Which one is more expensive Ethene or Chlorothane? Watch

Orihime
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Making ethylbenzene from benzene uses chloroethane or ethene, why is ethene more prefered?

I first thought it was production of HCl makes Chloroethane less prefered but then I thought it was cost.... can someone help me I'm confused /
Kyri
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not sure if this is the answer they're looking for, but a quick google search tells me that the commercial production of chloroethane is by the reaction of ethene with HCl over an aluminium catalyst. This is obviously an extra synthetic step over simply reacting ethene with benzene and hence will cost more money.
charco
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Orihime)
Making ethylbenzene from benzene uses chloroethane or ethene, why is ethene more prefered?

I first thought it was production of HCl makes Chloroethane less prefered but then I thought it was cost.... can someone help me I'm confused /
Ethene is a direct product from the petrochemicals industry cracking process. It has to be cheaper for that reason.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (495)
91.16%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.84%

Watched Threads