Turn on thread page Beta

learning to ride a Motor Bike watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Sorry to bring this up again, but this is why you get a difference in attitudes between UK and US riders. The standards of testing and tuition between the countries are huge, and in the UK you cant just "pass in 5 minuets" like maybe you can in Cyprus as well as the US. This makes us safer from day 1 and more able to ride powerful bikes.

http://pistonheads.com/gassing/topic...n%20Americans?
    My stance still remains I've learnt on a 250 (put around 7k on it ) then bought my CBR600rr (2008 model :mfing:). The bigger error margin, smoother power band, low weight, good handling makes the class very good for beginners. Majority of people I've talked to, from professional instructors , to friends and people who ridden bikes for many years recommended me a 250, and looking back I would say great advice. The specs for 250 are 5 secs to 100km/h and 175 top speed, again making it ideal for a learner

Search google for beginners bike and you will get the ninja 250 as the most recommend. I will sum it up as compared to a hayabusa what you recommended is better but not compared to 250.This is my opinion, a 250 is easier to ride but if you believe the ride ability for a gsx 500 is at an acceptable level for an absolute beginner that is your opinion

Also the MSF is not just a quiz its actually 10 hours practical plus 4 hours theory . Again even though a great start for learning a 10 hours practical is still pretty much nothing nor is the CBT its just the basis. For me up to 5k you are still a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dkdeath)
    My stance still remains I've learnt on a 250 (put around 7k on it ) then bought my CBR600rr (2008 model :mfing:). The bigger error margin, smoother power band, low weight, good handling makes the class very good for beginners. Majority of people I've talked to, from professional instructors , to friends and people who ridden bikes for many years recommended me a 250, and looking back I would say great advice. The specs for 250 are 5 secs to 100km/h and 175 top speed, again making it ideal for a learner

Search google for beginners bike and you will get the ninja 250 as the most recommend. I will sum it up as compared to a hayabusa what you recommended is better but not compared to 250.This is my opinion, a 250 is easier to ride but if you believe the ride ability for a gsx 500 is at an acceptable level for an absolute beginner that is your opinion

Also the MSF is not just a quiz its actually 10 hours practical plus 4 hours theory . Again even though a great start for learning a 10 hours practical is still pretty much nothing nor is the CBT its just the basis. For me up to 5k you are still a beginner.
    We'll agree to disagree then.

However, in the UK 500 and 600cc bikes are used by ALL of the riding schools, look at UK forums and you will see 500/600cc being recommended as beginner bikes. I appreciate things might be different abroad, but as someone who will be learning in the UK, with a few years of car driving experience behind them, then (imo) a 600 sports tourer or similar would not be anything excessive for the OP.

ReputationRep:
    Rider, I agree with you. If the op does their training on a 500cc bike then there's no reason they can't get a 600cc bike as a first bike, but I would draw the line at a brand new powerful sports bike lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Rider, I agree with you. If the op does their training on a 500cc bike then there's no reason they can't get a 600cc bike as a first bike, but I would draw the line at a brand new powerful sports bike lol
    I'm holding you to that. If a 600cc kills me I shall haunt you and your bike supplies for all ages.

I'm definitely going second hand to start off with. I have lots of other training courses for my career to sap me dry. And quite enjoy annual getaways. Plus I'm likely to ding up my first bike, if I'm not mistaken.

CBT is booked for early March.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Not a 1198R then :shh:

OP try different styles of bike out and see what fits your height weight, style of riding best. I would recommend getting something second-hand. So if you find it's not right, you can replace it relatively easily, and won't worry about scuffing it up a little.

I would second a 600cc, but only if your sure your responsible. You'll need to learn to master the basic skills of riding after your test. Particularly controlling the power and knowing your own limitations as well as the Bikes.

It will take awhile before you'll be ready to consider upgrading. It will also be a lot of fun. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinematographic)
    Only 2 accidents in 4 years? Curious back wheels, and sliding on white lines in particular sounds like the road can be quite a lot more perilous than I first thought. Glad they were not too serious. :yy: First time wasnt helped by the idiot i brought it off having put the wheel on wonky - by all means do your own work, but do it right! But those 2 are since i got my new bike, with the bandit i never had a problem, but as said i've done 16000 miles this year.

I do to an extent empathise with having to deal with car drivers not seeing you.

I'm a very keen cyclist often using my bike to get around the busiest parts of London. I only ever use my car for commuting to work which is free lance so there are sometimes weeks between use when it's all cycling. I suppose you had already been driving awhile when you got your bike. Still 4 days seems impressive. Never driven a car or bike, the first time i rode a motorbike was the monday, and passed on the friday morning, i'm a mountain biker, road biker, motorbiker, and thought at 21 maybe i need to take car lessons, so am just learning to drive.

