Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree with the Police spending taxpayers' money on sledging? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deadlokIV)

Is this all really that bad?
    Well lets assess the situation.

1. As far as I can see, there is 6 police officers in the video.
    2. They spent about 5 minutes sledging.
    3. An officers average salary is 36k which work out at £18.33 an hour. (http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Policeman_2145)
    4. £18.33 is for 60 mins. Therefore the salary of one officer for 5 minutes is £18.33/12 = £1.52.
    5. There were 6 officers, £1.52 * 6 = £9.12.
    6. Taking the number of UK taxpayers to be around 40 million, this equals a personal cost to each taxpayer Of £0.000000228.

Am I bothered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SacreBleu)
    Well lets assess the situation.

1. As far as I can see, there is 6 police officers in the video.
    2. They spent about 5 minutes sledging.
    3. An officers average salary is 36k which work out at £18.33 an hour. (http://www.mysalary.co.uk/average-salary/Policeman_2145)
    4. £18.33 is for 60 mins. Therefore the salary of one officer for 5 minutes is £18.33/12 = £1.52.
    5. There were 6 officers, £1.52 * 6 = £9.12.
    6. Taking the number of UK taxpayers to be around 40 million, this equals a personal cost to each taxpayer Of £0.000000228.

Am I bothered?
    I can't believe you actually dug out those statistics. What a complete winner

ReputationRep:
    This is absolutely despicable.
    How dare they neglect their duties as police officers and use public goods for the demonic games.
    I think they should be removed from their jobs, made to pay a substantial fine, and issue a public apology. I am writing a letter of complaint.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha, god there only having a bit of fun!

Perhaps with your thinking it is also a waste of taxpayers money when we have fun at school!

Not everything can be allocatively efficient.

ReputationRep:
    Do people not have anything else better to complain about? I suspect a lot of the people complaining about this were the same people enjoying a day off work following the snow.

ReputationRep:
    Come on - Oxfordshire constabulary hasn't exactly got to deal with a murder a minute in a county dominated by a university city and a few sleepy towns.

Give them a break - If I was their super I'd give them a pat on the back for having some fun once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty awesome tbh. If I was a policeman I'd do exactly the same thing. I mean c'mon, it's not as if you never used to piss around in school given the opportunity is it?

As for the taxpayers money thing, that's a load of balls, it probably cost about 0.01p per person in the country so they can do some sledging. It's things like war in other countries which wastes the countries funds.

ReputationRep:
    The fact so much conjecture has gone into such a trivial matter is quite worrying, i can't really see much wrong with it, it's just a bit of fun.

ReputationRep:
    Meh seriously does it matter ?!?!
    how are they using taxpayers money? the sheilds didnt get broken
    the sheilds get more damage from some taxpayers having a riot there allowed a little bit of fun all work and no play and all that ...
    honestly i thought it was a genius idea!!!
    i suppose people would see it differently if it was a builder or something

ReputationRep:
    yes, completely, I doubt anyone would have been commiting crimes on a park hill, infact...I want a riot shield as a sledge

ReputationRep:
    We must take into account that the police, like the rest of us, are human beings.

ReputationRep:
    The people who complain about this are the sort that probably complain about everything else.
    Police sledging, this country will be in ruins soon! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    This is absolutely despicable.
    How dare they neglect their duties as police officers and use public goods for the demonic games.
    I think they should be removed from their jobs, made to pay a substantial fine, and issue a public apology. I am writing a letter of complaint.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    If you are worried about the taxpayers' money and wasting police time, consider how much time Sup't Andrew Murray spent disciplining them. What if an old lady had been mugged while he was reprimanding him or giving his pompous little statement to the Daily Mail both of which probably happened on the taxpayers' expense?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.