Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is the rich kids who seem to be going on every trip abroad organised by their societies for example, that are like £400 and having to deal with their snobbish attitude and bragging of it on Facebook. Knowing that my parents couldn't ever afford a £400 trip for me and that these rich kids are living off their parents' wallet and in doing so are able to go on as many trips aboard as they want and have good varying experiences whilst meeting new people.

Does it piss anyone else off?

ReputationRep:
    jesus said be content with what you have...wow RE lessons were nto so pointless after all..

ReputationRep:
    :-( Don't fret OP. Just be proud that you are more independent than them.

One day when you are a self-made success you will appreciate it all the more. xx

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate on what you have rather than what you don't have :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Dude, that's life. There are people like that all over the place and there always will be. Just accept it and ignore them

ReputationRep:
    Just think though - you don't have to be rich to travel - once you've bought the flights you can travel though Asia and South America for surprisingly little, and can gain just as many experiences as these people at uni, if not more! Or you could work for a bit longer and then travel around the world! Then who'd be jealous? One of these people could boast about a 2-week skiing trip in America or Canada or something now, but then in time you could be going on about your backpacking trip through Asia or around the world, and all the fabulous experiences you've had...! It doesn't cost that much to travel through Europe, either, or have minibreaks or weekends away there

ReputationRep:
    Yup pisses me off. Also makes me more motivated to do well just to give it a "get it up ye" later on in life (only those who brag about it)

and it's rewarding to pay for the rent with money you have earned imo.

ReputationRep:
    Jealousy is not attractive. It's their life, let them be. Focus on your own.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I'm probably one of these "rich kids" although I haven't been on any trips abroad with my Uni. It is over-rated.

It is helpful that my parents pay my rent money but if they didn't and I paid myself it would be hard but I would try my best to manage and would be proud if I could.

ReputationRep:
    cheers guys, by feeling **** about it and realising they are all cocks i do feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    To be fair I'm probably one of these "rich kids" although I haven't been on any trips abroad with my Uni. It is over-rated.

It is helpful that my parents pay my rent money but if they didn't and I paid myself it would be hard but I would try my best to manage and would be proud if I could.

out of interest what do you mean overrated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    Concentrate on what you have rather than what you don't have :yep:
    Coming from a kid whos uses his profile to boast about the all the expensive holidays mummy and daddy take him on. In what sense is "living off my parents" being a self employed international playboy?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Maestro*)
    cheers guys, by feeling **** about it and realising they are all cocks i do feel better.
    This is silly, though. They're not all cocks. Don't most people strive to be rich? To do the best for their kids? What you're pissed off about is that you can't have the same experiences, you're not pissed off at them - if you had that much money you'd go on those trips too, and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    Is the rich kids who seem to be going on every trip abroad organised by their societies for example, that are like £400 and having to deal with their snobbish attitude and bragging of it on Facebook. Knowing that my parents couldn't ever afford a £400 trip for me and that these rich kids are living off their parents' wallet and in doing so are able to go on as many trips aboard as they want and have good varying experiences whilst meeting new people.

I hate rich kids who show off, I hate toffs, I hate arrogant people, I have university, i hate ucl, state comp ftw :cool: braaaaaaap

ReputationRep:
    it's stupid though... ok, my parents could afford to send me on thatkind of trip if I wanted, and if I asked they'd probably say yes. but I wouldn't... because I'm at uni now not at school, and I'm trying not to scrounge off them!

ReputationRep:
    out of interest what do you mean overrated?
    I mean it's really not important. Unless they're pretty dumb, a student whose parents help them a lot will understand the value of money. I certainly understand the fact that I'll have to earn a lot of money to keep a roof over my head.

A person who has more things paid for them than another isn't better than that person, doesn't have a superiority complex over the other (in most cases) and certainly has no advantage over the other when they graduate. Trust me, freeloading after I graduate is something I don't want to do and would not be an advantage.

ReputationRep:

You have to learn to get over it, you can be as pissed off as you like. But you're only going to be wasting time and energy, it won't make the money jump into your bank account.

See it as a positive, whilst they're off living the high life, you can work on your appauling sentence structure.

ReputationRep:
    you properly got more money off the government on your grant ?????

ReputationRep:
    people like that are annoying yea i have money myself (not from my parents) and people always banging on about it and asking for **** and expecting me to spend spend spend just because i have it does my nut, the fact some people try and brag about just seems retarded tbh they obviously like getting hassled/want the attention

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    This is silly, though. They're not all cocks. Don't most people strive to be rich? To do the best for their kids? What you're pissed off about is that you can't have the same experiences, you're not pissed off at them - if you had that much money you'd go on those trips too, and you know it.
    Although being brought up in a poor family has made me view money in a different light to these people.

So yes, I am pissed off at them as their relationship with money is not wired up properly. Of course if I was them with rich parents I'd be on those trips, but I'm not so I was brought up to view money differently. It's not plain jealousy, more about equality and being on a level playing field. It's not about being 'rich'.

Don't most people 'strive to be rich' .... err no, that's just a solely selfish attitude.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.