Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can i claim JSA? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ive been let go from college before christmas and i want to claim because im looking for full time work and still no luck i need something coming in , ive turned 18 years old recently but im not sure what to do and how to claim?

i heard there is like a 40 min phone call i got told to call them , what do i have to say about college if they ask and im not to sure what to do

ReputationRep:
    yh you can apply give them a call! For college say you let go for financial reasons, and are looking for a job to accomade yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    yh you can apply give them a call! For college say you let go for financial reasons, and are looking for a job to accomade yourself!

thanks for the reply! that was straight and simply great answer , but im living with at home is that a problem , would they send me letters in the post? i dont want my family to know im on job seekers

please get back to me thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious123)
    thanks for the reply! that was straight and simply great answer , but im living with at home is that a problem , would they send me letters in the post? i dont want my family to know im on job seekers

unfortunately when my older brother was on JSA a few years back they did send a few letters but you can always give them a call and arrange other possibilities such as email

ReputationRep:
    Its only 30 min phone call nothing to worry about than they'l call you for interview which is basically a set of questions, they will send letters down house when needed to for interviews/ proof e.g. college dates.

Nothing to stress about just give them a call.

ReputationRep:
    would being on jobseekers affect me in anyway in the future? i mean lyk with income support the council or government tracks ur activities later in life but im planning to go to college in September or apprenticeship but not sure yet

ReputationRep:

Unfortunately letters are still the primary way of contacting people on JSA. You might be able to get some things emailed to you, but not everything.

would being on jobseekers affect me in anyway in the future? i mean lyk with income support the council or government tracks ur activities later in life but im planning to go to college in September or apprenticeship but not sure yet
    It won't matter. You might have a gap in your CV but apart from that claiming benefits won't have an impact on anything you do in the future.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't do aslong as your actively looking for work and not scrounging of it for years- seeing as your going college I doubt it would.

ReputationRep:
    Don't tell them you are planning on going back to college. Just say you are looking for work, to avoid any complications. I don't think it would affect your claim, but just to be safe.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you'd be able to put a claim in yes! The phone call isn't too long and the questions are all really generic and usually involve a yes or no answer. You are then asked to attend an interview with a personal advisor at your local office. They just confirm what you said on the phone was correct and ask for proof of identity and address. I think I took my passport, provisional and a bank statement. They give you a book to log your job searches and give you a day and time to sign. After that you receive a letter in the post telling you how much you will receive.

In regard to the letters, they are very discreet. In totally plain brown envelopes, you could tell your family it was a bank statement.

Living at home isn't a problem either, but if you're not paying rent that may mean the amount you can claim each week is less. When I was claiming I was living at home and fell into the lowest bracket for income based JSA which was £50.95 a week.

Being on Jobseekers wont likely affect you in the future, you are free to sign off anytime if your situation changes, whether you've found work or not. I wouldn't disclose the fact you have considered college though and in terms of the apprenticeship the job centre might actually be able to help you with that if you did want to go down that route at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieMT)
    Sounds like you'd be able to put a claim in yes! The phone call isn't too long and the questions are all really generic and usually involve a yes or no answer. You are then asked to attend an interview with a personal advisor at your local office. They just confirm what you said on the phone was correct and ask for proof of identity and address. I think I took my passport, provisional and a bank statement. They give you a book to log your job searches and give you a day and time to sign. After that you receive a letter in the post telling you how much you will receive.

In regard to the letters, they are very discreet. In totally plain brown envelopes, you could tell your family it was a bank statement.

Living at home isn't a problem either, but if you're not paying rent that may mean the amount you can claim each week is less. When I was claiming I was living at home and fell into the lowest bracket for income based JSA which was £50.95 a week.

Being on Jobseekers wont likely affect you in the future, you are free to sign off anytime if your situation changes, whether you've found work or not. I wouldn't disclose the fact you have considered college though and in terms of the apprenticeship the job centre might actually be able to help you with that if you did want to go down that route at a later date.
    thanks for all that info , i pay my mother rent but that is a on and off thing if u know what i mean , its your mother for god sake lol , but yeh she asks for rent , does that qualify me for more , i think 50 pound a week is more than enough but its hard to say really , 2moro i will give them the call and how long does it take?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all that info , i pay my mother rent but that is a on and off thing if u know what i mean , its your mother for god sake lol , but yeh she asks for rent , does that qualify me for more , i think 50 pound a week is more than enough but its hard to say really , 2moro i will give them the call and how long does it take?
    The amount you get isn't based on if you have to pay rent. Anyone between 18 and 24 gets £50.95 a week, unless they have a part time job or a ton of savings.

The call, as others have said is about half an hour, and the follow up meeting at the jobcentre is about the same length. As for the actual claim, that can take a while to go through since we're pretty busy with new claims. You'll get money eventually though, and it'll be back dated to the day you first made the claim.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really based on rent, a number of factors. As already mentioned part time job (anything under 16 hours a week), savings (anything under £6000 I think and it's not an issue), dependants, maritial status and whether you are claiming contribution based or income based JSA.

But regardless if you are paying your mother anything you should disclose that information. Same for everything else you are asked, just be honest and if you are in doubt mention something anyway, usually you just get told it's fine though.

Call is about 25 minutes or so, I think the interview was a little longer maximum 40 minutes. But a lot of that was me waiting around or having information photocopied. It's not 40 minutes of solid questions no worries there!

ReputationRep:
    You cannot claim JSA while in full-time education.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to pay your mother rent out of your JSA.

ReputationRep:
    Just be prepared to go through torture to get your money. The system is really slow. They don't use email WTF and the staff are incompetent. Other than that when the payment comes in it will be fine.

Also if you are claiming travel money to an interview they lock you in a room with tens of junkies waiting for their crisis loans.

ReputationRep:
    ive been let go from college before christmas and i want to claim because im looking for full time work and still no luck i need something coming in , ive turned 18 years old recently but im not sure what to do and how to claim?

i heard there is like a 40 min phone call i got told to call them , what do i have to say about college if they ask and im not to sure what to do
    Don't get it. The public finaces are in a dire situation and you're just making it worse for the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    They are always happy when you leave to go on to further education. I was on job seekers before I started at uni and when I told my case worker I was applying to uni she was really happy for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Don't get it. The public finaces are in a dire situation and you're just making it worse for the rest of us.
    I think he is more entitled to it than girls who get pregenant just for the benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)
    Just be prepared to go through torture to get your money. The system is really slow. They don't use email WTF and the staff are incompetent. Other than that when the payment comes in it will be fine.

Also if you are claiming travel money to an interview they lock you in a room with tens of junkies waiting for their crisis loans.
    This is partially true. The system is slow but it's not because we don't use email or are incompetent, it just takes time to process the amount of claims that come in every day.

The travel money thing...you must have a crappy office. In mine we just sit you down for a few minutes to decide whether you need it or not. There's no locked doors!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.