The Student Room Group

Help with A Level choices

I'm going to be doing my GCSEs this year, and we have to pick our A Level subjects by the end of this month.

I've already picked three of them, but I'm a bit confused on my fourth one.

The three I've already picked are:

Biology
Chemistry
Maths

For the fourth option, I'm stuck between Psychology and Physics.

I read some stuff about the things you learn in Psychology at A Level, and it sounds very interesting. I've never done it before though, so I might end up being very bad at it, and getting a low grade.

I was also thinking about Physics because I've heard that it's very useful - more useful than Psychology. I'm also pretty good at it, and I've been getting some good grades so far in it.

I'm not interested in doing Psychology at University, so a lot of people have been telling me to do Physics at A Level instead. The only problem is that I cannot stand Physics. I hate it, but I'm good at it, and it's supposed to be useful, so I'm not sure if I should choose it as my fourth option instead of Psychology.

I'm interested in studying some sort of science at University later on, like Biochemistry, which is why a lot of people have told me that Physics will be more useful than Psychology. I was originally thinking about going for medicine, but then I realised I wasn't smart enough.

I was wondering if there's anyone here who does Psychology at A Level who could tell me what it's like? Is it interesting, or is it very hard? Is it difficult to achieve an A in it?

And would I be better off studying Physics at A Level even though I hate it, or does it really not matter if I don't do it for A Level?
Would it make much of a difference if I decided to go for Psychology instead?

Thanks, hope you bothered to read all of that. :o:
Reply 1
i take the 3 subject uve picked plus economics, so i cant really tell u about psychology or physics, but if u hate the subject i really woulnt advise u to take it beacuse the step from gcse is bigger so u have to put more time and effort into it, and u will have a lot more lessons of physics, hence i wouldnt take it if i were u, i dont think ur 4th subject matters that much as long as u get a good grade in it so just take what u want, but ive heard from my friends that psyhcology is really easy....but yeah i would go for psychology or try economics :biggrin:
Pick psychology; if you're good at biology it should be a walk in the park,
I was crap at biology and so far I find it easy enough, it just requires a bit of revision.

Don't pick physics if you hate it, there's a big gap between gcse and AS so if you don't really enjoy the subject, don't bother.
I found physics great at gcse, but it gets quite boring at a-level and i regret doing it (because i don't have the motivation to do it) if i were you i would take psychology over physics (if you already hate it), also in maths i wouldn't take the mechanics as you applied module if you dislike physics (there is alot of cross over) .

but take what you would like best and would find interesting and have the motivation to do well in (i don't have an awful lot of motivation in my a-level subject at the moment and i regret taking them, so don't end up like me, cause i am not going to do too well)
Reply 4
Leighthesim
I found physics great at gcse, but it gets quite boring at a-level and i regret doing it (because i don't have the motivation to do it) if i were you i would take psychology over physics (if you already hate it), also in maths i wouldn't take the mechanics as you applied module if you dislike physics (there is alot of cross over) .

but take what you would like best and would find interesting and have the motivation to do well in (i don't have an awful lot of motivation in my a-level subject at the moment and i regret taking them, so don't end up like me, cause i am not going to do too well)

It's funny that you should say that about taking Mechanics, because I was just talking to my friend about doing that for A Level. :p: I actually prefer Mechanics to Stats etc. so I was thinking about that.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone. I've decided to pick Psychology, and I guess if I do really bad in it, I can give it up at the end of the year.

I would +rep you all, but I think that would be pretty pointless, so thanks again. :smile:
Angury

I read some stuff about the things you learn in Psychology at A Level, and it sounds very interesting. I've never done it before though, so I might end up being very bad at it, and getting a low grade.

I was also thinking about Physics because I've heard that it's very useful - more useful than Psychology. I'm also pretty good at it, and I've been getting some good grades so far in it.

I'm not interested in doing Psychology at University, so a lot of people have been telling me to do Physics at A Level instead. The only problem is that I cannot stand Physics. I hate it, but I'm good at it, and it's supposed to be useful, so I'm not sure if I should choose it as my fourth option instead of Psychology.

I'm interested in studying some sort of science at University later on, like Biochemistry, which is why a lot of people have told me that Physics will be more useful than Psychology. I was originally thinking about going for medicine, but then I realised I wasn't smart enough.

I was wondering if there's anyone here who does Psychology at A Level who could tell me what it's like? Is it interesting, or is it very hard? Is it difficult to achieve an A in it?

And would I be better off studying Physics at A Level even though I hate it, or does it really not matter if I don't do it for A Level?
Would it make much of a difference if I decided to go for Psychology instead?

Don't take physics you obviously dont like it so you will just end up hating it more. and also don't choose a subject just because you think you can get an A in it. or vise versa. if you really enjoy the subject you will do well.

i'm year 13 and i thought i could get quite high grades but then throughout year 12 i began to realise that because all of my subjects are mostly exams, i don't do as well as i hope. but then i've suited university choices around this and i'm all happy at aiming for the grade i think i can achieve.

if you think you're not clever enough to do medicine but are willing to choose a subject on wether you can get an A or not. just think it through. you'll probably end up dropping down to 3 subjects in a year anyway.

and fyi my friends take psychology and it sounds really interesting. research it.

Latest