Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Rich Lists - Inspiring or Depressing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Times Rich List Britain & Ireland 2009

Forbes World Rich List

Some incredible achievements and mind boggling sums of wealth, is it inspiring or depressing? Either way it makes interesting reading.

ReputationRep:
    Since Number 3 inherited his wealth (we all love those who made their fortunes -Sir Philip Green etc) I say tax him to the hilt - a lot of it is property in the UK. Tough times call for easy measures!

ReputationRep:
    Neither inspiring or depressing for me. Shows you what can be acheived though and pretty interesting to see who is who in the fatcat world.

ReputationRep:
    I find it inspiring, it's very rare I view things as depressing. You can put a positive spin on most 'bad' things so why choose to do otherwise? just serves to make you feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    It inspires me for about twenty minutes then just depresses me lol

ReputationRep:
    Lakshmi Mittal and family, worth £10,800m, lost £16,900m during the recession. The bigger they are...

ReputationRep:
    Neither, i just don't care.

Some people are really rich. Some people arn't. There are always going to be people with alot more money than me, and many with alot less.

I figure i might as well just get on with my life than longing after someone else's.

ReputationRep:
    inspiring, especially when you read up on some of their stories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Since Number 3 inherited his wealth (we all love those who made their fortunes -Sir Philip Green etc) I say tax him to the hilt - a lot of it is property in the UK. Tough times call for easy measures!
    yeah, his parents may have worked all their lives and spent none of it so that he could inherit it, but dammit, we have a right to steal his money considering we do not approve of the way he got it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    Neither, i just don't care.

Some people are really rich. Some people arn't. There are always going to be people with alot more money than me, and many with alot less.

I figure i might as well just get on with my life than longing after someone else's.
    this
    not everything has to inspire an extreme emotion in me. some things just are.

ReputationRep:
    Very depressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    yeah, his parents may have worked all their lives and spent none of it so that he could inherit it, but dammit, we have a right to steal his money considering we do not approve of the way he got it!
    Are you being sarcastic (it's not obvious)? Because faced with increasing taxes on the Duke of Westminister, or thousands of folk on low wages, I know which decision I'd make. One makes no difference, the other....

(Original post by Trouser Snake)
    Times Rich List Britain & Ireland 2009

Forbes World Rich List

Some incredible achievements and mind boggling sums of wealth, is it inspiring or depressing? Either way it makes interesting reading.
    Trying to start your company and make it onto the list, are we?

ReputationRep:
    I find them pointless. I really don't give a damn how much money some fat cats have in their bank accounts - the only thing I'm interested in is how much money is in my bank account.

ReputationRep:
    The richest out of all of them, is really the King of Saudi, and probably the rest of the kings who rule the gulf states, but they prefer to keep it undercover

Am not sure why it would inspire me or depress me! because I wouldn't want to be that rich, few millions would do me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Trying to start your company and make it onto the list, are we?
    Not really, I would be quite complacent with a couple of hundred million, a billion+ is just dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    I find them pointless. I really don't give a damn how much money some fat cats have in their bank accounts - the only thing I'm interested in is how much money is in my bank account.
    I'm more interested in the stories of how they managed to get where they are than what's in their wallet.

ReputationRep:
    The ones that have made their own money are definitely inspiring, those that inherit their wealth and Gulf Sheikhs that are only rich due to the luck that they live over massive deposits of oil, less so.

ReputationRep:
    yep, neither inspiring nor depressing for me too...just interesting

ReputationRep:
    It's surprising how many are university drop-outs.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.