Turn on thread page Beta

Opeth watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Just discovered this band last week. I've been listening to a few of their albums and they're frickin AWESOME I started out with the Still Life album and I've been listening to the whole thing a few times each day.

So are there any fans out there?

ReputationRep:
    Got Blackwater Park when it came out and I've enjoyed them since; Still life and My Arms, Your Hearse are great.

I don't really listen to them that much any more but I was at the gigs for both their DVDs and I've seen them about 10 other times, always good live. Going to the Royal Albert Hall gig with my parents in April, should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Got Blackwater Park when it came out and I've enjoyed them since; Still life and My Arms, Your Hearse are great.

I don't really listen to them that much any more but I was at the gigs for both their DVDs and I've seen them about 10 other times, always good live. Going to the Royal Albert Hall gig with my parents in April, should be fun.
    Your parents are into metal? :lolwut:

I'm considering making a trip down to London to see them. The tickets seem to be running out pretty quickly though. Also, I don't think I really have any friends who are into that kind of music and I'd rather not go to London by myself

But they're playing the whole of Blackwater Park... :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they're good :headbang:

ReputationRep:
    They're ok.

ReputationRep:
    I like mikael's voice, but I find their music starts and stops too much, and changes far too much. I know it is PROGRESSIVE death metal, but some songs it seems they try to be TOO progressive.

ReputationRep:
    They're great live! Seen them a few times now.

If you don't have Blackwater Park, I suggest that!

ReputationRep:
    They're a great band. Can't remember the name of the acoustic album oftomh but it was awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    Just discovered this band last week. I've been listening to a few of their albums and they're frickin AWESOME I started out with the Still Life album and I've been listening to the whole thing a few times each day.

They are technically brilliant, but there needs to be something more in there to draw me in to listening regularly.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents are into metal? :lolwut:
    They're, like me, into anything that sounds good. My mums brother was into stuff like Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Carcass, etc and my parents have always been into prog rock/electronic/classical so I guess I was quite lucky, turned out way more open minded to music than most people anyway.

On the whole not liking Opeth because of the music being too 'progressive' or whatever, I've never understood that. Compared with lots of other prog rock/metal their music sounds pretty cohesive to me and lots of it comes across as quite catchy.

ReputationRep:
    They're good. Not my fave but still very very good.

ReputationRep:

awsome band , there new stuff is realy good apart from the latest album , but i enjoy orchid and morningrise the most. songs such as nectar , the twilight is my robe and of course black rose immortal.

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to any of these , get orchid and morningrise first !

ReputationRep:
    So far I have Still Life, Blackwater Park and Morningrise. I love this band!

ReputationRep:
    What is that Opeth song with the really popular riff? It was voted one of the best riffs by some Heavy Metal Society :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant band, really need to see them live one day

ReputationRep:
    Stunning band. Morningrise is probably my favourite record, followed by Still Life. Orchid is lush too, I've always preferred their older stuff frankly, more proggy and unexpected.

Was going to see them at Graspop 2008, but they didn't make it on the day they were meant to. I died a little. :emo:

(Original post by innerhollow)
    I listened to them once, and I couldn't stand them. Metal singers should all have their tongues cut out because all they insist on ruining their guitar playing (which is actually REALLY good) with their horrendously bad singing/screaming/whatever name you want to give to that awful talentless thing they do with their voice. I only listened to them because a friend mentioned them to me a while back, and he's a pothead.

(You're not a pothead are you? :confused: )
    What's with the generalisations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    I listened to them once, and I couldn't stand them. Metal singers should all have their tongues cut out because all they insist on ruining their guitar playing (which is actually REALLY good) with their horrendously bad singing/screaming/whatever name you want to give to that awful talentless thing they do with their voice. I only listened to them because a friend mentioned them to me a while back, and he's a pothead.

(You're not a pothead are you? :confused: )
    Excuse me, talentless?

The screams and growls from most forms of metal are very difficult to do properly. It's far more of a talent than this garbage pop singing that seems to be popular at the moment. *cough* Miley Cyrus *cough*

ReputationRep:
    Aw, let the fool be.

Don't quite get your statement about the earlier albums being the most 'proggy' though, Orchid and Morningrise are pretty standard affairs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Aw, let the fool be.

Don't quite get your statement about the earlier albums being the most 'proggy' though, Orchid and Morningrise are pretty standard affairs.
    :dontknow: I've just always found them more varying and linear as opposed to... structured is the word I suppose.

Listening to The Night and the Silent Water now, cause of this thread. :cool: Ages since I've listened to Opeth. :banghead:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.