Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

thinking of learning electric guitar watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

Ive been thinking, and I have concluded that I am in need of a hobby to relax me from the stresses of A levels, and Ive decided that I would like to look further into playing the electric guitar.

Im not really an instrumental person, but I do like music with electric guitar in, so I was wondering, would anyone be able to give me a few pointers?

Are lessons needed?
    Ive seen that guitar players use 'tabs' and not read music? I cant read music so would that be a problem?

Please could you tell me everything a beginner should know before they delve into learning, just so I know whether this is right for me?

thankyou very much in advance!

Will

ReputationRep:
    First of all I would like to congratulate you on considering it as a hobby. I must warn you though however as the first couple of months can be frustrating as you are a beginner and may not be able to play the songs you would like.

Are lessons needed? - Not at all. However I DO suggest you get at least a few as a teacher can help to eliminate bad technique that may cost you dearly in the future so I highly recommend one.

As for tabs you are partially right in saying guitarists use tab. However this has mainly been brought about by the popularity of the internet and the hobbiest guitarist. There are many musicians who do not use tabs but it is your own preference as you certainly do not need to be able to read music.

I suggest you head over to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com. This is a great site that is home to many experienced guitarists and people that can help you out.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Re: "are lessons needed"- not at all! I have taught myself around 10 instruments over the last five years and I find it's the best way to learn, you can go at your own pace and learn in the style you like. HOWEVER don't expect to get any respect from classically trained musicians, grrrrrrr >.<
    Good luck
    x

ReputationRep:
    I agree with ultimate-guitar.com, that's pretty much how I taught myself, also, if you don't want/can't afford lessons, theres some good beginner lessons on you-tube, just to get your technique right.
    Also - have you got a guitar/amp yet? Or do you know which kind you want?
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sing-For-Absolution)
    I agree with ultimate-guitar.com, that's pretty much how I taught myself, also, if you don't want/can't afford lessons, theres some good beginner lessons on you-tube, just to get your technique right.
    Also - have you got a guitar/amp yet? Or do you know which kind you want?
    Good luck
    I havent got a guitar/amp yet, I am just trying to find out as much information about this as possible before I commit.
    Ive been watching some videos on youtube, and the thing that worries me is the fretting on all the different 'tabs'? As in knowing which tab you are fretting on (as I know there are about 20 different ones?)

What guitar/amp would you reccommend? Ive heard gibson are considered very good? And, ive forgotten the brand of amp, but a 15w amp?

thanks everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I totally second Gary B07's post, and would also like to recommend http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php - that site has the best lessons that I've ever come across.

As far as guitar and amps go, it depends on your price range. I'd recommend signing up on UG and posting on those forums for the best advice in that field, but for all the intents and purposes of an A-level student hobbyist that doesn't take music, a cheap **** strat rip-off and starter 10w amp will do just fine.

"Ive been watching some videos on youtube, and the thing that worries me is the fretting on all the different 'tabs'? As in knowing which tab you are fretting on (as I know there are about 20 different ones?)" -I'm not sure wtf you meant by that, I think either your understanding of tabs is completely wrong or I'm just not reading properly. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lesso...tablature.html - there's a lesson for learning tab.

Lastly, try not to spend TOO much time on guitar, make sure you focus on your A-levels and get the good grades in them. When you start getting good at guitr, it CAN get VERY addictive, don;t fall into that trap - make revision your priority! But at the same time, please persevere with actually learning it (the first steps are known to be the hardest - most people quit because they think guitar is not for them. ********; you just need a little perseverance :-p), while spending a sensible amount of time on guitar because it is a very valuable skill.

Good luck man, hope I helped!

ReputationRep:
    Your last post shows you are obviously confused

I shall explain what a tab is, and what a fret is.

A fret on the guitar is the squares in which you put your fingers in to...see this little diagram which is useful

This is part of guitar TAB:

e-----
    B-----
    G-----
    D-----
    A-----
    E-----

The capital E represents the "bottom E" or 6th string. This is the string on a guitar which makes the lowest note when plucked. An example of reading a tab would be this.

