Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend and money watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a spoilt person and I don't need someone to buy me things all the time. But my boyfriend is really tight with money and it's starting to annoy me. He has a good job so he has a decent amount of money coming in each week, he has to spend a large amount of it on his car insurance each month, tax and petrol etc and he also pays his parents £10 a week rent. This still leaves a decent amount of money left over but he just won't spend it!
    We agreed that we weren't going out and doing enough together so I suggested that we go out for meals or go to the cinema more often which he thought was a great idea. But whenever I suggest it he always says "I don't have the money" and then if I ask why he just goes into a huge rant about all the stuff he needs to buy for his flipping car and it's just not worth me even asking.
    I don't have much money because I'm a student but I just don't worry about money all the time! I'm sensible and I don't get into debt but I'm not tight with my money and I'm not afraid to spend it! This may not be such a huge problem now but we hope to move in together soon and I just think that this problem is going to get worse once we start doing food shopping together etc.
    I don't want him to buy me really expensive things, but sometimes it would be nice if he took me to the cinema or bought me lunch or flowers. I'm quite traditional in my views and think it's nice when the guy pays for things. Like the other day we were at the pub and I asked him to get me a coke so he asked me for the money for it. My friend said "you won't even buy your girlfriend a coke!?"

Am I being really petty with this? What can I do to make him loosen his purse strings a little!?

ReputationRep:
    id buy you a coke but maybe he is genuinely skint? your maths might not add up properly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh you're expecting too much. He's your bf, not your bank.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job? Invite him out to the cinema, offer to pay, if he doesn't go at least halves then come back here.

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't got a job yourself, then get one..

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you're not making selfish demands eg wanting him to buy you expensive presents. He seems reallllyy tight and you should tell him so honestly. If my boyfriend made me pay for a drink I would tell him where to go. And I would never ask him to pay mee back if I bought him a drink.
    Anyways just be honest with him and kindly tell him how you feel. You have different attitudes on money whch would make moving in together veryyy difficult! X

ReputationRep:
    i hate people that hate to spend their money, its really annoys me, i same as you don't have a great deal of money to play with, but with what i have im certainly not afraid to spend it :P and buying a coke or going to the cinema is hardly going to put him deep into the red.

If he's like that now, its only going to escalate to a point where you end up spending more money on furnishings, and food etc you like, while he spends the bare minimum on stuff. I wouldn't like to have to live with someone like that, it would be like living as a pauper.

But i don't know him, so i shouldn't be so righteous. Hope everything works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by azn-wonder91)
    Tbh you're not making selfish demands eg wanting him to buy you expensive presents. He seems reallllyy tight and you should tell him so honestly. If my boyfriend made me pay for a drink I would tell him where to go. And I would never ask him to pay mee back if I bought him a drink.
    Anyways just be honest with him and kindly tell him how you feel. You have different attitudes on money whch would make moving in together veryyy difficult! X
    If he offered to pay a nose job for you, would you pay him back?

ReputationRep:
    What car has he got?
    Some people like saving money, or spending it on the things they love.
    ie for him its his car and for you might be shoes.
    I reckon it will get better for you, just depends if hes got the modding bug and its a never ending obsession.

Id be annoyed with your friend though. If someone asked me to buy them a drink id be like wtf? If i offered one thats ok but being asked to buy one is annoying.
    Maybe one time your out he buys the drinks and the next time you buy them?

ReputationRep:
    i) Maybe he is actually saving up, so you can actually afford to live together.
    ii) Women should pay there way too otherwise how is that fair on us?

ReputationRep:
    Love all the guy replies in here :rolleyes: lol.

Hmmm, maybe he's saving up for something? Maybe he really is on the breadline. Do you know for sure that he has any disposable income left after he's paid rent/car stuff?

But yeah, not buying you a coke is waaaay stingy. My bf pays for pretty much everything, even when I offer. Sometimes that get frustrating, when he refuses to let me pay for something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I don't want him to buy me really expensive things, but sometimes it would be nice if he took me to the cinema or bought me lunch or flowers. I'm quite traditional in my views and think it's nice when the guy pays for things.

i can see why he doesnt want to go out, why the hell should he pay for you? pay for your self :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    If he offered to pay a nose job for you, would you pay him back?
    is this supposed to be funny or offensive or something? Explain.

ReputationRep:
    is his supposed to be funny or offensive or something? Explain.
    Both really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shivvling)
    Yeh you're expecting too much. He's your bf, not your bank.

:yes: this

ReputationRep:
    Both really.
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying I have a big nose? And if so then how is that related to what I posted?
    Don't be so vague. You made a stupid remark so atleast man up and elaborate.

ReputationRep:
    If he has a decent car, you probably won't win the money battle. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying I have a big nose? And if so then how is that related to what I posted?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Hahaha you are so pathetic. Making stupid remarks on someone's LOOKS when they've not even said anything to you. Get a life you imbecile

ReputationRep:
    Wow what a **** lol ignore him , aha i saw ur nose after his comment and thought wish i had a nose like that! aha (not coz im pervy buh yeah i want a nose job lol)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.