Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

United Arab Emirates Royalty; Double Standards Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Royalty get special exceptions when it comes to criminal offences?
    Yes
    25.00%
    No
    75.00%

ReputationRep:
    This is not an Anti-Islam but rather, an anti-royalty thread. Ok many of you may heard of this story:

(Original post by Telegraph)
    A 23-year-old British woman on holiday in Dubai told police she had been raped, only to be arrested herself for having illegal sexual intercourse. The woman, a Muslim of Pakistani descent, was celebrating her engagement to her 44-year-old boyfriend, and was allegedly attacked when she passed out in a hotel lavatory.
    But, for some reason a similar case (not the criminal offence, but what she’s being charged for) was swept under the carpet.

(Original post by Economist)
    Sheikh Issa bin Zayed al-Nahyan, the Abu Dhabi prince, was acquitted on the ground of diminished responsibility. The court accepted his defence that he had been drugged by erstwhile business partners, a couple of Lebanese-American brothers, so apparently he could not be held accountable for his actions. Those partners, who leaked a video of the attack to an American television network, were given jail sentences in absentia. Sheikh Issa is a half-brother of the UAE’s president, Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al-Nahyan.
    Discuss...

ReputationRep:
    Poll added

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    This is not an Anti-Islam but rather, an anti-royalty thread. Ok many of you may heard of this story:

But, for some reason a similar case (not the criminal offence, but what she’s being charged for) was swept under the carpet.

Discuss...
    Hmm, maybe if the women said she was drugged than the story might be double standards.

P.S. Also, lol that happens over here. In a sense if a rich person goes to jail they will be put in special prison. Also, in other countries like Thai land you can just buy your way out of prison, so lol. Anyway, this happens a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Hmm, maybe if the women said she was drugged than the story might be double standards.
    She was drunk, he was drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showermo)
    She was drunk, he was drunk.
    Yes, but he says he was drugged? Hence, he didn't really break the drinking law if he was drugged.

ReputationRep:

P.S. Also, lol that happens over here. In a sense if a rich person goes to jail they will be put in special prison. Also, in other countries like Thai land you can just buy your way out of prison, so lol. Anyway, this happens a lot.
    What the person above me said.

ReputationRep:
    The rulers will do pretty much what they want to do and get away with it.
    The thing is, it's not like they're doing it secretively and trying to catch people out for mistakes they didn't know they were making....the UAE has made it pretty clear to the world what sort of behaviour is and isn't expected of them and seeing as it is a major tourism hub now the regional laws are brought to everybody's attention pretty clearly.

Now the rape case is obviously injustice, but that's a risk you've got to take if you want to go there. I could get put in jail if I go there and write a cheque that bounces...so yeah even the little things there you get punished for. It's the name of the game :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but he says he was drugged? Hence, he didn't really break the drinking law if he was drugged.
    Oh come on, your not buying that crap are you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    The rulers will do pretty much what they want to do and get away with it.
    The thing is, it's not like they're doing it secretively and trying to catch people out for mistakes they didn't know they were making....the UAE has made it pretty clear to the world what sort of behaviour is and isn't expected of them and seeing as it is a major tourism hub now the regional laws are brought to everybody's attention pretty clearly.

Now the rape case is obviously injustice, but that's a risk you've got to take if you want to go there. I could get put in jail if I go there and write a cheque that bounces...so yeah even the little things there you get punished for. It's the name of the game :dontknow:
    Well, they seem a bit harsh on crime. But, then everyone says we are soft of crime, so thats double standards.

Hmm, well. She did break the drinking law, and didn't have an excuse like being drugged. So, yeah if you going to be hard on crime you would have to send her to jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by showermo)
    Oh come on, your not buying that crap are you.
    Well, given the information I have infront, note lack of links. From that and bayesian statistics I say its about 50/50.

Anyway, whats the evidence he wasen't drugged?

ReputationRep:
    Well, given the information I have infront, note lack of links. From that and bayesian statistics I say its about 50/50.

Anyway, whats the evidence he wasen't drugged?
    Alochol is a drug, all it takes is nice wording.

Here is the link:http://www.economist.com/world/middl...ry_id=15271268

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.