1.70%
    2.72%
    22 or older
    2.72%
    Haven't passed yet / don't drive
    18.37%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen_Pinky)
    I started learning at 17, then stopped for a long while and took it up again at 18. Passed the month before I turned 19!
    That sounds kinda like me. I started having lessons last year at 17, then stopped after five months cos I was kinda bad at it lol, and wanting to concentrate on some other stuff. I haven't driven since July, hopefully I will be able to get back into it this year and pass before I turn 19 in October

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pritnep)
    * 16, for theory test (Driver Knowledge Test) a computer based multiple choice test which tests basic road rules and actions you might take.
    * On my Learners license for about 6 months (completed 80 logged hours) then completed my Provisional License test (Red P's) at 17. A practical driving test that included - 3 point turn, u turn, hill start, reverse park, right hand turn at lights.
    * Completed the Hazard Perception Test at 18 (Green P's). Another computer test which showed real video of real life driving situations and you had to touch the screen when you would turn, to identify a hazard, or slow down.
    * At 20 completed another computer test which was a combination of driver knowledge and hazard perception. Achieving my full unrestricted license.

Our learning to drive system seems very different.
    :facepalm: I guess should have added a poll option for 16, I forgot about the international users, never mind sorry, thanks for your answer though :o:

ReputationRep:
    failed theory first time then I nailed it and got 3 minors in my practical

ReputationRep:
    Started lessons onmy 17th birthday, passed by my 14th lesson. Currently 17 and 7 months

ReputationRep:
    I passed my theory at 17 just after starting lessons but didnt pass practical till 18 cuz i was too lazy to get round to getting my provisional so started lessons at like 17 1/2. Passed first time for both tho

ReputationRep:
    Car 17
    Bike 17

ReputationRep:
    passed my theory second time and my practical first time - both at 17

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Passed both tests first time aged 17 :woo:
    Same

ReputationRep:
    Passed 1 day after my 17th birthday.

ReputationRep:
    I passed both the theory and practical tests on my first attempt, aged eighteen.

ReputationRep:
    None of the above. I was sixteen!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 and will be doing my theory test quite soon, but I'm nowhere near 'test standard' for the practical! So I'm expecting to pass the theory at 18 and hoping to pass the practical at 19 (got until September 2011 to pass the practical before age 20 ). Started learning at 17 and 10 months, so been going for 6 months but haven't enjoyed most of my lessons and my instructor still sometimes has to use his dual controls so I can't really go out practising in my mum and dad's car. But I won't give up as here in Norfolk it's pretty essential to be able to drive as the public transport is crap.

I'm envious of people who pass within weeks or a few months of starting lessons, but at least I'll have plenty of experience before I take my test. My main problem is spatial awareness; once I've got that sorted I'll be well on the way I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I guess should have added a poll option for 16, I forgot about the international users, never mind sorry, thanks for your answer though
    That's ok, most of the users answering would be from the UK and I assumed that's what you wanted the answers for. I just wanted to explain the difference in the system and stages it took me to be a full license holder here.

ReputationRep:
    I was 18 when I started lessons, 18 when I passed my theory (first attempt), and 18 when I passed my practical (again first attempt).

ReputationRep:
    I started lessons as soon as I turned 17 but gave up after a few months because a. my instructor was crap and wrecked my confidence and b. I couldn't afford lessons at that time.

I started learning again just before I turned 21 and passed when I was 21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Passed both tests first time aged 17 :woo:
    me tooo :woo:

ReputationRep:
    i passed two months after my 17th birthday. : )

ReputationRep:
    On my 18th birthday (only cancelation they had!)

ReputationRep:
    I was 18 iirc.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Passed my theory test at 17 and if all goes to plan on Wednesday, I'll have passed my practical test at 17 too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 15, 2010
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.