Turn on thread page Beta

In August 2009 i weighed 9.5 stone and was 5 foot 2 in height. Overweight for a 17 year old girl.

In the last week of august i did a lot of dancing and dropped to 9 stone.
    This triggered me to start being healthy. I'm vegetarian and used to eat a lot of carbs (bread/pasta/potato) as well as chocolate after every meal/ or crisps/cakes etc.

So i started by walking an hour and half twice a week on top of an hour ish of netball. I cut out the bad food and ate a plate of vegetables for dinner (leaving me very hungry afterwards). I quickly lost more weight over a month to get me to about 8.5 stone. I stayed at this for a long time. Got ill, was very sick and ate a lot. Then when i recommenced my diet after this got my weight to 8.25 stone. My exercise increased to 3x1.5hour walks a week (not much i know). I was desperate to reach 8 stone. This is my diet
    Breakfast: cereal (all bran/muesli + semi skimmed milk)
    Lunch: snacking on celery/tomatos/apples/blueberries/ green tea throughout day
    Dinner: Healthy vegetable/lentil/bean soup at about 200 cals each
    Snacks: after i would genearlly need some all bran (handful) or lettuce and low fat humous

This worked and i eventually reduced myw eight to 8 stone and i am now one pound under. But for about 2 weeks i have lost nothing and feel quite wobbly. I am not anorexic or want to get ridiculously skinny, but as i am quite short i do have quite a lot of excess fat around my middle and upper abs which will hopefully be gone if i reach 7.5 stone (not underweight for my hieght). But i seem to have plateaued and don't know what to do. I have read to over indulge one day out of 7 a week to get my metabolism to really work. but i am scared it is already in starvation mode or has really decreased. So i am thinkign i zig zag my calorie intake to wake it up? But since seriously binging on friday to try spike it, and then eating more today i just feel huge. I swear if i eat over 900 calories i just cannotl ose weight and feel huge. I don't know what to do or how much or what to eat to lose this last half stone! Sorry if this is long but if anyone knows please let me know!

Please keep anon cos its embarasing and my habits are recognisable as me as people i know use this site thanks

ReputationRep:
    Post in Fitness.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=269

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you're not eating enough. A bowl of soup for dinner does not a healthy dinner make.

Secondly, a plateau generally lasts longer than 2 weeks. When I lost 3st on weightwatchers, I plateaued for around 7 weeks. It was bloody tough work getting over it.

You're basically not eating enough, so your body's hanging on to every last morsel. Eat more sensible in sensible amounts, and you may find your weightloss is kickstarted.

I'd also suggest trying some other forms of exercise. You need to get your heart rate up so do some high intensity cardio as well as your walks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    But since seriously binging on friday to try spike it, and then eating more today i just feel huge. I swear if i eat over 900 calories i just cannotl ose weight and feel huge. I don't know what to do or how much or what to eat to lose this last half stone!
    Lol so close to 'over 9000' XD
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lame, I know :emo:

Anyway, that's not enough. On average, women are meant to have 2000 calories. You need to eat a lot lot more since you are feeling dizzy etc. Also, try different exercises. Go on a little jog for a minute or so during one of your walks and slowly increase that: jog to the lampost one day. Next lampost next day, etc, etc.
    But seriously, eat moreee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Lol so close to 'over 9000' XD
    Spoiler:
    Show
    lame, I know :emo:

Anyway, that's not enough. On average, women are meant to have 2000 calories. You need to eat a lot lot more since you are feeling dizzy etc. Also, try different exercises. Go on a little jog for a minute or so during one of your walks and slowly increase that: jog to the lampost one day. Next lampost next day, etc, etc.
    But seriously, eat moreee!
    XD so close yet so far...

How much more? Like before when i tried to eat around 1700 - 2000 a day i was at 9.5 stone which was huge and horrible for me. Even with a good fruit/veg intake. I think just cos of my height and because I'm a vegetarian. I'm also anaemic. I just find it so hard knowing what to eat thats healthy and filling and will help me lose weight. What more food shoudl i eat? By eat more can i eat like a chocolate bar if that means anotehr 200 cals t take me to like 1400? or should it be something healthier or can i get away with that sort of treat? i'm just so confused. I will start exercising more I've just stopped because of my exams and want to be revising as much as i can.

ReputationRep:
    When you plateau just increase the intensity of the excercise, if you need to eat more cals to compensate for lack of energy then do so.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.