Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much difference do clothes make to attractiveness? watch

How much more attractive would you say a girls clothes make her look if her figure is alright? Is there much difference between say jeans, trainers with t shirt.. and long top with tights/jeggings, boots? I doubt there is but it makes me wonder.

ReputationRep:
    Being well dressed is something I like in a partner, your clothes are an extention of your personality, they make the best of your features/body and can definatly affect a persons impression of someone. Its not the be all and end all by any means, but its a nice bonus.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the guy above me. And since I try to dress well, I wouldn't be averse to her doing the same. d:

A girl's choice in clothes says a lot about her. If I'm interested in someone I also check her clothes and shoes. Between the two choices you mentioned... there is quite a difference. I would notice the latter more the the former. In my uni the girls all dress the same. Worst and one of the most common: Loose fitting hoodie, sweatpants, uggs. Terrible.

What I would definitely notice: knee-length skirt, heels, slim jacket.

After all that I must sound shallow and judgemental and I assure you I'm not, but I'm too tired to formulate a more elegant answer right now so this'll have to do. Clothes aren't everything but they make the difference between a common girl and lady.

ReputationRep:
    A hell of a lot.

(Original post by Profesh)
    A hell of a lot.
    yet its still the same body underneath..

None.

ReputationRep:
    In the long run I would say not too much but a nice set of togs can certainly bring out the best in someone :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Large large amount. Looking at any of Kate Winslet's older Ben de Lisi Oscar outfits and then look at that weird black PVC thing she wore once.

In terms of everyday clothes though, yes there is still a massive difference.

ReputationRep:
    It makes a big difference. That doesn't make me or anyone else who thinks that materialistic, it's just that seeing a girl who pays attention to herself for the right reasons says a lot about her as a person. A lot of you as an individual can be reflected in the way dress, converse, live etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    It makes a big difference. That doesn't make me or anyone else who thinks that materialistic, it's just that seeing a girl who pays attention to herself for the right reasons says a lot about her as a person. A lot of you as an individual can be reflected in the way dress, converse, live etc.
    but what if say they didn't care much for fashion but attended the gym and watched their health/diet? If a girl is not wearing clothes that other ones wear and is in say waterproof jacket jeans and trainers is simply says to me that shes not too bothered about fashion, maybe she has other interests. Whereas if I see a girl who obviously cares a lot about clothes (stylish, accessories etc) it would make me wonder if she has any other interests in life.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to know her well, then it might not become an issue. But in terms of getting to that stage, less likely if she dresses like a tramp. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    A lot :yep:

No clothes, f'in mindblowingly hot!
    Clothes on....not so much :dry:

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make a huge difference.

ReputationRep:
    I think so.
    A girl who is wearing too tight trousers that show off her builders brickie is hardly an attractive image.
    Same with a boy who is wearing those baggy grey track suit bottoms that make them look like they've escaped from fat camp.

Good fitting clothes and the right colour coordination enchance features and in turn make us more attractive.

ReputationRep:
    a lot

ReputationRep:
    I think the stage when it doesn't really matter as much about clothes is when you're in a committed long term relationship and clothing isn't usually such an important factor anymore as 'being dressed to impressed' is no longer needed.

At this point you're so comfortable with each other that you don't feel you have to make that much of an effort.

Obviously I only mean this in terms of like living together or something along those lines and not like going out etc...like rolling out of bed in the morning and knowing you'll still be loved despite looking a bit trampy as your partner loves you for who you are!

ReputationRep:
    So long as its not gravy stained t-shirts, its a-okay to lella_m.

Clothes make a lot of difference. If I see some guy in Jack Wills sweatpants and a gilet, I'ma walk straight past him. If he's dressed in something more awesome, I will notice. Like a suit, or Victorian-style clothes. I guess it's the same for girls.

ReputationRep:
    pretty massive difference.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a lot really. With guys, too much or too little effort is bad.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.