Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You should like it when he pays for things but you shouldn't expect it.

ReputationRep:
    lol women, all they think about is how to lick you dry.

ReputationRep:
    Give and take, buy him some drink.
    But I cannot stand men like that, he sounds just like my stepdad.

Money isn't everything, it's the gesture that count.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    He made you pay for your own drink!? I would get rid of him. Asap!!
    Don't. Be such. A whore.

Honestly we'd have to know more about the situation - When I was working on my car there was a period of about two months when I was absolutely skint in all other aspects of my life - because there were certain things I simply had to get done over the summer, it being practically impossible to work outside in winter where I lived back then.

In the relationship you should both make the effort to pay for things sometimes. I can't stand girls that expect guys to pay for everything when they're out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHkuHy39eA
    ^the message :p:

ReputationRep:
    why should he pay for your coke? I don't get stuff like this. when you say he won't go out, will he not even pay his own way or are you expecting him to take you to the cinema and pay for both of you? if not, and he is literally completely tight - I can imagine that being boring, but if he just won't pay for YOU then you need to sort yourself out.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a girl and I'm not going to take the stance most of the people on here saying that your boyfriend should treat you and pay for everything... Because he shouldn't.

My boyfriend also has a good job (compared to me, a student), but he doesn't pay for everything I do and I'd never expect him to. Instead we take it in turns, for instance I'll pay for the drinks at the pub and then he'll buy us both a takeaway the next day or something like that. One of us will pay for a meal, one of us will pay for the cinema. Etc.

Then when he does treat me or surprise me or offer to pay for something it's not because I've nagged him or made him feel like he has a duty to, and we both get to feel good about it.

You know what they say about men who lavish too many gifts on their girlfriends anyway.. They're trying to cover up for other mistakes they know they'll make (divert the attention from lies etc.) as women are clearly suckers for being treated and spoilt.

I'd much rather be with a man who is careful with his money anyway and doesn't spend away, as in the long-term (especially as you say you're moving in with him) you know he will be sensible and have money saved away instead of getting you into debt.
    Of course, there's a line between being careful and being genuinely tight with money, you'd naturally expect him to want to treat you once in a while and you'd also expect things like the food shopping you mentioned to be split evenly between you with no excuses.

However, you need to ask yourself whether you're just comparing your man to the expectations you have from listening to other people go on about how their boyfriends spoil them rotten... This doesn't make for a perfect relationship at all. There are much more important qualities in a person than how tight they are with money, it's a better thing than spending it all and having none in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am a guy, and I ,quite the contrary to the girl above , think that guys MUST pay when they go out with their girlfriends.Of course, it is not fatal when he doesnt have money at the moment, but ,in general, just as I believe men should provide the money in the family, they must pay for the drinks,meals,cinema etc.Last summer, I had to spend about 10$ per day when going out with my GF to the Cafe, about 30$ when going to the cinema, and no less than 60$ when going to a night club.There were days in which I spent a total of 100$ ,rarely though.I spent about 15$ on average.Bear in mind that movies,clubs, and meals are considered VERY cheap compared to the prices in UK .

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't necessarily expect him to pay for both of you everytime you go out, but not getting you a soft drink is stupidly tight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Don't. Be such. A whore.

Honestly we'd have to know more about the situation - When I was working on my car there was a period of about two months when I was absolutely skint in all other aspects of my life - because there were certain things I simply had to get done over the summer, it being practically impossible to work outside in winter where I lived back then.

In the relationship you should both make the effort to pay for things sometimes. I can't stand girls that expect guys to pay for everything when they're out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqHkuHy39eA
    ^the message :p:
    I pay my way, but to ask someone to pay for a DRINK! Even if it was the other way round and she asked him for money for a COKE I'd be shocked!

Geez, don't be so uptight.

ReputationRep:
    <clears through> "My friends got a girlfriend and he hates that *****, he tells me every day, he's says man I really got to loose my ***** in the worst kind of way, she sits on her ass he works his hands to the bone, to give her money every pay day, but she wants Montinairo just to stay at home, well my friend, you've got to say..."I won't give you no money, nooo waaaaay, nana why don't you get a JOB!""

