Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this is a question from my chemistry mock, I'll provide any information needed, I need to know how to work this out - in case it's in my real GCSE tomorrow. So help would be greatly appreciated!

Oops - forgot the formula of the compound! it's Ca Cl2 O2
    Relative atomic masses:

Oxygen = 16, Chlorine = 35.5 Calcium = 40.

I already worked out that the relative atomic mass of calcium hypochlorite is 143.

The percentage by mass of chlorine in calcium hypochlorite works out to be: 49.7% - I worked that out too.

What I'm having difficulty with is:

They're asking me to calculate the mass of chlorine in a 20g tablet of calcium hypochlorite.

Can anyone shed light on how to do this?

ReputationRep:
    You've worked out that the 49.7% of the mass of calcium hypochlorite is due to chlorine. So the mass of chlorine in a 20 g sample is simply 49.7 % of 20 g

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I love you. Thank you so much! I have been near-tears over this question for hours, and you've solved it for me in less than 5 minutes! I'm going to rep you, if I can!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome . Good luck with your exam tomorrow.

EDIT: Lol you actually neg repped me but don't worry about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 17, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.