I'm a little OCD with things I own. My books have perfect spines. My guitar has minute barely visible scratches despite many years of use. I wasnt OCD with the bandit, i wanted to be with the sv's fairing, but a week in scratched the whole left side up, so there goes that plan. Fairings are expensive to replace

Sounds like a good excuse to get out to ride in the Welsh countryside! The safety gear is the only thing I don't plan on scrimping for, I've broken far too many bones on my adventures at this age in my life. I am worried that it will catch up with me in old age.
    I've got arthritis in my shoulders, and knee problems, and one kind doctor told me i'd be in a wheel chair at 35, i have no plans of life catching up with me

I'm assuming your a bloke, if your female, it might be worth looking at blokes clothing as i find it cheaper getting the smalls and extra smalls the men dont want. Its taken me 3 years to find a pair of boots that do up over my abnormal ankles, whcih are RST vortex, and on offer so i was chuffed. The one bit of equipment if you go near a road over 50mph is http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/2...our/Forcefield

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    I agree I had a brand new 600cc it got stolen, got all new matching leather for it too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluestorm)
    I agree I had a brand new 600cc it got stolen, got all new matching leather for it too
    I was referring more to experience and power of that kind of bike. You're at risk of theft anytime. My bf's Honda cb 250 was stolen this summer but he replaced it with his bandit so not all bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    First time wasnt helped by the idiot i brought it off having put the wheel on wonky - by all means do your own work, but do it right! But those 2 are since i got my new bike, with the bandit i never had a problem, but as said i've done 16000 miles this year.
    See I think I'm going to be riding a lot less than you. And it's worth my having anything I buy being given the once over. Thanks for the tip. :yy:

Never driven a car or bike, the first time i rode a motorbike was the monday, and passed on the friday morning, i'm a mountain biker, road biker, motorbiker, and thought at 21 maybe i need to take car lessons, so am just learning to drive.
    Well your just kinda awesome :awesome: ain't ya'? learning to ride before driving, and getting straight onto the motorway. My inquisitive nature has got the better of me and I'm intrigued :holmes:
    How are you finding driving? Is it easy or hard? Do you get nervous? Is it quite dull? Do you enjoy it? haha sorry:o:

I wasnt OCD with the bandit, i wanted to be with the sv's fairing, but a week in scratched the whole left side up, so there goes that plan. Fairings are expensive to replace
    See that would be my nightmare. If I did own a bike It would be my baby even if it was a bit rubbish. Heart breaking to see it scratched. My lifes pretty chaotic most of the time so I think I use my OCD on objects that become *coughs* in my best Golum accent 'precious', to extract a semblance of order and uniformity in my existence. I know it's odd.

I've got arthritis in my shoulders, and knee problems, and one kind doctor told me i'd be in a wheel chair at 35, i have no plans of life catching up with me Oh mate that sounds awful. You pretty amazing as a human being for deciding to ride. Was that part of the reason why you decided to learn to ride rather than drive? I know my girlfriends a little worried but she's been dead supportive. I suspect that she secretly feels i'm being silly doing something that may hamper my ability to work on sets, but she also understands needing to do something even if it's not logical.

I'm assuming your a bloke, if your female, it might be worth looking at blokes clothing as i find it cheaper getting the smalls and extra smalls the men dont want. Its taken me 3 years to find a pair of boots that do up over my abnormal ankles, whcih are RST vortex, and on offer so i was chuffed. The one bit of equipment if you go near a road over 50mph is http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/2...our/Forcefield
    I'm a guy tis' true. I'll have to try things out at a decent store. London can be relatively expensive but you can get most anything with ease. So I'll have a fun day of shopping though probably after my CBT. On the off chance that utterly hate biking or am so bad at it they tell me never to get on the road. ever.

If it does work out. I will definitely invest in that bit of kit. Thanks.

((PS you didn't make quoting you very easy! :P))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinematographic)
    See I think I'm going to be riding a lot less than you. And it's worth my having anything I buy being given the once over. Thanks for the tip. :yy:

Well your just kinda awesome :awesome: ain't ya'? learning to ride before driving, and getting straight onto the motorway. My inquisitive nature has got the better of me and I'm intrigued :holmes: How are you finding driving? Is it easy or hard? Do you get nervous? Is it quite dull? Do you enjoy it? haha sorry:o:
    I'm a disaster driving, i keep thinking im a motorbike and so have more acceleration than i actually do. But having had the bike for 4 years now, i know the road rules and positions so its just remembering i dont lean to go round corners, and that i cant fit into small gaps. I can manage the gears which is what i thought would be the problem, but its not as fun as the bike, but is far more practical.

See that would be my nightmare. If I did own a bike It would be my baby even if it was a bit rubbish. Heart breaking to see it scratched. My lifes pretty chaotic most of the time so I think I use my OCD on objects that become *coughs* in my best Golum accent 'precious', to extract a semblance of order and uniformity in my existence. I know it's odd. My bf got a brand new fz6, he is so paranoid, he'd rahter i didn't move it, and if i park my bike next to his in the garage, hes always making sure i dont scratch it, i know one guy who cleans his bike everytime he takes it out, including chrome polish, and won't take it out in the rain

Oh mate that sounds awful. You pretty amazing as a human being for deciding to ride. Was that part of the reason why you decided to learn to ride rather than drive? I know my girlfriends a little worried but she's been dead supportive. I suspect that she secretly feels i'm being silly doing something that may hamper my ability to work on sets, but she also understands needing to do something even if it's not logical. I've always loved motorbikes, age 3 my uncle let me steer a moped, and i crashed that into a hedge, and instead of crying as it hurt, i cried as i wasnt allowed back on apparently. But i do come from a family of bikers. Ijust feel i might as well enjoy life, it makes the days where i hurt too much to move more bearable. You could always suggest you gf tries biking too this website shows places which you can have a free hour trial http://www.geton.co.uk/content/whats-it-all-about

I'm a guy tis' true. I'll have to try things out at a decent store. London can be relatively expensive but you can get most anything with ease. So I'll have a fun day of shopping though probably after my CBT. On the off chance that utterly hate biking or am so bad at it they tell me never to get on the road. ever. Speak to talya about biking, she had come problems.

If it does work out. I will definitely invest in that bit of kit. Thanks.

((PS you didn't make quoting you very easy! :P))
    I never make life easy :P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.