Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

can i claim JSA? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    This is partially true. The system is slow but it's not because we don't use email or are incompetent, it just takes time to process the amount of claims that come in every day.

The travel money thing...you must have a crappy office. In mine we just sit you down for a few minutes to decide whether you need it or not. There's no locked doors!
    :L My office was in a particularly bad part of Scotland.

Why do they not use email? This seriously is just beyond comprehension for me and would save the stress of documents apparently going missing in the post, that is always a classic.

I had to wait over a month for my claim to be processed due to incompetence.

Anyway glad I no longer have to sign on but I was treated terribly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello.)
    :L My office was in a particularly bad part of Scotland.

Why do they not use email? This seriously is just beyond comprehension for me and would save the stress of documents apparently going missing in the post, that is always a classic.

I had to wait over a month for my claim to be processed due to incompetence.

Anyway glad I no longer have to sign on but I was treated terribly.
    Sorry to hear that, I guess not everyone has a good experience.

The email thing I'm not sure of. I think it comes down to the program we use for most things being crap at incorporating new features and security. That's the line we get most often when we ask. I'd love to use email to contact people, it's a pain to send out letters everyday to the people who don't turn up to sign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    Is your mother on benefits?

If she is then you claiming JSA will affect her benfits such as Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, so you really won't be able to hide the fact that you are on JSA unless you want to get her benefits stopped while they investigate you all!

guys seriously? i mean my family is not on benefits at all , my older brother is but i dont talk to him that much and my family is middle class family , not to be rude or anything so everyones got a job but i thought me being on job seekers is my business? as in why would they want to investigate my family , would they inform any of my family members?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jinglepupskye)
    You live with them!!

Seriously no-one is going to hand-out money without knowing all of your circumstances and where you are living.

Why are you so bothered about your family finding out about you being on benefits? Do they not know about you leaving college? Surely you would do better being honest with them rather than hoping that they won't find out?

well i cant , my family will kill me , dont ask me why its jus personal issues , im looking for a job now so when i get one i will tell them then but till them i dont want them to know , i was on EMA before with the full £30 so the income in my house is pretty low , this is the only way i can recieve money , if stay at my cousins house alot could i put their house where i live? ill rather get mail there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious123)
    guys seriously? i mean my family is not on benefits at all , my older brother is but i dont talk to him that much and my family is middle class family , not to be rude or anything so everyones got a job but i thought me being on job seekers is my business? as in why would they want to investigate my family , would they inform any of my family members?
    I think the investigation comment is based on the idea of a member of your family claiming benefits and not declaring that you are too since they can have an impact on their benefits. Since you say your parents aren't getting any benefits you won't get investigated and your parents won't be told.

As for getting post at another persons house, I'm pretty sure you can do that, but you have to give a reason IIRC because we need to know that you'll definitely get post that we send you on time. If you gave an address for someone you see once a year then we can't be sure you'll get the stuff we send you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gateshipone)
    I think the investigation comment is based on the idea of a member of your family claiming benefits and not declaring that you are too since they can have an impact on their benefits. Since you say your parents aren't getting any benefits you won't get investigated and your parents won't be told.

As for getting post at another persons house, I'm pretty sure you can do that, but you have to give a reason IIRC because we need to know that you'll definitely get post that we send you on time. If you gave an address for someone you see once a year then we can't be sure you'll get the stuff we send you.
    the reason being is , i live with my friend in his house but i dont know if i should be giving my family house i dont really talk 2 them that much but i dont want to bother them with my stuff thats the reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious123)
    the reason being is , i live with my friend in his house but i dont know if i should be giving my family house i dont really talk 2 them that much but i dont want to bother them with my stuff thats the reason
    Ah well if you're living at the address you give the jobcentre that'll be fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.