Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    LOL im not insecure
    LOL You should be....

ReputationRep:
    Wow your boyfriends worse than mine!
    Poor you, maybe he is saving up for something important? like somewhere to live etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I'm not a spoilt person and I don't need someone to buy me things all the time. But my boyfriend is really tight with money and it's starting to annoy me. He has a good job so he has a decent amount of money coming in each week, he has to spend a large amount of it on his car insurance each month, tax and petrol etc and he also pays his parents £10 a week rent. This still leaves a decent amount of money left over but he just won't spend it!
    We agreed that we weren't going out and doing enough together so I suggested that we go out for meals or go to the cinema more often which he thought was a great idea. But whenever I suggest it he always says "I don't have the money" and then if I ask why he just goes into a huge rant about all the stuff he needs to buy for his flipping car and it's just not worth me even asking.
    I don't have much money because I'm a student but I just don't worry about money all the time! I'm sensible and I don't get into debt but I'm not tight with my money and I'm not afraid to spend it! This may not be such a huge problem now but we hope to move in together soon and I just think that this problem is going to get worse once we start doing food shopping together etc.
    I don't want him to buy me really expensive things, but sometimes it would be nice if he took me to the cinema or bought me lunch or flowers. I'm quite traditional in my views and think it's nice when the guy pays for things. Like the other day we were at the pub and I asked him to get me a coke so he asked me for the money for it. My friend said "you won't even buy your girlfriend a coke!?"

Am I being really petty with this? What can I do to make him loosen his purse strings a little!?

my boyfriend has no money and so i pay for everything, i have even bought my own birthday and christmas presents and then he has paid me back!! i expect nothing from him but when he does have money he doesn't take me out and say thanks for paying for everything, he buys something stupid and irrelevant that he doesn't need so i kinda know how you feel.

just talk to him and go out on orange wednesday so he only feels like he's paying for himself and it'll make him feel better.

he might feel a bit like me in that he may feel he pays for everything, even if he doesn't so just make sure you occasionally take him out or go halves.

good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord_Farquad)
    LOL You should be....

nah theres no need to be

ReputationRep:
    Open your legs more often

He has a ford focus, not a big expensive car. He had a huge rant about how he skidded on black ice and then hit the curb so he had to spend ALL his money getting the wheels realligned bla bla bla. It's a car for f's sake
    Yeah, 'cause it wouldn't be dangerous at all for him to be driving around in a car with screwed up steering, possibly damaged suspension, etcetera that can lead to a massive accident.

A "big expensive car" is exactly the type of car that usually doesn't need money spending on it. A tatty cheap one or one that was recently involved in a mild accident does.

The other stuff fine, but him making sure his car is road worthy is pretty important.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=stinky--pete]just talk to him and go out on orange wednesday so he only feels like he's paying for himself and it'll make him feel better. QUOTE]
    Orange Wednesdays is a good idea but we only see each other at weekends so we wouldn't be able to go unless it was in the holidays. I just like going out and doing things occasionally. Most of the time I'm happy to just go out for a walk because it's free and it's nice to spend time together out of the house. But I love going to the cinema and going for a meal sometimes and we hardly ever do!

His car is nice, no he doesn't live in a council estate and yes I understand that he needed the work done on his car I just don't like hearing him rant about it for half an hour when he says he has no money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiechantel)
    Wow your boyfriends worse than mine!
    Poor you, maybe he is saving up for something important? like somewhere to live etc?
    I'd like to think he was saving up for something important like living together but I just don't think he is, unless he's trying to surprise me with something- which I doubt. His Mum hinted to me that he was saving for an engagement ring but I know he's not.
    He got one of those money pots for christmas where you put the money in but you can't get it out again until it's full up and you smash it. He's saving money in that but if I ask him what it's for he will probably just say car tax. Joy.
    I have a car and I save up money to pay for it but it's all he ever bloody goes on about!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a spoilt person and I don't need someone to buy me things all the time. But my boyfriend is really tight with money and it's starting to annoy me. He has a good job so he has a decent amount of money coming in each week, he has to spend a large amount of it on his car insurance each month, tax and petrol etc and he also pays his parents £10 a week rent. This still leaves a decent amount of money left over but he just won't spend it!
    We agreed that we weren't going out and doing enough together so I suggested that we go out for meals or go to the cinema more often which he thought was a great idea. But whenever I suggest it he always says "I don't have the money" and then if I ask why he just goes into a huge rant about all the stuff he needs to buy for his flipping car and it's just not worth me even asking.
    I don't have much money because I'm a student but I just don't worry about money all the time! I'm sensible and I don't get into debt but I'm not tight with my money and I'm not afraid to spend it! This may not be such a huge problem now but we hope to move in together soon and I just think that this problem is going to get worse once we start doing food shopping together etc.
    I don't want him to buy me really expensive things, but sometimes it would be nice if he took me to the cinema or bought me lunch or flowers. I'm quite traditional in my views and think it's nice when the guy pays for things. Like the other day we were at the pub and I asked him to get me a coke so he asked me for the money for it. My friend said "you won't even buy your girlfriend a coke!?"

Am I being really petty with this? What can I do to make him loosen his purse strings a little!?

He couldn't even pay for a coke?! That's tight. Even if I had a boyfriend I wouldn't ask for the money for his drink. I understand your traditional views and it's nice if a guy offers to pay but really if he doesn't have any money then go halves or pay for yourself. It is bad that you don't go out - I think it's really important and you're not over-reacting being able to go out in a couple to the cinema/pub/restaurant is a normal thing he shouldn't be making it out to be a big deal. I mean c'mon you can get a meal and a drink at Wetherspoon's for 5 pounds! I'm money-conscious as well but life is too short!

Oh sorry and advice to make him loosen his purse strings- tell him life is too short and you need to have fun...make sure he is budgeting correctly and has some disposable income. Maybe his money is going elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    seriously. 2 pounds for a coke. get a proper bf.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.