Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    Your parents are into metal? :lolwut:
    Hey, my mum has come with me to HammerFall, Sonata Arctica and a few others. Music is for whoever wants to listen to it.

Opeth are good though. I need to get some more of their stuff, but they were epic live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Don't be such a music snob, I never said that I liked Miley Cirus or though she was talented. I respect and like listening to singers who puts power and passion into every note as they masterfully move up and down note registers. That is art. Death metal screaming is just noise.

Just because it's not that common an ability doesn't make it good to listen to. I'm sure rhythmic farting is quite difficult to do and thus by your twisted definition constitutes talent, and yet the vast majority of people would say that isn't pleasant to listen to.
    :facepalm2: I'm not going to get into a debate about this, because with some people arguing over this particular topic never gains anything.

But you are in fact the one being the music snob here. People are entitled to listen to what they want to, and if you truly believe that death metal is just noise then you are simply incompetent. Because you like listening to particular styles of singing doesn't mean that anything other than that is just noise.

And why should what the vast majority of people think is pleasant to listen to affect what kinds of music an individual can enjoy?

Even if you don't like growling, at least accept it's a form of music that is a talent, and a musical skill in itself.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be such a music snob, I never said that I liked Miley Cirus or though she was talented. I respect and like listening to singers who puts power and passion into every note as they masterfully move up and down note registers. That is art. Death metal screaming is just noise.

Just because it's not that common an ability doesn't make it good to listen to. I'm sure rhythmic farting is quite difficult to do and thus by your twisted definition constitutes talent, and yet the vast majority of people would say that isn't pleasant to listen to.
    But I'm only replying to your comment that the screaming is 'talentless'. Rhythmic farting would be a form of talent. I'm happy for people to have opinions on what they find pleasant, I just get exasperated by the notion that the skill is 'talentless'.

ReputationRep:
    People like innerhollow are great. xD

I just watched the Roundhouse DVD, that gig was awesome. I don't even like Paradise Lost but they were great too.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite band at the moment and have been for a few months now.

Anyone going to the London gig in April? I CAN NOT WAIT!

They are playing the whole of Blackwater Park...and i'm expecting the second half of the set list to be full of the favourites. I am hoping for :

Demon of the Fall (This is pretty much a certainty actually)
    When
    The Moor (Especially this one)
    Godhead Lamnent
    Serenity Painted Death
    Burden
    Deliverance

ReputationRep:
    Oh god... can't sleep....

(Original post by ParadigmShift)
    :facepalm2: I'm not going to get into a debate about this, because with some people arguing over this particular topic never gains anything.

But you are in fact the one being the music snob here. People are entitled to listen to what they want to, and if you truly believe that death metal is just noise then you are simply incompetent. Because you like listening to particular styles of singing doesn't mean that anything other than that is just noise.

And why should what the vast majority of people think is pleasant to listen to affect what kinds of music an individual can enjoy?

Even if you don't like growling, at least accept it's a form of music that is a talent, and a musical skill in itself.
    Yeah I can't be bothered keeping this up. I was trolling (hence why I asked OP if they were a pothead), and judging from the neg and angry responses I was doing pretty well at this trolling thing . However, my opinion about death metal stands- great guitar playing, voice isn't as great in most cases, but some death metal is really quite good to listen to actually. That's just what I personally think. But believe me, if you look at some of my older posts, I am far from a music snob:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22868106&postcoun t=210

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=22879995&postcoun t=221

But OP has come across as a music snob, hence why when I posted a musical opinion which differed to his (admittedly a troll post, but there was truth to it) he immediately assumed that because I don't like the same music as him, I must like music he thinks is awful. His snobbery is conveyed in the fact that he wants people to respect him for liking death metal even if they don't like that genre of music themselves, but in turn shows no respect for people who want to listen to that kind of bubblegum, Disney pop stuff. You know, if you want respect, you give respect.

