Turn on thread page Beta

My fitness plan.. please pick faults with it! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, ok I will have finished my exams for January on Friday this week and I want to get ripped and toned for the summer holidays.. to Zante so this is what I am wanting to do .. please pick faults with it.. like point out where i am doing too much of one thing etc..

Just a few things about me.. I am quite short so i need to do quite a bit of cardio as I put weight on really easily, and I already go to the gym 3 times a week and do weights for the last year and a half now so I know what im doing in regard to some aspects but I just want some opinions Oh and I have also ran many 10k runs including a half marathon last year.. and i have entered the great north run this year so that if why so much running, as i will build up the miles over the course of the year to half marathon level, but this is just a start.

Monday: Running: Slow Jog 5-10K
    Tuesday: Swimming - 1 hour
    Wednesday: Gym - Chest & Arms & Abs
    Thursday: Running - Speed Work 5K (roughly)
    Friday: Gym - Shoulder & Back & Abs
    Saturday: Swimming - 1 hour
    Sunday: Running - 10K + biceps and shoulders using free weights at home

that is my weekly plan.. and below is what i have been doing at the gym and what my gym sessions on a wednesday and friday will look like as i said this is working for my so far i just want opinions

Chest
    50 Press ups
    4 sets of 8 reps - Flat bench press
    4 sets of 8 reps - Incline bench press
    4 sets of 8 reps - Decline bench press
    4 sets of 8 reps - Dumbbell Bench Press
    4 sets of 8 reps - Pec deck machine
    4 sets of 8 reps - Cable crossovers

Biceps & Triceps
    4 sets of 8 reps - Bicep curls
    4 sets of 8 reps - Concentration bicep curls

4 sets of 8 reps - Hammer curls
    4 sets of 8 reps - Push downs with rope
    4 sets of 8 reps - Skull crushers
    3 sets of - 10 Parallel dips
    3 sets of - 21’s (barbell)

Shoulders and Traps
    4 sets of 8 reps - Arnold press
    4 sets of 8 reps - Dumbbell shoulder press
    4 sets of 8 reps - Barbell Raise
    4 sets of 8 reps - Lateral Raises
    4 sets of 8 reps - Front raises
    3 sets of - 2 Trap exercises

Back
    3 - Failure - Pull ups
    4 sets of 8 reps - One arm row
    4 sets of 8 reps - Lat pull downs
    4 sets of 8 reps - T bar rows

Abs
    3 – 15 Captains armchair
    3 – 20 Ab Coaster
    3 – 20 Weighted sit up
    3 (on each side) – 10 Torso Rotation
    1 minute – Plank
    60 – Russian twists

Any advice of what i am not doing enough of and too much of is welcome!

Just a note: I am not working my legs at the gym because of my running .. as i do quite long distance it would defeat the object as they would counter each other!

ReputationRep:
    I would be knackered after a week of doing a workout routine like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesdavis)
    I already go to the gym 3 times a week and do weights for the last year and a half now so I know what im doing in regard to some aspects
    That old chestnut.

-Silly amount of volume for a beginner
    -Silly amount of arm work
    -Neglected legs
    -Neglected lower back
    -Disproportionate amount of anterior work compared to posterior

Read some decent training books and in the meantime follow something tried and tested like Westside for Skinny *******s, Starting Strength, etc.

Just a note: I am not working my legs at the gym because of my running .. as i do quite long distance it would defeat the object as they would counter each other!
    Why of course, competitive or even elite runners only ever train their lower body through running...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You need some rest lol !!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ch0c0h01ic]That old chestnut.

-Neglected legs
    -Neglected lower back

i certainly second this
    these are the fundamental excersises (deadlifts,squats military press,bench,reverse hypers etc and will all help with you running and cardio work 2) for CORE dont focus as much on abs do everything in proportion it will boost ur overall strength and overall fitness and mass
    Do not over do a muscle group you should be able to do it again after 3 days minimum

ReputationRep:
    Imo, you should leave at least one day in your week for R&R, and yeah, do some leg workouts.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ch0c0h01ic]That old chestnut.

