a physio and they'll probably recommend you some stuff...

maybe take some glucosamine for the joints?

ReputationRep:
    Do relatively light weighted squats (this is something of a catch-22, but is the only way you're going to strengthen your knees). Consume plenty fish oil and eat more food to compensate for expended calories. Obviously avoid high impact exercise like running.

ReputationRep:
    Its likely your diet is ***** and you lacking in fish oils and other essential supplements. What are you currently eating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Its likely your diet is ***** and you lacking in fish oils and other essential supplements. What are you currently eating?
    I eat pretty well - 3 meals a day, not junk (meat and 3 veg of some form for dinner usually). Don't eat much fish though.

ReputationRep:
    swimming and a cross country trainer would be ideal. if you exercise properly you wont lose weight... you will gain weight, as muscle weighs 2.5 times more than fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviaj)
    swimming and a cross country trainer would be ideal. if you exercise properly you wont lose weight... you will gain weight, as muscle weighs 2.5 times more than fat
    Ha, that's good to know. :o: Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You could try cycling maybe, a lot less stressful on the knees than running.

ReputationRep:
    yea cycling is good, but i think jogging would really do the trick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrancesO)
    I eat pretty well - 3 meals a day, not junk (meat and 3 veg of some form for dinner usually). Don't eat much fish though.
    3 meals a day could amount to a slice of toast, a boiled egg and a chicken breast.

Or it could amount to 3 eggs, a bowl of porridge, two apples, 500g chicken, 150g rice, 150g pasta, a tin of tuna, two pints of milk...

If you want to assess the quality of your diet, you need to say more than "three meals a day".

To gain weight, regardless of whether it is muscle or fat, you need to be consuming more energy than you release. So if you are exercising well and hoping to gain weight, you're going to have to start eating like a horse. A good balance of proteins, fats and carbs in copious amounts. If you are not gaining the weight you want to gain, you need to eat more food. It's really that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    3 meals a day could amount to a slice of toast, a boiled egg and a chicken breast.

Or it could amount to 3 eggs, a bowl of porridge, two apples, 500g chicken, 150g rice, 150g pasta, a tin of tuna, two pints of milk...

If you want to assess the quality of your diet, you need to say more than "three meals a day".

To gain weight, regardless of whether it is muscle or fat, you need to be consuming more energy than you release. So if you are exercising well and hoping to gain weight, you're going to have to start eating like a horse. A good balance of proteins, fats and carbs in copious amounts. If you are not gaining the weight you want to gain, you need to eat more food. It's really that simple.
    I don't want to gain weight - I just don't want to lose it. :rolleyes:

Okay - standard day's meals... shreddies and smoothie for breakfast. couple of sandwiches (usually something like ham and cheese), some fruit and crisps for lunch. dinner varies massively - it's probably a slightly smaller portion than average, though. snacks throughout the day like fruit, and little picnicky type things (mini pork pies or sausage rolls), but not that much.

To be honest, I don't know much about what constitutes a healthy diet - just that mine is a lot healthier than most people I know. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to gain weight - I just don't want to lose it. :rolleyes:

Okay - standard day's meals... shreddies and smoothie for breakfast. couple of sandwiches (usually something like ham and cheese), some fruit and crisps for lunch. dinner varies massively - it's probably a slightly smaller portion than average, though. snacks throughout the day like fruit, and little picnicky type things (mini pork pies or sausage rolls), but not that much.

To be honest, I don't know much about what constitutes a healthy diet - just that mine is a lot healthier than most people I know. :p:
    Okay, well, presuming that your dinner is a full cooked meal, your breakfast and lunch are still very low in calories. I'd advise switching out your shreddies for porridge or eggs and having a pasta or rice-based lunch with a protein like chicken or tuna.

ReputationRep:
    the chances are, your making the mistake 99% of dieters make, they cut out a whole food group, probs CARBS, so your body is in starvation mode, make sure you diet is balanced WHICH MEANS CARBS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    the chances are, your making the mistake 99% of dieters make, they cut out a whole food group, probs CARBS, so your body is in starvation mode, make sure you diet is balanced WHICH MEANS CARBS.
    I'm not dieting, I'm eating normally!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, well, presuming that your dinner is a full cooked meal, your breakfast and lunch are still very low in calories. I'd advise switching out your shreddies for porridge or eggs and having a pasta or rice-based lunch with a protein like chicken or tuna.
    Okay, so basically up the calories and then I don't have to worry about losing them in exercise... Cheers

Although god knows how people have time to eat eggs every morning...

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so basically up the calories and then I don't have to worry about losing them in exercise... Cheers

Although god knows how people have time to eat eggs every morning...
    You can quite easily make time to eat eggs by getting up three minutes earlier than before.

ReputationRep:
    You can quite easily make time to eat eggs by getting up three minutes earlier than before.
    You're forgetting washing up time. And I don't eat at the speed of light, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    You're forgetting washing up time. And I don't eat at the speed of light, unfortunately.
    How much time does it take to eat an egg? No more than it takes to eat cereal at any rate. You also have to wash up after eating cereal and rinsing a pan takes all of 5 seconds. Or, failing that, wash up when you get home. It's really not an enormous logistical problem.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.