Turn on thread page Beta

How much difference do clothes make to attractiveness? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    yet its still the same body underneath..
    2006:

2010:

Good dress-sense bespeaks a healthy awareness of how one is perceived by the world at large. It also connotes sophistication and discernment, traits which tend to encompass and inform our less overt preferences (music, film, art, et cetera). This isn't to say that everyone should aspire to be a paragon of style, mind, but poor, slovenly or otherwise haphazard attire is at best a wasted opportunity, and at worst an admission of vice; almost anyone can afford to look aesthetically-pleasing (and in a manner befitting their personality) if they set their minds to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Quite a lot really. With guys, too much or too little effort is bad.
    Picky eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    How much more attractive would you say a girls clothes make her look if her figure is alright? Is there much difference between say jeans, trainers with t shirt.. and long top with tights/jeggings, boots? I doubt there is but it makes me wonder.
    often if a girl is well dressed it shows she is confident and cares about her appearance. I'm not saying she has to be in dresses and heels all the time but atleast her clothes should be clean and coordinated.
    It shouldn't be too ott because I used to wear a lot of accessories etc and my best guy friend said that it can be annoying especially when we snuggled to watch tv.
    As for guys, they too should make and effort but no so much that it becomes a pain and a competition!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Picky eh?
    Nothing worse than a guy who takes longer to get ready than you do :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Being well dressed is something I like in a partner, your clothes are an extention of your personality, they make the best of your features/body and can definatly affect a persons impression of someone. Its not the be all and end all by any means, but its a nice bonus.
    is the right answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Nothing worse than a guy who takes longer to get ready than you do :p:
    I guess not..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    It doesn't make a huge difference.
    NOoooooo, you changed your sig. . You had like the best one!

ReputationRep:
    The worse the better less competition and makes no difference naked maybe embarrassing to be seen around with this person but that is the only down side

ReputationRep:
    Quite a bit but maybe that's because people who dress well tend to be better groomed on the whole :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I think it makes more of a difference if you dress very differently from the norm. If your clothes identify you as part of a subculture (Goth, for instance) you're obviously going to get different reactions from different people. I know that's not really what you were asking, but you get my drift. Just throwing it out there...

ReputationRep:
    Yes no doubt but a girl's use of make-up is almost equally as important.

Tights/skinny jeans > Trackies/Pyjamas.
    Boots/heels/flats > Trainers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes!!
    Even colour of clothes makes a massive difference!
    If I wear light colours I look ill and horrible. It's medium and dark all the way for me

ReputationRep:
    Loads.

Your clothes say loads about you as a person and that communicates to the opposite sex even if it is subliminal.

ReputationRep:
    Their clothes are more important than their face.

When you look at a person you subconsciously put them into a category. There are all sorts of categories but an obvious one is class. If you dress very smartly and elegantly then people will think you are more m/class or wealthy than they would if you were wearing jeans and trainers. Why wouldn't they?
    There is also sporty, nerdy/into literature, fashionable, sexy.
    A face is just a face, and a body is just a body (unless its in the top or bottom ten percent on the attractiveness scale)

ReputationRep:
    I think that clothes are more important for men.Ladies, imagine this situation .
    You are beautiful, and you are looking for the perfect partner.You are pretentious - he must be attractive and rich, or at least, provides you security.You see someone and that you are very attracted to, but he is dressed like a homeless person.You won`t even bother talking to him because you will know you deserve better.

Now guys, imagine this .
    You are successful and you are looking for the perfect woman.She needs to be .... pretty and funny.You don`t need overambitious and successful woman, you need the ''trophy wife'' .You see a girl dressed very poorly, but you don`t care.You go talk to her, and you like her personality.Done !

So I proved clothes play bigger role for men

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I always notice the shoes girl are wearing They are very important to me.High heels are soo hot

ReputationRep:
    Some.

ReputationRep:
    Makes a massive difference...I mean I either look pretty good or awful depending on what I wear - I guess it makes just a big difference for girls.

ReputationRep:
    style makes a big difference.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.