-Neglected legs
    -Neglected lower back

i certainly second this
    these are the fundamental excersises (deadlifts,squats military press,bench,reverse hypers etc and will all help with you running and cardio work 2) for CORE dont focus as much on abs do everything in proportion it will boost ur overall strength and overall fitness and mass
    Do not over do a muscle group you should be able to do it again after 3 days minimum
    and lastly only take advice from people who you look up to not scrawny people who work at your gym etc talk to the professionals
    im just liek you im still learning but always take advice form the right people
    dont do too many isolation excersises or machines either you need to do compound strength excersises like pull ups squats etc to really get your full potential flowing

ReputationRep:
    What are you trying to achieve? More stamina or muscle gain/maintainance??? If you want to build stamina, get at least two more runs in there, one on wednesday and one on friday, maybe you could run to the gym and back after your weights session? Keep the swimming in there, its good for cardio fitness and upper body strength and definition if you do front crawl.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, too much work, not enough rest. Sounds great if you can do it, but i very much doubt you can keep up a work out so intense for very long.

ReputationRep:
    keep us updated on the swoleness.

ReputationRep:
    I already go to the gym 3 times a week and do weights for the last year and a half now so I know what im doing in regard to some aspects
    You clearly don't. That work load is ridiculous. You need to cut the whole workload in half at a minimum clearly you can up your weights on everything you do if you can complete your current workout within 40-50 minutes and why do you have to isolate all of your muscles? just do compound exercises but keep a higher ratio of weights to cardio
    If you still think that you need all of the exercises then maybe full body workouts to split the amount in one session because you can't be trying hard enough if you can lift all of that under an hour

ReputationRep:
    Because having swole pecs and t-shirt guns will well help you as a long distance runner haha!

ReputationRep:
    OK cheers guys for the advice.. I kept that workout up last time for 4 months solid.. and i got great results fitness and looking wise.. so there is no problem with rest but cheers for your worries .. also RawJoh1 .. i enjoy long distance running as it clears my mind, i want to have a dominant chest upper body structure but the only reason that i run is for pleasure and to keep fitness up and not competitively .. my friend who is now in the Royal Marines was, a year ago, 6th in the UK for 1500m in the country and was close to being chosen to be in Beijing Olympics.. he used to do alot of running along with upper body work and no legs at all or back work at the gym.. the result was him being ripped and he was one of the top runners in the country.. and he used to go to the gym to lift weights twice a day sometimes and sometimes even go swimming after that, so I know for a fact that it is possible to do that much exercise..

Cheers for the advice though.

ReputationRep:
    So you ask for people to pick faults with your workout then do not listen to a word of advice because you know better than everyone else, you fail and should not be allowed in a gym. You have way too much volume and do not train legs, the only excuse for not training legs is if you have none, you sir are a pussy that is why you do not train legs. I bet you are the swolest mofo in your gym...

ReputationRep:
    OK cheers guys for the advice.. I kept that workout up last time for 4 months solid.. and i got great results fitness and looking wise.. so there is no problem with rest but cheers for your worries
    Like what?

How much stronger are you?

How much muscle did you put on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    So you ask for people to pick faults with your workout then do not listen to a word of advice because you know better than everyone else, you fail and should not be allowed in a gym. You have way too much volume and do not train legs, the only excuse for not training legs is if you have none, you sir are a pussy that is why you do not train legs. I bet you are the swolest mofo in your gym...
    Nah i am listening to them.. i am going to include more lower back, core and legs into my schedule and also reduce some of my upper body exercises and see how i cope and if i am struggling then include a rest day or 2 as well into my plan .. when criticism is contructive i will listen.. but when it is plain rude, then i will take heed but i will also state why i am or why i am not doing certain things.. i asked for advice not abuse and that is why I did "not listen to a word of advice"

and ch0c0h01ic last time i did that plan i ran a 10k in under 39 minutues and before the plan my fastest time previously was 46.. i also ran my first half marathon in 1 hour and 41 minutes, after upping my running after a few months, which considering it was my first time at that distance and i messed up by going too slow at the start and basically sprinting at the end, i think was quite a good time, one of the reasons i do weights is to make sure that i do not look like rake.. and therefore i want a generally larger upper body, which is why i have not been including core work, as important as it is! I am going to start doing more varied exercises in relation to back, legs and core.

Thank you.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.