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I'm not a spoilt person and I don't need someone to buy me things all the time. But my boyfriend is really tight with money and it's starting to annoy me. He has a good job so he has a decent amount of money coming in each week, he has to spend a large amount of it on his car insurance each month, tax and petrol etc and he also pays his parents £10 a week rent. This still leaves a decent amount of money left over but he just won't spend it!
    We agreed that we weren't going out and doing enough together so I suggested that we go out for meals or go to the cinema more often which he thought was a great idea. But whenever I suggest it he always says "I don't have the money" and then if I ask why he just goes into a huge rant about all the stuff he needs to buy for his flipping car and it's just not worth me even asking.
    I don't have much money because I'm a student but I just don't worry about money all the time! I'm sensible and I don't get into debt but I'm not tight with my money and I'm not afraid to spend it! This may not be such a huge problem now but we hope to move in together soon and I just think that this problem is going to get worse once we start doing food shopping together etc.
    I don't want him to buy me really expensive things, but sometimes it would be nice if he took me to the cinema or bought me lunch or flowers. I'm quite traditional in my views and think it's nice when the guy pays for things. Like the other day we were at the pub and I asked him to get me a coke so he asked me for the money for it. My friend said "you won't even buy your girlfriend a coke!?"

Am I being really petty with this? What can I do to make him loosen his purse strings a little!?

i can see your point, im really traditional too, my boyfriend does genuinely pay for dates and stuff, but so do i. it is really nice to get treated by your boyfriend but first you need to find a balance. like you go out for a meal or to the cinema, and you pay for yourselves. and then later move onto if you pay for the cinema this time round, he can pay for the next one. but he obv has to agree to it. so you need to be able to treat him and he can treat you too.

ReputationRep:
    Right here goes... I don’t have a job as the one I had was for summer only and I haven’t been able to find one since, there are so few jobs going where I live. I have a guaranteed job back in my summer job in March. But I still have enough money left over from working and I get EMA which helps.

I never said that I wanted him to pay for both of us if we go out, I just want him to pay for himself, I'm more than happy to pay for myself. But still he's like "No I haven't got the money". Sometimes I just pay for both of us because I want to go out and have a nice time and I'm generous with my money. I'll occasionally buy him lunch or pay for us to go out somewhere. But I've stopped doing this now because I wasn't getting anything in return. It would be lovely if he would treat me sometimes, not all the time. I'm not asking for him to be constantly taking me out and buying me things and never letting me pay but I think that the guy should pay sometimes!!!

The coke thing is stupid, I would love it if he just said "I'll get it for you" instead of "where's your purse". I was actually quite embarrassed when my friend said "you won't even buy her a coke?". No I'm not treating him like my bank. I'm not asking for a lot here! A coke is like £2and it costs like £10 to go to the cinema if he just pays for himself.

He has a ford focus, not a big expensive car. He had a huge rant about how he skidded on black ice and then hit the curb so he had to spend ALL his money getting the wheels realligned bla bla bla. It's a car for f's sake and I know that he still has enough of money left over each week to pay for a cinema ticket!

A friend of ours bought his girlfriend a pair of £100 shoes for her birthday and they've only been together for a month. I think this is excessive and I would never expect anything like that so I don't think I'm treating him like my bank and expecting presents all the time like some spoilt child.

His salary goes up next year, he won't have to pay his parents rent and we will live closer to where he works so he won't have to spend loads of money on petrol which is how I think we will manage moving in together.

And to whoever asked, yes we do have sex a lot lol x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    He made you pay for your own drink!? I would get rid of him. Asap!!
    i hope that you are being sarcastic.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    lol wut?

as if her nose is big, her eyes are big yes but her nose, LOL i think maybe you are looking in the mirror and mistaking it for your own nose
    Calm down you insecure *****.

I was drunk and unfortunately happened to be on TSR, she looks very pretty :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieArun)
    Calm down you insecure *****.

I was drunk and unfortunately happened to be on TSR, she looks very pretty :yep:
    LOL im not insecure

ReputationRep:
    If you are offering to go halves and he still wont go out he is being far too tight, some guys just think they have to pay for everything though so don't want to go out.

Is it possible he thinks if you go out to the cinema he will have to be the gent and pay for you too, but he doesn't want to spend that much..? Maybe he will go halves if he knows thats what you mean

Otherwise, tell him he's a meanie

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you both got an unlimited card for whatever cinema is near you, then you could go whenever you want and money isn't an excuse. Or find something free to do...

ReputationRep:
    I bet his car is ****. Sounds like your typical council estate ricer.

ReputationRep:
    If he's paying for his stuff, why can't you pay for yours?

His money is his own, he shouldn't have to buy you ****.

ReputationRep:
    Be happy it's that way. Please. You don't want him spending his money everywhere.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.