Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya!
    I need a real Spanish nerd to help me this one...
    Alright so my teacher has this technique of giving us 'power pieces' that we make ourselves... he basically gives us the criteria and we write them... for example, he'll tell us to write a sentence with a subjunctive, with lo que, with a noun that nobody of our level is expected to know and an adjective...

I've just come up with one... Please can you translate this one...

Since the advent of cloning people have found themselves at either sides of the divide, matters of this nature continue to be controversial. It all boils down to the fact that the relevant authorities need to ensure that scientists are fully informed before even approaching the human genome.

here are some nouns/phrases
    advent - llegada
    cloning - el clonaje/ la clonación
    to continue to be - seguir siendo
    it all boils down to - todo se reduce a
    matters - temas
    nature - clase; tipo; índole; naturaleza; suerte; especie

Thanx in advance!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    Since the advent of cloning people have found themselves at either sides of the divide, matters of this nature continue to be controversial. It all boils down to the fact that the relevant authorities need to ensure that scientists are fully informed before even approaching the human genome.
    Desde la llegada de la clonación, las personas han tenido opiniones divididas acerca de este tema, y los asuntos de esta naturaleza siguen siendo controversiales. Todo se reduce al hecho de que las autoridades competentes necesitan asegurarse de que los científicos estén bien informados antes de manipular el genoma humano.

(I've translated "approaching" to "manipular" because "acercarse" didn't sound right)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Desde la llegada de la clonación, las personas han tenido opiniones divididas acerca de este tema, y los asuntos de esta naturaleza siguen siendo controversiales. Todo se reduce al hecho de que las autoridades competentes necesitan asegurarse de que los científicos estén bien informados antes de manipular el genoma humano.

(I've translated "approaching" to "manipular" because "acercarse" didn't sound right)
    Thanx!
    But isn't the word for controversial polémico? '
    Shouldn't the 'las' in front of personas be eliminated?
    and 'bien informados' sounds a bit off... Unless of course you're a native spanish speaker... in which case, I just don't know what I'm on about.
    Thanks for replying!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    Thanx!
    But isn't the word for controversial polémico? ' Yes it is, sorry, I invented a word :P
    Shouldn't the 'las' in front of personas be eliminated? No
    and 'bien informados' sounds a bit off... Unless of course you're a native spanish speaker... in which case, I just don't know what I'm on about. I think it's fine.
    Desde la llegada de la clonación, las personas han tenido opiniones divididas acerca de este tema, y los asuntos de esta naturaleza siguen siendo polémicos. Todo se reduce al hecho de que las autoridades competentes necesitan asegurarse de que los científicos estén bien informados antes de manipular el genoma humano.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous of a teacher to expect you to translate that paragraph, it's far too sophisticated. However, I agree with the idea behind it - i.e. getting you to write sentences with some complex stuff in, because that's what examiners are looking for. They want you to include the higher-level grammatical structures listed in the specification (passives, pluperfect, etc.) And since those are things that even Spaniards wouldn't necessarily use often in conversations about the very basic topics covered at GCSE level, your best bet is to prepare stuff in advance and learn how to work those structures in, then memorise the material and regurgitate it during the oral. And the irony is that examiners are now complaining that students just recite prepared speeches, yet the new language syllabuses will do nothing to change that because presentations haven't been phased out and they still give higher marks for structures that you wouldn't normally think of using.

Rant over :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Desde la llegada de la clonación, las personas han tenido opiniones divididas acerca de este tema, y los asuntos de esta naturaleza siguen siendo polémicos. Todo se reduce al hecho de que las autoridades competentes necesitan asegurarse de que los científicos estén bien informados antes de manipular el genoma humano.
    I wouldn't say that "approaching" is necessarily the same thing as "manipulating", and I think there's a difference between "fully informed" and "well informed", but otherwise I agree with your interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    This is my try, I am currently studying A2 so perhaps it might not be 100% correct, however it may help out...

Desde la llegada de la clonación,la gente se ha encontrado a ambos lados del abismo y los temas de esta naturaleza siguen siendo controvertidos. Todo se reduce al hecho de que las autoridades pertinentes necesitan asegurar que los científicos estén completemente informados antes de aproximarse al genoma de un ser humano.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aelred)
    It's ridiculous of a teacher to expect you to translate that paragraph, it's far too sophisticated. However, I agree with the idea behind it - i.e. getting you to write sentences with some complex stuff in, because that's what examiners are looking for. They want you to include the higher-level grammatical structures listed in the specification (passives, pluperfect, etc.) And since those are things that even Spaniards wouldn't necessarily use often in conversations about the very basic topics covered at GCSE level, your best bet is to prepare stuff in advance and learn how to work those structures in, then memorise the material and regurgitate it during the oral. And the irony is that examiners are now complaining that students just recite prepared speeches, yet the new language syllabuses will do nothing to change that because presentations haven't been phased out and they still give higher marks for structures that you wouldn't normally think of using.

Rant over :/
    Really trying to impress the examiner by using lots of subjunctives (especially past one instead of future conditional) passives, a high vocab. My teacher knows that this is how to get the marks... Unfortunately, it doesn't really help us... I don't learn the formats by heart though... I manipulate them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.