An Open A Chord
    e-------
    B-2----
    G-2----
    D-2----
    A-------
    E-------

This means you place a finger on the second fret (represented by the number 2) on strings D, G and B. If you saw

e--------
    B--------
    G--------
    D--------
    A-----24-
    E--20---

It would mean play the first note in the 20th fret on the Low E, then the next note on the 24th fret of the A string...though thats usually for full on rocking out guitar when you're doing a solo

And gibson are great if you wanna spend £3000 on a guitar :P

I would recommend getting a random starter pack (usually a Squire guitar with a cheapy amp) for £100ish from a local music shop. These are pretty good and going to a local shop means you can ask the guys/gals there any questions, or even get them to set it up with you so you know what to do...If you're sure you're going to stick with guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul is a pretty amazing guitar, which I myself want...these are around £200-500 depending on the model. But really, when you first learn you won't appreciate the difference in tone quality till you've played with your first ****** axe for a year or so

Finally, hope I've helped. Good luck man

And for the l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishkeeper)
    I havent got a guitar/amp yet, I am just trying to find out as much information about this as possible before I commit.
    Ive been watching some videos on youtube, and the thing that worries me is the fretting on all the different 'tabs'? As in knowing which tab you are fretting on (as I know there are about 20 different ones?)

What guitar/amp would you reccommend? Ive heard gibson are considered very good? And, ive forgotten the brand of amp, but a 15w amp?

thanks everyone!
    Gibson are good but I wouldn't delve straight in, buying a high-end guitar before you even know if you will continue with it. Start off with a nice, cheap guitar, nothing atrocious but nothing that will break the bank if you decide that playing guitar isn't for you and then give up. The price range you're probably looking at is around £100 - £150 for the guitar and up to about £50 for a small, decent amp, whereas Gibson's normally start at about £300 just for the guitar, which is no small investment. The amp is just as important as the guitar, which is something I think a lot of beginners do not take into consideration. If you have a decent guitar but a bad amp, then it will still sound bad.

Just do a little bit of research about brands and quality on the internet, there are plenty of sites with some really good information.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much everyone!

So would lessons be advisable to get technique correct or follow the lessons posted on the links above (ultimate guitar etc)

Are there any decent branded amps for a reasonable amount of money that anyone knows off? That would be perfect for a beginner?

At the weekend, I hopefully intend to go around my friends and have a go on his electric guitar, that would probably be the deciding factor

ReputationRep:
    Learn as much as you can by video lessons, then if you feel you need the extra help, go for a few lessons. I only had a few lessons learning open and barred chords, after which I stopped.
    And a Marshall 10watt is around £50 last time I checked, and thats a decent amp

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as said above start out with something cheap - you can always upgrade. Cheap doesn't always mean crappy though - I know Fender Squiers get a lot of stick, but they're pretty good for the price - I still play my Squier Tele all the time.
    As for amp's, have a look on ebay, see if you can find a second hand Marshall or the like, 10w is ok, but you can get a good quality second hand 30w for the price of a new 10.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much everyone!

So would lessons be advisable to get technique correct or follow the lessons posted on the links above (ultimate guitar etc)

Are there any decent branded amps for a reasonable amount of money that anyone knows off? That would be perfect for a beginner?

At the weekend, I hopefully intend to go around my friends and have a go on his electric guitar, that would probably be the deciding factor
    I would advise lessons for getting your basic technique correct as if in the future you decide to get more serious about your playing and you have improper technique it will halt your progress substantially. I say this from experience however I have managed to clean my technique up ALOT since I first started playing.

As for gear - Head over to Ultimate Guitar and ask there. I personally would recommend a Squire Stratocaster if you want a very cheap but playable guitar. If possible ask your friend to try any guitar your thinking of buying as he will be able to tell if the quality is horrible or not.

As for an amp the Roland Cube 30X are good for starters. Again I recommend UG forums.

Don't get discouraged or frustrated when you want to play something you cant - It WILL come with time.

ReputationRep:
    I only think it's worth getting lessons if you know nothing about theory so that you can get a basic understanding of scales/chords, definitely not essential but I think it helps.

Understanding tabs is piss easy, should take you a few minutes to have them figured.

Internet >>> paying for lessons.

ReputationRep:

thanks everyone!
    dont get a gibson as a beginner its not worth it they are v. expensive. get a cheap fender/squier to start with.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say get an cheap accoustic guitar to pick up the basics, then you can see if it's something you're going to enjoy, then you can buy a good electric guitar when you know you're going to use it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.