Turn on thread page Beta

Office Junior - A girl's job? watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I have an interview this week for an office junior job, but I'm not sure whether I really want the job or not.

Is it more of a girl's job because I'm a guy! Also it is only 10.5k a year which is Ok but not great. Not sure what to do though, I'm off to uni in september (hopefully) and all I need is a job to tie me up until then not a job which I will be in forever.

Advice please

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is.

But what are you expecting? Just bend over until September like the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    LOL.

Dude, take the job. It's not a girls job. It's a job. It's money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    LOL.

Dude, take the job. It's not a girls job. It's a job. It's money.
    It is a girls job though.

ReputationRep:
    Just do the job lol.

ReputationRep:
    Your the only one who cares if its a girls job or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    It is a girls job though.
    You wanna explain the logic behind that or are you just being sexist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    You wanna explain the logic behind that or are you just being sexist?

The OP said it, by which I read a weak job, which it is. I didn't say it was a job for girls, thats very different. That would be midwifery.

ReputationRep:
    What really defines a 'girl's job'? Are men not capable of doing the office job and therefore it is reserved for women only? It's like saying there should not be any male nurses or midwives, though there are plenty about!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, to be fair - I think I'm just being stupid about it and trying to find excuses not to take a job, looking at any little negative thing.

Office job is not ideal for me but I suppose money is money and it will be only for 8 months or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King26)
    Basically I have an interview this week for an office junior job, but I'm not sure whether I really want the job or not.

Is it more of a girl's job because I'm a guy! Also it is only 10.5k a year which is Ok but not great. Not sure what to do though, I'm off to uni in september (hopefully) and all I need is a job to tie me up until then not a job which I will be in forever.

Advice please
    Man the **** up. Who cares? its far better than doing a "mans job" like sweeping the street, so stop being such a **** about it.

ReputationRep:
    don't be pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    go for the job !

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly. There's no such thing as a 'girl's job' - this isn't the 1950s you know. If you need the money, take it. I doubt it'll be too challenging.

ReputationRep:
    A girl's job? Wow...

You'll be working in an office, not a dress-modeling shop.

ReputationRep:
    by a girl's job do you mean

A) A job usually performed/only suitable for women? (which I don't understand how this job could be considered a girl's job then really).
    or
    B) A job where in order to keep the job you must flirt/be romantically involved with your boss. In this situation your boss is male (and straight) hence your flirting with him will be in vain and he will fire you from this high paid, dream job for a female which he deems attractive?

If it is the latter, B), I sympathise with you

ReputationRep:
    Man up and do it.

Only a girl would whine that much. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Presumably he's labelling it as a 'girl's job' due to its low pay and status. No doubt he expected his first job out of school to be as CEO of a multinational corporation, what with him having a penis and all.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well.. if it is a 'girl's job, then there might be tons of girls there as your co-workers. I don't see the problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Presumably he's labelling it as a 'girl's job' due to its low pay and status. No doubt he expected his first job out of school to be as CEO of a multinational corporation, what with him having a penis and all.

:rolleyes:
    Yeah course I did, durrr. Having a lightsaber means you should get least 40k job to start with :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.