(Original post by Enzo-259)
    But I'm only replying to your comment that the screaming is 'talentless'. Rhythmic farting would be a form of talent. I'm happy for people to have opinions on what they find pleasant, I just get exasperated by the notion that the skill is 'talentless'.
    Read above thing. I'm perfectly aware the screaming is difficult. As long as you're aware that talent doesn't always equate to a pleasant sound though, that's fine.

However, I do not believe your claim that you're "happy for people to have opinions on what they find pleasant".

ReputationRep:
    Heir Apparent is perfection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary B07)
    My favourite band at the moment and have been for a few months now.

Anyone going to the London gig in April? I CAN NOT WAIT!

They are playing the whole of Blackwater Park...and i'm expecting the second half of the set list to be full of the favourites. I am hoping for :

Demon of the Fall (This is pretty much a certainty actually)
    When
    The Moor (Especially this one)
    Godhead Lamnent
    Serenity Painted Death
    Burden
    Deliverance

I was under the impression they were playing all of Blackwater Park and then a few 'classics' and songs they don't usually play.

ReputationRep:
    Some fantastic guitar lines have been written by Opeth, I'll admit that. However, I don't get prog music, so they'll always be a 6/10 band for me.

ReputationRep:
    Heard a few songs here and there, they are alright I guess. I prefer Appalling Spawn, Man Must Die, and Lykathea Aflame when it comes to Death Metal though. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just go throw Lykathé in there for good luck?

ReputationRep:
    I do love their music, I've had The Grand Conjuration on repeat for the last couple of weeks haha. Whenever I need to chill out, Damnation will always be there too - one of the most neglected and under-rated albums of the century! Watershed was good, but as somebody said it was very very stop start, they used too many short acoustic breakdowns in weird places, made the music sound a bit less satisfying.

Prefer Enslaved in general, their last three albums have been consistently perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    Prefer Enslaved in general, their last three albums have been consistently perfect!
    10 albums ranging from good to awesome is pretty impressive. Ruun, Eld and Frost are ******* brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    One of the dullest bands I've ever listened to (although their first two albums hold a place in my heart for some reason)

ReputationRep:
    Damnation is one of my all-time favourite albums, but I'm actually not crazy about Opeth live. Saw them back in October and it was one of the most boring gigs I've ever been to.

ReputationRep:
    I listened to them once, and I couldn't stand them. Metal singers should all have their tongues cut out because all they insist on ruining their guitar playing (which is actually REALLY good) with their horrendously bad singing/screaming/whatever name you want to give to that awful talentless thing they do with their voice. I only listened to them because a friend mentioned them to me a while back, and he's a pothead.

(You're not a pothead are you? :confused: )
    Woah, dude
    have you heard Mikael's clean vocals?
    they're so beautiful and mellow
    i don't know how anyone could dislike them...:eek:

ReputationRep:
    They are brilliant, what amazing compositions they come up with, the only thing which I don't about the songs is they are too ******* long!

Blackwater Park as almost everyone has mentioned is the best!

The Lotus Eater, Hex Omega, Patterns in the Ivy II, are amazing... there are more songs

ReputationRep:
    Amazing band, but I've only seen them twice live. Last time was BOA a few weeks ago and they did a stunning cover of Catch the Rainbow, which I'm linking to whenever I'm given the chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Some fantastic guitar lines have been written by Opeth, I'll admit that. However, I don't get prog music, so they'll always be a 6/10 band for me.
    A lot changes in 7 months or so.

I'd now say that Blackwater Park is one of my fave albums. I still get a bit lost at times and there will always be instances when I think that a transition is just a little too sudden, but their song writing is just fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    A lot changes in 7 months or so.

I'd now say that Blackwater Park is one of my fave albums. I still get a bit lost at times and there will always be instances when I think that a transition is just a little too sudden, but their song writing is just fantastic.
    Whoa, just realised that this is a massive bump. :woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.